How much does the average H.S Band Dir. Make

I'm talking your average high school band teacher with just an undergraduate degree and say, four years of experience?

Just curious...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking your average high school band teacher with just an undergraduate degree and say, four years of experience?

Just curious...

I don't think you're gonna get too many responses... not to mention, each district is different in what their starting salary is. Some schools will say that a marching band is extra-curricular and the director will get an extra stipend for the activity.. other districts will say that marching band is school day class and the teacher is just on salary.

I'd have to say to be more specific as to what state, area of the state, and to have that information be sent to you by PM.

This is probably a conservative guesstimate but I think for here in SoCal i'd say mid-lower 30k.

Yup. Possibly up to $40k. Good luck trying to get a masters after that to get the extra couple hundred a month after you start too.

My last year of teaching (I taught choir, but it was the same salary schedule) was 2003, my fifth overall. My salary, including my colorguard director/musical director/jazz choir director stipends, was just under $31K. FYI, this was in Iowa in the Des Moines metropolitan area. The region will also influence teacher salary.

Depends on the state. Each state has their own salary scale and you get a pay raise for each year you teach.

I started at 26,000/yr in NC. (barely making ends meet) I got my annual raise plus 8% thanks to Gov. Easley giving the teachers a raise. I'm making 29,000 this year, not including my supplement which each district pays out to their employees based on cost of living in the area.

I get very little for assisting with marching band. The HS director works on an 11 month salary as opposed to the normal 10 month salary the most teachers are paid on.

Come to Texas where everything is bigger. Starting salary in my district is now 41,000 for a first year teacher. There is good teacher pay in the state and some great programs to teach at.

Yee Haw!!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Which is why it's hard as a #@$#@$#@$# to find a job down there :) which is also why they get such great teachers....which is also why they are all do #### good :)

I'm not a HS Band Director, but our district in IL is mid-upper-30's, but after stipends probably mid 40's.

After 10 years, mid 50's with stipends.