How much does the average H.S Band Dir. Make

Depends heavily on the which state you're talking about, and even the specific district. In Washington State, it would be around 32,000 per year. With an extra 90 undergrad credits or a Master's it would be 37,000. WA is one of the states where getting a Master's really pays off.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on what school district, what state, and so on. it really does vary.

It depends on the state and district. But I will say that TX has a pretty decent pay scale (and I am only a Jr. High Director).

Montgomery county (eastern PA) is the highest paying as far as school districts in Pennsylvania... and has some great music programs.

If you're interested in a particular area, look for it - all the figures on teacher salary are public domain - there should be salary grids accessible on most school system websites.

Clark County (Las Vegas Valley, etc.) NV starts at $31K PLUS the most enormous super-awesomest benefits package in the known universe! If you are "moving" to Nevada to teach, you get a $2K moving/relocation bonus... AND ... Because the valley is growing at an unheard of rate, and because of our pecular economic circumstances, you will never want for a decent purchasing budget.

Plus... They need teachers so badly, they hired me with no public full time experience AND a master's degree. (I started at $34K last year) Finding a full time art teaching job is almost more difficult than finding a job teaching high school band... But Clark Co. hires several every year - and at our rate of growth, if you're good at what you do, there is always a chance that you could open a new school - in other words, you'd be the first band director, set the tone for the future, etc.

My advice: Get that Master's, then get to Nevada. :)

OK... I'm done recruitng now. PM for more juicy tidbits on teaching Clark County's children!

-TGB

every state has a different minimum, then there is each district if they have the money and the desire to pay a director XX amount of dollars. in Iowa full-time band director at a public school makes about 30K first year out. give or take a buck, so after 4 years i'd say add 4-6 more on top.

I hope all you band directors buy my first concert band work to be published, "Variation Suite," a grade 3 1/2 piece that is scored so any instrumentation can play it, just published by TRN Music Publishing (the same folks who do Holsinger). I need the royalties. :)