2006 DCP-I Rules Congress

Galen

If that is the case then what is the point of having a "Regional" Championship, if you have corps from all over competing in it? A regional show should be just that, a show with all the corps from one region competing. But, that is why we vote on things.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proposal Name: Geographical Regions

Proposal Details: Your corps must compete in the Region that they call home. For instance, if the Tennessee Nipples are from Memphis, they must compete in the South Regional. The regions would be defined by the map at the bottom (which is negotiable).

Rationale: This would make it a true regional competiton.

Submitted by Tennessee Nipples.

usamap2.jpg

sorry if this has been said already...

what if my corps wanted to make a westcoast tour, and were still on the westcoast by regionals? it would be a tough trek back to my region, and I'd have to allow several days break to get back. Not to mention, if I do take a westcoast tour, there might be some shows that I don't want to sacrafice because I have to travel 2-3 days to and from my regional.

~>conner

That's what the whole point of having the PC Rim and Euro tour. The main focus is on the Finals, so there has to be a breakoff with the international tour. The other alternative we could consider is having a European, PC Rim and maybe a South American tour schedule that parallels the North American and have thier own regionals. Then we could consider a true DCP-I Finals besides the US. But none of this would happen unless 1) we get a lot of fantasy corps. I'm thinking at least 75 corps, just in D1 and 2) There's a call for it from the directors. The PCRim and Euro are just now starting to get interest from the corps. Until then, what is set up will do.

As I've got the schedule set up now, the European tour will run for a little over 2 weeks in the first half of tour and will end the week before regional finals. The Pacific tour would run the last two weeks of the season, and their "championship" would coincide with the last major regional show before finals week (with enough time for the corps to get back for finals week).

Haven't thought much about a South American tour yet (although I do have both Mexico City and Monterrey on the tour), and I agree with Steve that at this point it's probably not feasible. However, something we could consider might be to have a few different "global tours" lined up (South America, Africa, Europe, Pacific, etc) that we could rotate in and out each season. Just a thought.

If that is the case then what is the point of having a "Regional" Championship, if you have corps from all over competing in it? A regional show should be just that, a show with all the corps from one region competing. But, that is why we vote on things.

Why does DCI call their regionals, regionals, if corps from all over compete in them? Seattle Cascades is not even close to San Antonio TX, but they still compete in regionals. I'm not for limiting where a corps can tour. Like you said, it is one show--I agree, but for me, that is still one show where I could be elsewhere doing the schedule that I designed for my groups. It should be up to each individual director, and if their normal region isnt included in that part of the schedule, then so be it. If you want to dictate where our groups perform, then you schedule everyones corps and decide where they go (DCI much).

Jeff in a sense, you are proving my point too. I am all for having a regional championship, but I think if a corps that is from the west coast, wants to do an east coast tour or a north tour, they should be able to do those regionals. They chose to take the trip out east or north, therefor they are competing in their respective regional if you look at it that way. Your beginning of the season schedule, sets you up for whatever regional you are likely going to attend. For example:

Tri-Color set out east after the first two shows of the season, and their tour schedule set them up to attend the east coast regional. Had this proposal been enforced last season, my corps would have had to have a messed up schedule, because of the location we were at, during the regional dates. Conner touched on that in his post already.

You are correct, that is why we vote on things. And you can be sure that I will be voting "No" on this proposal. I'm through beating this. I have no disrespect toward you, I am just voicing my opinion, being an "active" director--god forbid people challenge those in charge.

**Sorry to other directors who have to read this, but this is why we call this rules congress... I am choosing to discuss NOW.

Why does DCI call their regionals, regionals, if corps from all over compete in them? Seattle Cascades is not even close to San Antonio TX, but they still compete in regionals. I'm not for limiting where a corps can tour. Like you said, it is one show--I agree, but for me, that is still one show where I could be elsewhere doing the schedule that I designed for my groups. It should be up to each individual director, and if their normal region isnt included in that part of the schedule, then so be it. If you want to dictate where our groups perform, then you schedule everyones corps and decide where they go (DCI much).

Jeff in a sense, you are proving my point too. I am all for having a regional championship, but I think if a corps that is from the west coast, wants to do an east coast tour or a north tour, they should be able to do those regionals. They chose to take the trip out east or north, therefor they are competing in their respective regional if you look at it that way. Your beginning of the season schedule, sets you up for whatever regional you are likely going to attend. For example:

Tri-Color set out east after the first two shows of the season, and their tour schedule set them up to attend the east coast regional. Had this proposal been enforced last season, my corps would have had to have a messed up schedule, because of the location we were at, during the regional dates. Conner touched on that in his post already.

You are correct, that is why we vote on things. And you can be sure that I will be voting "No" on this proposal. I'm through beating this. I have no disrespect toward you, I am just voicing my opinion, being an "active" director--god forbid people challenge those in charge.

**Sorry to other directors who have to read this, but this is why we call this rules congress... I am choosing to discuss NOW.

I agree.

making us attend based on regionals where we are from makes sense, but in many cases is logistically impossible.

I understand it's a proposal right now, but I really don't like the idea.

~>conner

I agree.

making us attend based on regionals where we are from makes sense, but in many cases is logistically impossible.

I understand it's a proposal right now, but I really don't like the idea.

~>conner

I'll go for "region" regionals, if they are not on the same day as other regionals. I like how DCI does it, everyone attends a different "region"al every weekend, and they still get to have some "say" in their tour schedule. Some regions are not as "dense" as others in terms of corps, which is why I always leave and tour other regions. What is the point in attending an event where there are only 8 corps from your division, vs. 10-15 if not more. I am not saying this will happen, but it is just one of my problems. I'm through...

Proposal Name: Geographical Regions

Proposal Details: Your corps must compete in the Region that they call home. For instance, if the Tennessee Nipples are from Memphis, they must compete in the South Regional. The regions would be defined by the map at the bottom (which is negotiable).

Rationale: This would make it a true regional competiton.

Submitted by Tennessee Nipples.

I can understand why one would want this. However, I think it is lame to tell a corps that they MUST compete in a region that they call home--it is fantasy drum corps, let these directors do their schedules as they wish (within reason), most people do this for fun anyway because they fantisize about doing this for reals. How many times has Phantom Regiment done a west coast tour? How many times has Blue Devils gone east right away? and the list could go on for several corps. They chose to be different, and that is how they schedule the shows they do. I competed a few seasons ago, and will be coming back this season--and I can tell you--I think this is not the best proposal (or maybe its just worded in a way to where people feel they need to attack it, because of how it is stated) for a corps who wishes to start their tour out of their region, or maybe one starting in their region, but working thier way to another region for the regional.

I like DCP-I because I always see variety and different people do stuff that is out of the norm. I'm willing to bet, you will screw up some directors tour schedules if you confine them to a region just to do one show... Because whether you see it or not, you will have to program your tour schedule for these focus shows (it happens in all major circuits).

Anywho, I look forward to returning.

DCI- The Central Division Championships

July 8th (Still rather early in the season)

http://www.dci.org/events/view_event.cfm?e...b4-3e043b96bc19

Blue Devils (West)

The Cavaliers (Midwest)

The Cadets (East)

Bluecoats (Midwest)

Carolina Crown (South)

Madison Scouts (Midwest)

Glassmen (Midwest)

Crossmen (East)

Colts (Midwest)

Blue Stars (Midwest)

Capital Regiment (Midwest)

Southwind (Midwest/South)

The Magic (South)

Pioneer (Midwest)

Blue Devils tour schedule brought them here this early in the season, as did several other corps not from this region. Vanguard, Blue Knights and a few other corps were doing west coast shows at this point, but the point is.... they had options. This isn't even a big regional, but it still had variety. And alas, I will digress.

I have no disrespect toward you, I am just voicing my opinion, being an "active" director--god forbid people challenge those in charge.

Where the heck did this come from? I only put out a PROPOSAL!!! No where did I say that because I am in charge that this is the new rule! You are getting all bent out of shape for no reason. It is a PROPOSAL! Chill out....