Waterworks?

gmencontra

While w/ Gmen, we had an exercise called waterworks(or something like that). The exercise was simple. The entire hornline would get into a pool or lake. After arcing it up, we would play with our bells in the water. The idea was to make the bubbles come out at an even pace. In 93, some reporter got a photo of the Gmen hornline in lake Michigan. He submitted it to one of those trash mags at the grocery store and they printed it!!! Anyway, I always thought "why in the #### are we doing this?". It was tough on contras because we were always in the deep end or deepest part of the lake. After we emptied our horns out. We would drop a space chord into progressions, and WOW!!!!! Somehow waterworks made our sound a ton better. Anyone ever particpate in something like it?

ep, we did that at winter camps. Although we didn't arc it up while doin it. We took turns in the stationary tubs at the corps hall. Then after everyone got through with making even bubbles, we'd go back and arc it up. It works wonders. Its an awesome feeling. We were supposed to do it on tour at a lake or something, but never had time when we were near water.

While w/ Gmen, we had an exercise called waterworks(or something like that). The exercise was simple. The entire hornline would get into a pool or lake. After arcing it up, we would play with our bells in the water. The idea was to make the bubbles come out at an even pace. In 93, some reporter got a photo of the Gmen hornline in lake Michigan. He submitted it to one of those trash mags at the grocery store and they printed it!!! Anyway, I always thought "why in the #### are we doing this?". It was tough on contras because we were always in the deep end or deepest part of the lake. After we emptied our horns out. We would drop a space chord into progressions, and WOW!!!!! Somehow waterworks made our sound a ton better. Anyone ever particpate in something like it?

I think I have seen some pics like that. I saw that and was wondering what the #%$@ they were doing. That is a pretty interesting exercise.

I've heard of other hornlines standing in pools because that's supposed to improve your carriage and breathing somehow, but I've never heard of anyone playing with their bells in the water.. did you guys have a pond at gwest or something?

I've heard of other hornlines standing in pools because that's supposed to improve your carriage and breathing somehow, but I've never heard of anyone playing with their bells in the water.. did you guys have a pond at gwest or something?

No we actually went to the Y in Toledo for orientation camp in 94. We would also hit lakes along the way. Usually into a partial free day. The locals would eat it up. :angry:

Is this still a Glassmen tradition? :)

I've heard about BD doing something like that where they'd take over a swimming pool and have a partially submerged hornline sectional. I can see how having the added pressure of the water on your lungs can help build up your playing muscles, but I imagine the benefit might only be short term if you didn't do it frequently.

We did a breathing exercise on tour last summer that gave the same kind of effect (but didn't have any pools involved) called the "forced held breath" exercise. It involved people partnering up, sucking in as much air as they could and then pressing HARD with their fists on their partner's lungs and stomach. It actually worked REALLY well in the short term, the first time we did it I felt a noticible increase in the quantity of air I could move. However, when we did it in Dekalb, my partner was a bit of a dumb### and did a modified version of the move, and basically held me from behind like he was giving me the heimlich. I wound up blacking out and, since I weighed a lot more than he did, he dropped me, right on top of my euph. Bent the leadpipe in a bit, and I wound up sitting on the ground with a fat lip thinking, "Why am I sitting on the ground? Why does my head hurt? WHAT THE #### HAPPENED TO MY HORN!!!"

Edited by Galen