I&E, Yikes!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out about the Tenor bugles a few weeks ago and here would be a chance to hear what those historic horns sound like. :rolleyes: And played by three guys with a lot of history and knowing a lot of history about horns in our activity. :worthy:

####, #### and ####!!!!! Another reason to be upset that I won't be bringing my Tenor Bari this year. Maybe next year there'll be a "Historic" Section in I&E. B)

Oh yeah, not seeing that "well-known name" is yet another reason why not being there this year is a bummer.

Historical Area:

Have a I&E area for people 55 and up (boy that should really keep entries limited).

Saprano, French Horn, Barie, Bass Horn section.

(all horns must be no more that Valve or, Valve, & Rotor or Side)

Snare, Tenor, Base, Drum section.

(Tenors must be the single drum type. bass may be single or two mallots)

Flag, Rifle, Sabor Guard (ensemble) section

(Flags must be Standard size of 3x5 or 4x6. Rifles must have all (non working) parts)

Ensemble of any combination of all the above areas (horn,Drum add cymbles, Guard) not to exceed 18.

All Equipment and music must be Era correct. ( 1940 to 1980 ) This time fram could be upped 10 years in 2016, and every ten years after that)

Even if an "Un Official" event it sure would be fun for us Older people). Lets face it with the date's listed above it is a Time limited event. Just like my Vietnam Veterans group. A time will come when there is no one left. (Hey, there's a thought. Just out live the rest!)

Then the "Old Ancient Order of Drum Corps" Champ ensemble could could Present the Colors at the start of Finals. The "Mini Corps Champ" could bring the Finalists back on the field for "Retreat" and Awards at the end. That would TIE "Old and New" DCA together.

Oh well, just a fun thought!

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

This could be both fun and educational. I'd suggest making it "equipment" rather than "age" specific, however:

Bugles, valveless or single valve, any key (there were many varieties back in the day), with or without slip slide or rotor.

Rope or lug tension snare, single tenor, hand cymbals, bass and rudimental bass.

Actually, there were a couple of "ancient" rope drums being played at I&E the last few years. I don't know whether they have their own category or were simply demonstrating.

Incidentally, there are many published arrangements for the traditional drum corps extant in private collections. They are written by the likes of Wm. Ludwig, Sr. and Jim Donnelly. If I can interest 20 or so folks in playing these, we'll make a recording. I already have sufficient instruments in my collection.

This could be both fun and educational. I'd suggest making it "equipment" rather than "age" specific, however:

Bugles, valveless or single valve, any key (there were many varieties back in the day), with or without slip slide or rotor.

Rope or lug tension snare, single tenor, hand cymbals, bass and rudimental bass.

Actually, there were a couple of "ancient" rope drums being played at I&E the last few years. I don't know whether they have their own category or were simply demonstrating.

Incidentally, there are many published arrangements for the traditional drum corps extant in private collections. They are written by the likes of Wm. Ludwig, Sr. and Jim Donnelly. If I can interest 20 or so folks in playing these, we'll make a recording. I already have sufficient instruments in my collection.

Thanks for the "Know How" of things. Those are details I had not thought of or knew!

Also like the idea od including "educational" part of things.

This Both "Educational" and"History" type thing sounds real Good.

Agree as I'm "only" 49 :rolleyes:

Have two Ludwig DC manuals from 1930 with arrangements for bugles with and without the "crook" attachment. The crook allowed the old valveless bugles the ability to play the 1st valve notes. But a bugler could only play "open" (no crook) or "1st valve" (with crook) notes the whole show. He couldn't yank out the crook as needed. Will have to put some arrangements on my Flickr account as they are hard to describe. Most of them, the crook and crookless horns take turns playing. (Of course ironlips already knows this. :P )

The 2006 CorpsVets Contras Present Excerpts From Top Gun Coming Soon to an I&E Venue Near You...

top_gun.jpg