Crowd Reactions

Crowd responses change over time in ALL performance mediums. Look at Opera. Back when it started, it was absolutely the norm to talk, whoop and holler, catcall to the stage, make comments out loud about the character(s) and just generally carry on in a crazy manner.

Now, try that today. I dare you. :P

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows are lame now...I mean, going to them, not what people are doing. There are not those moments that cause an "eruption" anymore. I often feel as though I am at the symphony when I watch some corps. It's polite applause and thats about it.

I remember in 1999 when we were coming on the field in our company front on finals night we actually stepped off wrong becasue we couldn't hear the command of the drum major. Now it was our faults, but f**k it, i'd rather us miss a step off because the crowd is freaking than have the audience just give us a "respectable response."

I wish the crowds were more like they are at major sporting events where the crowd is actually rowdy and almost at a point of utter chaos.

I'm feeling a little better about my memories, or maybe...worse about some of yours. Which is it?

I can only speak about the years I marched, but it is also my recollection that just the sight of a corps entering the stadium caused spontaneous applause by the fans. People were up and down throughout the show going crazy.

This year, I dared to stand twice in the middle of a show and both times upon just getting onto my feet the person behind me yelled, "SIT DOWN!" That was the loudest I heard that guy the whole night.

I'm assuming that you are operating under the assumption that corps today are not as entertaining as the corps that don't exist anymore (which is all of them right now.) But I propose that while, yes, shows are growing "deeper" and more esoteric, crowds are becoming more respectful. That may or may not be a good thing in drum corps. There are just as many emotional and impacting moments (maybe not to YOU personally, but remember, that's what your tapes are for) today. So I think that the audience dynamic is the one that really changed. Because all the people who went nuts for every note played didn't pass down that mentality effectively enough. There are lots of times when I just wanted to stand up and go nuts. But no one else around me did. And I could tell that they were into it. The "awkward" factor of everyone glaring at when you even clap is a real deterent...And yes, I did get dirty looks for clapping when no one else was...At a very impacting moment.

Edited by PhantomFanT10

IMO...I'm much more interested in the number of people showing up then in how much noise they make.

No intentions to say whether I like this years shows or not, or whether or not shows are better or worse, or any other hidden agenda.

Nor am I going to get into a "yeah, it was better back then because people threw toilet paper" argument. This is meant to merely answer my curiosity about the state of my memory.

The Blue Stars did, indeed, receive a great deal of enthusiastic crowd response. I was seated near a large group of Blue Stars' supporters who cheered the corps at every turn. Their energy was infectious -- I found myself getting caught up in the applause.

Any corps seems to get enthusiastic responces, how many corps actually put a show on the field to cause spontaneous standing O's in the middle of a show? Even by watching previous season on DVD, they are a hard thing to find these days.

Any corps seems to get enthusiastic responces, how many corps actually put a show on the field to cause spontaneous standing O's in the middle of a show? Even by watching previous season on DVD, they are a hard thing to find these days.

sburstall, I noticed your little animated avitar. Are you still looking for soft boobies?