Little known drum corps facts

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Brandt Crocker developed a mean Boston accent in '75, I believe finals that year were also announced by another. I'm thinking it was Dom.....someone or another (he passed away in the late 70s or early 80s). Perhaps a Boston area alum will know who I'm talking about.

Strange but true facts of DCI:

Cavies made a record 64,457 fans wet themselves with their many performances of "Niagara" and its corresponding water noises throughout the 2000 season.

Phantom Regiment's low brass can reanimate the dead.

BD's use of snare sticks on their tenors (quads) has been known to stop time.

Bluecoats have actually won 3 titles in their history. But nobody was paying attention.

Cadets initially formed as an offshoot of the NJ State Fair Sideshow and their right foot used to be their "second" left foot until the third appendage was bred out of the people of New Jersey in the late 70's. This is why they march all crazy.

SCV have given people wiplash with their hornmoves

Blue Knights have driven their buses off several mountainsides in their history - a total of 37 times in all. The last such accident occurred in 2002 during an especially rowdy "Rookie Talent Night."

Carolina Crown likes purple more than Michael Cesario

The Madison Scouts have been known to resort to cannibalism druing the dog days of July. It is believed that they do this in hopes that the life energy of their victims will add 1-2 pts to their GE scores.

The Boston Crusaders are actually aliens. Their mission while on Earth can be found when the letters of their name are rearranged - Abduct Other Sensors. Spooky.

Glassmen are boring for a reason.

Spirit never folded prior to the JSU era. They were lost in a poker match by Ted Turner.

That is all....for now.

Edited by oswald

Crossmen name came from the 507 Hornets and not the Keystone Regiment

The 507 Hornets came from an American Legion Post named after a war hero named John Wesley Cross... that's where the name CROSSMEN came from.

The administrative team of the Crossmen at the time came from the Keystone Regiment though...

The American Legion Post sponsored the Corps in the first couple years.

They also helped the Corps rebuild the years when things looked very bleak for the corps by running Bingos in the late 80s.

There ARE over 5 Hornets/Keystone marriages as a result of the merge.

Did you know that if you play the Cavaliers 2003 show backwards, it sounds exactly the same is it would played forward! :o

Actually, the funny part about that is that it doesn't sound the same! When they reverse the drill, the melodic lines descend instead of ascend. Also, much of the guard's movement is cut out because the drill was not meant to be performed backwards and it was difficult enough to simply get to the correct sets. The show ended up with 230 sets, the most ever? (Give or take subsets and sets that were removed)

Strange but true facts of DCI:

Spirit never folded prior to the JSU era. They were lost in a poker match by Ted Turner.

That is all....for now.

Yeah, Ted lost them to Bob Barker. :P

Who promptly died afterward while the corps was still on tour. :P

Actually, the funny part about that is that it doesn't sound the same! When they reverse the drill, the melodic lines descend instead of ascend. Also, much of the guard's movement is cut out because the drill was not meant to be performed backwards and it was difficult enough to simply get to the correct sets. The show ended up with 230 sets, the most ever? (Give or take subsets and sets that were removed)

I was talking to a Cavies staff member during that time, and he was pretty sure 2003 was the most drill sets The Cavaliers have used.

~>conner

Unless Brandt Crocker developed a mean Boston accent in '75, I believe finals that year were also announced by another. I'm thinking it was Dom.....someone or another (he passed away in the late 70s or early 80s). Perhaps a Boston area alum will know who I'm talking about.

"The "Dom" of Boston":

The "Dom" was none other than the late Mr Domminic Bianaculi. He was a very well know (And loved) announcer hailing from the Greater Boston area who handled the microphone at many of the Boston Arch Diocese shows, the World Open, Danny Thomas Invitational and the CYO National Championships.

If there ever is a "Drum Corps Announcers" Hall of Fame, Dom, Wes Hobby, Lou Runkle, Brandt Crocker and our own Fran Haring would be my nominations for "Charter memebership".

Elphaba

Michael Boo is really George Hopkins' evil twin.

No, wait. Hopkins is his own evil twin.

Nevermind.

Here is a funny one..

In person, after you get to know him, GH is rather unassuming and a good conversationalist. I would almost say that on a personal level, he is a bit insecure. :music: (not in a bad way, but WAY too many people make him out to be some sort of Machivellian-type figure)