Little known drum corps facts

Cadets in 87 did a run of their show at Epcot, and the tempos got so sky high that they were done in 8 minutes

I bet the contra on the end had fun with that one. :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The popular bass drum mallet holders sold by Pearl and Yamaha started out as broom holders. Each clip was big enough to hold two broom/mops. Two sets just happened to fit perfectly on a marching bass to allow for two sets of mallets. The first corps I saw using these was The Cadets, and in 1990 we finally found them around Chicago in a local hardware store. Two years later Pearl was selling them. They work great for brooms, but better for bass mallets! Mallet Holders

p.s. They are cheaper when sold as broom holders, but home depot doesn't sell them anymore.

Edited by jonnyboy

The soprano soloist from Cadets 1989 is their current drill writer, Jeff Sacktig.

Along those lines, the mello soloist from Phantom '91 is none other than J.D. Shaw, their current caption head. The sop soloist is Ray Vasquez, who was caption head of the Blue Stars for a couple of years. John Meehan was a soloist for BD in the late 80s... I don't remember exactly what years. I believe both Murray Gusseck and Colin McNutt were in SCV's tenor line in 1992, but I could be mistaken. I'm sure tons of people that marched in that era know these things, but it provides some history for people that know them only as the big instructors of today. Oh yeah, Gino Cipriani marched BD in 84 and some other years... Sam can fill you in on which ones, exactly.

Edited by Malambo13

torn8o told me a pretty cool story about Gino, who marched 83-85 and finally got his ring on staff in 94... If he ever checks this topic out he can fill you in. It makes me all tingly inside and reminds me what drum corps is all about.

Along those lines, the mello soloist from Phantom '91 is none other than J.D. Shaw, their current caption head. The sop soloist Oh yeah, Gino Cipriani marched BD in 84 and some other years... Sam can fill you in on which ones, exactly.

83, 84, and 85.....since BD won in 82 and 86, that's why his nickname for a whle was Gi-NO RING Ciprani...

Brandt Crocker has announced every DCI Division I finalist corps except one performance, the winning Anaheim Kingmen in 1972. The reason is contest director Bob Briske came up to him during World Finlals that first year and said he would announce Kingsmen if Brandt wanted to see them from atop the press box. If you listen to the introductions, you'll hear the difference in voices.

The popular bass drum mallet holders sold by Pearl and Yamaha started out as broom holders. Each clip was big enough to hold two broom/mops. Two sets just happened to fit perfectly on a marching bass to allow for two sets of mallets. The first corps I saw using these was The Cadets, and in 1990 we finally found them around Chicago in a local hardware store. Two years later Pearl was selling them. They work great for brooms, but better for bass mallets! Mallet Holders

p.s. They are cheaper when sold as broom holders, but home depot doesn't sell them anymore.

I still buy them at The Container Store. Exact same thing, over 1/2 the price.

Brandt Crocker has announced every DCI Division I finalist corps except one performance, the winning Anaheim Kingmen in 1972. The reason is contest director Bob Briske came up to him during World Finlals that first year and said he would announce Kingsmen if Brandt wanted to see them from atop the press box. If you listen to the introductions, you'll hear the difference in voices.

Michael Boo is really George Hopkins' evil twin.

No, wait. Hopkins is his own evil twin.

Nevermind.