Thoughts on Academy

Why do you wear a tour jacket, a t-shirt, or a ring? Its because you want to represent your corps. Like it or not you are a representative of your corps all season and even when its over. Corps directors and caption heads say this all the time. If you run your mouth or act rudely you are representing your corps in a negative way That's why you are told to behave. Don't get me wrong, I have heard a lot of good about Academy's organization, but I don't recommend jumping on people who have had ill encounters with them. They encountered those who represented their corps poorly. It happens, it's the corps and it's member's responsibility to uphold their image.

oh and BTW, the statements made in my post no way represent that of East Coast Jazz, Metropolitan Youth Services of Malden, Mass, the trumpet section, or the marching members of 2003 and 2005.

Exactly, if your gonna wear your corps jacket, represent your corps. Don't trash talk another corps and don't expect anyone to hear it. And if your gonna do it, be bold about it.

But I'm sure the individuals I speak of are idiots anyway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, if your gonna wear your corps jacket, represent your corps. Don't trash talk another corps and don't expect anyone to hear it. And if your gonna do it, be bold about it.

But I'm sure the individuals I speak of are idiots anyway.

The individuals you speak of should also include a parent or staff member who, after the corps' performance in prelims, made a comment in the stands, in front of everyone else there, saying that they were going to go get their ring size then.

Why do you wear a tour jacket, a t-shirt, or a ring? Its because you want to represent your corps. Like it or not you are a representative of your corps all season and even when its over. Corps directors and caption heads say this all the time. If you run your mouth or act rudely you are representing your corps in a negative way That's why you are told to behave. Don't get me wrong, I have heard a lot of good about Academy's organization, but I don't recommend jumping on people who have had ill encounters with them. They encountered those who represented their corps poorly. It happens, it's the corps and it's member's responsibility to uphold their image.

oh and BTW, the statements made in my post no way represent that of East Coast Jazz, Metropolitan Youth Services of Malden, Mass, the trumpet section, or the marching members of 2003 and 2005.

I find it slightly amusing that you say how "If you run your mouth or act rudely you are representing your corps in a negative way" and yet, after "running your mouth" you say at the end how you do not represent your corps. A signature on here weighs the same as "wearing your jacket, t-shirt, or ring."

Lets think before we talk. Then maybe I'll listen.

<**>

I find it slightly amusing that you say how "If you run your mouth or act rudely you are representing your corps in a negative way" and yet, after "running your mouth" you say at the end how you do not represent your corps. A signature on here weighs the same as "wearing your jacket, t-shirt, or ring."

<**>

The "oh and BTW, the statements made in my post no way represent that of East Coast Jazz, Metropolitan Youth Services of Malden, Mass, the trumpet section, or the marching members of 2003 and 2005." part was sarcastic because I am fully aware that although officially I don't represent my corps, what I say and do is interpreted as that of being typical of members of ECJ. It was my way to trying to drive the point home and point out that although people's signatures say that, it is never really the case. I have always tried to represent my corps well in this forum and if you read my previous posts they are usually of me trying to do so. The post was well thought out, and the sarcasm was purposely subtle.

Edited by tborden10

<**>

<**>

With all due respect, you should actually read an entire post before commenting...our friend from ECJ was saying that what he was saying was his own opinions and observations, and not representing the ECJ organization...

Sounds like he actually DID think before he spoke.

The individuals you speak of should also include a parent or staff member who, after the corps' performance in prelims, made a comment in the stands, in front of everyone else there, saying that they were going to go get their ring size then.

I heard that too. Also, one of their parents walked right through our hornline as we were waiting to get onto the field at finals for retreat, while asked repeatedly to go around. They ignored, pushed right through us, and went to congratulate their corps. That's disrespectful to me, and probably everyone else in the corps that noticed too.

even more than you can't judge an entire corps based on a few members, you certainly can't judge an entire corps on a few PARENTS. the parents don't go through the experience, don't have time with the staff, don't have the attitudes necessarily that the majority of the members do.

think of all those stories you hear about dads/parents at soccer/hockey/basketball games that just go crazy at a kids sporting event. some parents live thru their kids, or get a little over zealous. it happens, and the parents, in the excitement of their children just winning something, might not have been acting entirely appropriately. i'm in no way making excuses for them, and i agree the breaking ranks thing isn't cool, but don't judge a corps by the PARENTS in the stands.

So I'm starting to post a little more in the 2/3 threads again. Are you guys still bickering over this? Why is this so important? I mean, come on. The season is over, the damage has been done, the horse has been dead and kicked around enough times, don't you think? What is there to prove here? I mean, really, what is it?