Capital Regiment Website

There goes one of my potential places to march next year... :(

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Semi-related, I'm just amazed that Bays ran such a great organization from '92 to the early 00's, then things fell apart. Any idea why the sudden change?

I personally think it was that sundial in '05. :)

And if CR members are looking for a great place to go, travel just up the road to the Marion Cadets. I hear they have a super management team there....

[Note for the humor-impaired .... these were attempts to lighten things up just a bit...]

Edited by hughesmr

It may cost the members $1.25 but the corps has to spend quite a bit more than that to own a cook truck, maintain it and transport it. Not to mention the human resource cost.

I would also take issue with the previous poster who said drum crops today are so much more physically demanding. Certainly the movement from a drill standpoint is quite a bit more but consider the fact that prior to 1980, most corps marched all tempos, from 90 bpm to 180 bpm at a high mark time.

There is a favorite picture of mine of a Madison drill rehearsal in 1976 taken on tour somewhere where the entire corps has their shirts off. You see 120 guys all lean and cut, hardly an ounce of body fat anywhere. The same thing happened my two years (77-78) by mid summer guys were in the best shape of their lives. I look now at junior corps members and its not uncommon to see some pudgy ones, even with the higher drill demands they have now. So without getting too scientific about the respective physical demands of then vs. now, there is at least an argument to be made that physical demand is not necessarily higher now than before.m Its counterintuitive I understand to hold this view but my own anecdotal experience says otherwise. There just want some college biophysics guy around back then to measure cardiovascular load on 1971 Troopers or 76 Phantom Regiment, so we'll never really know.

And todays kids are not stupid they can be encouraged to eat right. All restaurants are not fast food in fact Id wager a fair amount of them provide a more nutritious meal than any cook wagon with a drum corps.

My point is that its not really self evident that corps are worse off without cook trucks, and in the context of this discussion, a cash strapped Cap Reg might have been able to attend to other details better if the kids were responsible for their own meals. (This of course does not include providing the necessary hydration at rehearsal sites.) Will you give me that at least?

Man..you can tell it has been a looooong while since you either toured with a corps or been aware of what is needed to operate a corps.

b**bs As a member of CR you DO NOT speak for me. As for calling a volunteer who helped and gave their time for you and the corp a fool speaks volumes for itself. Isnt that your mom also on this forum posting? Please speak for yourself, you dont have the credibility of speaking for me. Wasnt that you that cussed out a lady at a show site because you about ran over her on the four wheeler? credibility going down.... Wasnt that you and David who is also posting here that at the Capital Regiment Banquet for all members when rick was outside started chanting Rick sucks..... That was the members banquet,,,, it was for us not for your usual antics which you did all year. If we want to get it all out lets get it out..

The thing that bothers me the most out of everything and it hasnt been commented on yet....... The person, Matt. who started all this is the one who admitted that he personally knew that the two drivers where under the influence and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. If as he says he had the members in his best interest at all times, why in the world would you knowingly let drivers drive under the influence....... Thanks Matt for watching our back and taking care of this. I mean this sarcastic.

I am glad you got your money and thanks for the pictures you have been promising from the first of the year. I know my parents appreciate it. I hope this forum topic is kept up a little longer so people can actually see what the purpose of all this was. I just wished you would have not tried to spread your junk during the season to the members. I know I got tired of hearing you moan each day as you came outside afternoons a lot of times. Well I better stop, there is always two sides to every story and it looks like the ones that know the real story and have no agenda to all this have shown a lot of class by not posting. Things went wrong, a lot of things went wrong, things will have to be answered for it, but not to you.

This is getting really ugly. <**> I would suggest a close.

It may cost the members $1.25 but the corps has to spend quite a bit more than that to own a cook truck, maintain it and transport it. Not to mention the human resource cost.

I would also take issue with the previous poster who said drum crops today are so much more physically demanding. Certainly the movement from a drill standpoint is quite a bit more but consider the fact that prior to 1980, most corps marched all tempos, from 90 bpm to 180 bpm at a high mark time.

There is a favorite picture of mine of a Madison drill rehearsal in 1976 taken on tour somewhere where the entire corps has their shirts off. You see 120 guys all lean and cut, hardly an ounce of body fat anywhere. The same thing happened my two years (77-78) by mid summer guys were in the best shape of their lives. I look now at junior corps members and its not uncommon to see some pudgy ones, even with the higher drill demands they have now. So without getting too scientific about the respective physical demands of then vs. now, there is at least an argument to be made that physical demand is not necessarily higher now than before.m Its counterintuitive I understand to hold this view but my own anecdotal experience says otherwise. There just want some college biophysics guy around back then to measure cardiovascular load on 1971 Troopers or 76 Phantom Regiment, so we'll never really know.

And todays kids are not stupid they can be encouraged to eat right. All restaurants are not fast food in fact Id wager a fair amount of them provide a more nutritious meal than any cook wagon with a drum corps.

My point is that its not really self evident that corps are worse off without cook trucks, and in the context of this discussion, a cash strapped Cap Reg might have been able to attend to other details better if the kids were responsible for their own meals. (This of course does not include providing the necessary hydration at rehearsal sites.) Will you give me that at least?

Wrong on all counts. I marched in 1980; and I have involved with marching activities since then as both writing and instructing...and MY knowledge of the activity goes against your assertions, with all due respect. And do not assume that kids, on their own, will use good judgement in meals. And at the junior corps level, the staff is in loco parentis...even with the college-age marchers.

And frankly, I have seen consistently (and shockingly) good meals produced in the 'cook trucks' as you call them...they are actually mobile kitchens with food-service quality stoves, ovens, and freezers. The meals I have taken in as a visitor and host of a corps have been more than just acceptable; they have been dad-gum outstanding!

Of course, this begs to ask: If a corps at the D1 level cannot provide for a full tour at the level of protection called for, then what business does it have going on tour to start with? I know that is draconian (and fuel costs do impact negatively on this), but this is the bottom line.

And remember, Madison has always been the exception....and that is why they are admired!! (And I have STILL seen big guys in that corp during the 70's-80's! Just not too many....)

Edited by prodigal bari

b**bs As a member of CR you DO NOT speak for me. As for calling a volunteer who helped and gave their time for you and the corp a fool speaks volumes for itself. Isnt that your mom also on this forum posting? Please speak for yourself, you dont have the credibility of speaking for me. Wasnt that you that cussed out a lady at a show site because you about ran over her on the four wheeler? credibility going down.... Wasnt that you and David who is also posting here that at the Capital Regiment Banquet for all members when rick was outside started chanting Rick sucks..... That was the members banquet,,,, it was for us not for your usual antics which you did all year. If we want to get it all out lets get it out..

of course i don't speak for everyone at capital, and i'm sorry that nobody caught to what i thought was pretty blatently clear sarcasm.

just because someone volunteers doesn't mean they can't say dumb things.

ran over her on a four wheeler? hahaha...no. not even close. kinda funny, but not even remotely close. if you want that story i'll message you with it. As far as any "rick sucks" chants, again, no-i wasn't apart or even aware of that happening. and i'm pretty sure david wasn't either, because he was with me most of that night. and my usual antics? please, do explain that, because i'm pretty sure you don't know anything about me.

I am sure, like all parents, we are grateful that our kids are home and safe!!!!

A super Thank You to Matt & Megan & rest of the staff for getting through the summer!!!

All in all I don't think there is a CR member who would have traded the summer for anything else.

There are still lots of questions to be answered by Rick, but I suspect something just wasn't right about finances (i.e. "missed the Sysco truck" stories when there was never an order placed!). Still we do want DCI to look into these events, and details. No one, staff nor member, should ever be placed at risk by lack of food, water breaks, or non-qualified bus drivers!

Still glad to help out when we could. Oh, We were the parents who showed up with a little extra Gatorade in Lulling, TX. My wife took the Honda, which was also stuffed with Breakfast rolls thanks to Becky! I think it was hit with everyone, but we had over 900 20 oz bottles Gatorade and a bunch of bottled water... and that was NOT enough for two days! Between the Gatorade and bottled water it was over 150 gallons (1200 pounds). Add another 900 (yes, you read that correctly) pounds of ice and it starts to give you the idea of how much it takes! Mike (the cool bus driver) was also out getting another 400 pounds of ice during that time! So despite our best efforts to keep the kids hydrated in Lulling, still a few had heat exhaustion! If anyone knows Mike, tell him thanks! (He was polite and loved being with the kids, but can not blame him one bit for leaving after San Antonio).

So after all that, first thing our son is thinking about is touring in '07, and we're watching COSTCO for Gatorade sales to stock up. Hmm, hope those ice chest are on sale in October!

Tom

Edited by CPTX_TubaDad

I am sure, like all parents, we are grateful that our kids are home and safe!!!!

A super Thank You to Matt & Megan & rest of the staff for getting through the summer!!!

All in all I don't think there is a CR member who would have traded the summer for anything else.

There are still lots of questions to be answered by Rick, but I suspect something just wasn't right about finances (i.e. "missed the Sysco truck" stories when there was never an order placed!). Still we do want DCI to look into these events, and details. No one, staff nor member, should ever be placed at risk by lack of food, water breaks, or non-qualified bus drivers!

Still glad to help out when we could. Oh, We were the parents who showed up with a little extra Gatorade in Lulling, TX. My wife took the Honda, which was also stuffed with Breakfast rolls thanks to Becky! I think it was hit with everyone, but we had over 900 20 oz bottles Gatorade and a bunch of bottled water... and that was NOT enough for two days! Between the Gatorade and bottled water it was over 150 gallons (1200 pounds). Add another 900 (yes, you read that correctly) pounds of ice and it starts to give you the idea of how much it takes! Mike (the cool bus driver) was also out getting another 400 pounds of ice during that time! So despite our best efforts to keep the kids hydrated in Lulling, still a few had heat exhaustion! If anyone knows Mike, tell him thanks! (He was polite and loved being with the kids, but can not blame him one bit for leaving after San Antonio).

So after all that, first thing our son is thinking about is touring in '07, and we're watching COSTCO for Gatorade sales to stock up. Hmm, hope those ice chest are on sale in October!

Tom

OT - as a drum corps parent myself, you sound like a great and supportive Dad. Good on you, sir! I wish there were more parents like you and your wife arond the activity. :worthy:

Man..you can tell it has been a looooong while since you either toured with a corps or been aware of what is needed to operate a corps.

Gee since you put so much thought into your answer, I guess Ill have to change my mind :worthy:

Seriously, has human physiology been reinvented since 1970 or something? Feel free to describe your differences of opinion with actual rebuttal please.

It may cost the members $1.25 but the corps has to spend quite a bit more than And todays kids are not stupid they can be encouraged to eat right. All restaurants are not fast food in fact Id wager a fair amount of them provide a more nutritious meal than any cook wagon with a drum corps.

I seem to be doing a lot of disagreeing with you these days, Dan.

I think it's not a case of "old vs new" or your preference over my preference, I think it's just a matter of exposure to the way things work now vs exposure to the way things worked then.

I believe the $1.25 cost per member is INCLUSIVE of keeping the truck (the costs for which are divided out and depreciated over the life of the truck as each new budget is agreed to) and is what the corps uses to establish the food budget for the season -- that gets figured in to member dues and fundraising goals. $1.25 may or may not be an accurate number any longer, but that's what it represents.

As for "most restaurants providing a more nutritious meal than any drum corps cook truck" -- well.. again, it falls to your experience vs. mine. I strongly encourage you to spend a weekend working on a cook truck (not at a camp.. on tour) and I think you'll see that most of the cook trucks are run more like a school cafeteria (albeit a travelling one) than a restaurant.. though some more closely resemble a restaurant, as well.

Corps these days (for the most part) do a VERY good job of anticipating and meeting the nutritional needs of corps members.

I know each year, there's a meeting that includes the Cook Truck coordinator, Jeff, Bruno and some of the head cook staff at Cavaliers to discuss what the boys liked/didn't like.. what we anticipated and what was actual.. throughout the season, staff will periodically check the trash to see what got handed out but not finished.. we keep track of what guys come back and ask for seconds on.. and early in the season, we hand out a questionnaire to returning members asking them about menu choices and "best/worst" of opinions. Administration is VERY involved in how and what that corps is fed.. and with nurses/doctors on tour all summer, if they think we're not giving them enough vegetables (or grains, or whatever).. we can adapt and give them more.. but there is ALWAYS a corps leader or health professional watching the nutritional intake of the corps.

I can see how your model would work in your time.. but considering some of the housing sites I've been at on tour.. out in the middle of tobacco fields with 5 - 10 miles between us and the closest "strip mall".. and how often corps are fed at show sites or at odd hours, having a cook vehicle makes the most sense for many corps today.