Rationale for repeating SCV's "Phantom of the Opera" sho

I will reiterate what others have said. In the 60s, 70s, and 80s it was common for corps to hold various tunes over from year to year, and sometimes a complete show. There are many similarities with BD 79 and 80, with SCV 1984 and 85, SCV 86 and 87 (both Russian shows), Phantom Regiment 1981 and 82 (Spartacus), Madison Scouts doing Ballet in Brass in 1984 and 1985, and on and on.

The funny thing is that the crowd usually ate it up. When I first heard the Bridgemen on record playing In The Stone, I wanted to hear it live by them and no one else.

Here is something else to consider. When Phantom of the Opera came out, in 1987 I think, it was so hard to get tickets for that few people really knew what the music or the whole production was like. SCV was one of the rare places in the world, if you think about it, that you could get the Phantom of the Opera musical experience if you didn't have tickets to the show in NY or London. The show was not on the road yet, and it sold to packed houses for years. In 88 and 89 it is doubtful that most people SCV played to would have seen this musical, so we were lucky to get the experience of that wonderful music for two summers...and they were two great summer for sure!

I thank SCV for getting permission to do the music, and I know most fans were loving the 2-year ride. I didn't see the musical until 1992.

How about Scouts in '91 & '92 with City of Angles? Every time a corp has repeated a show I always like the first year the best, but talking with friends in Scouts they always liked the second year better.

I will reiterate what others have said. In the 60s, 70s, and 80s it was common for corps to hold various tunes over from year to year, and sometimes a complete show.

Yup...Blessed Sac's 69 and 70 shows were mostly the same.

We kept our opener from 69 for 1970...Gounod's "Queen of Sheba".

Blue Rock did "Baby Elephant Walk" forever. Kilties Syne....2-7 "Danny Boy" and "Crown Imperial".

ETC.....

How about Scouts in '91 & '92 with City of Angles? Every time a corp has repeated a show I always like the first year the best, but talking with friends in Scouts they always liked the second year better.

:P

I like angles too! ^0^

I thank SCV for getting permission to do the music, and I know most fans were loving the 2-year ride. I didn't see the musical until 1992.

Actually they didn't, and paid out the ### for the oversight later on. That's part of the reason why DCI is so conscientious about securing rights for music these days.

(But I'm glad they did it anyway.)

I would have to disagree with you about folks not knowing the music ... The London Cast recording had been available for a few years and was a really big seller in the U.S.

Yup...Blessed Sac's 69 and 70 shows were mostly the same.

We kept our opener from 69 for 1970...Gounod's "Queen of Sheba".

Blue Rock did "Baby Elephant Walk" forever. Kilties Syne....2-7 "Danny Boy" and "Crown Imperial".

ETC.....

... and how many years in a row did Spirit play "Let It Be Me"? (... and it kept on getting better each year.) Not to mention Boston with "Conquest".

Golly, '89 SCV. How I loved that show, and take TLC of my aging videotape of the PBS broadcast. Have watched it a gazillion times and can hum every horn part. What a thrill it must have been to perform! Who knows how the in-the-tunnel "gipper speech" went, but anybody can one look at 'em and tell that they KNEW that by god, they were in show business, and they went out there and didn't take any prisoners. It was fierce and passionate and fabulous, and it still makes me want to hold my breath until it's all over.

Yeah, I love '89 SCV. If somebody told me tomorrow that they were in that thing, I'd hug their neck :)