2006 DCP-I Rules Congress

Galen

I agree with point 1 after my first season (and I had issues). Point 2 I am ok with but I can honestly say for the most part people always got back to me relatively quickly (thank you).

point H, I am still going "what???" (and thats after I read that it was a gag)

the only thing I honestly didnt like were the changes in the last week. I say changes stop before finals. I ONLY say this because it was next to impossible for me to get recaps of DCI in time to make any changes and then find a way to get those back to someone, so i didnt at all (maybe why I got 13th and missed finals) BUT if people actually go to finals and dont have a lap top--it is pretty darn difficult. Talk about needing a 24 hour hook up! AND I say this knowing FULL WELL I will NOT be at the Rose Bowl next year and that by 2008 I will probably finally get a lap top! LOL I say this for anyone who may find themselves in this same issue in the future.

Other than that, I dont need to add flutes, change the age group, add 25 more members or allow nudity (although my corps will continue to push the envelope on that last one once and awhile! :) )

Hey I was gone for all of tour, and had little internet access... It is possible to be competitive and successful on the road. You don't always need recaps to know how a corps is doing. You can just look at the trend of that corps. So you werent able to see a few days worth of recaps, no biggie... Use the last score that corps had in a given caption, and just use a trend. I was able to put 3 corps in finals, and I did my caption changes ALL OF THEM (prelims, quarters, semis and finals) a week before finals week, not knowing what corps would flop and wouldnt... my results: 3rd place finish with Emerald Regime, 11th Place finish with Tri-Color, and 12th place finish with Cascade Christian, both of my division II corps were top 3.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so here are some ideas that I have come up with:

1) Create some type of "State" Championship contest to be held where there are several corps from a given state. My idea was to not have the groups compete by Division at this contest, but to have it be more of an open class type event. I see the problem of corps using D2, and D3 not being able to stack up with D1 captions, but perhaps we could fix something to where it is more equal. I say this because some states may have a number of D2 corps and only 1 D1 corps, and the majority of the time, a D1 corps will take the title. But I would like to see some love toward having state run events, that are nothing like regionals. State Championships would still allow for (if you wish) non state members to compete, but the title would have to go to an in-state corps, period. There are a high density of corps from: Washington, California, Indiana, and etc... so I think this could work out.

That would be ok with me... even though I am the only TN corps! lol

2) Have caption changes due at the same time for ALL corps. The only thing I would make different (and this is optional) is to have D2/D3 captions due at a different time. But before this season, I actually liked how all corps had to have captions due on a given date, or they had to wait until the next time to change. In my opinion, it made it easier on us (the active body) because we knew when something was coming up and how to change and when accordingly. You could schedule your shows accordingly to make sure that you still were able to get the bonus points. This would also make it easier for directors (in the live season) who may not have access to internet, to plan ahead too! I was lucky to have done as well as I did this season being on the road with a real corps.... I took DCPI just as serious as I did working with my real corps! hahah.

Now we tried this last off season I think, and no one seemed to like it except for me. In my opinion it does make it easier knowing that on this date, I need to check for caption changes... instead of having to look every day.

3) I can agree with Jeff in only allowing 3 corps per person (maybe 4), but they should be able to choose which division they want to spread those out in. I say on seasons where the number of corps competing is scarce, to allow a director to have more corps. I can understand why some may want as few corps per director as possible, seeing as 4 directors had at least 2 corps in finals this season (Mitch: Star of Jupiter and Cross, Matt B.: Kosmos and Kadence, Matt S.: Emerald Regime, Tri-color and Cascade Christian, Shannon.: Mystre and Menagerie) That is 9 of 12 corps occupying a finals spot with only 4 directors. While there were new faces in finals this season, they probably could have been a few more. I've tried to get this rule going before, and no one supported it, and we have had this problem if you can call it that--for a while. I think this would make the playing ground a bit more level if you will. Some directors (including myself) would just have to pick and choose when they wanted to use certain corps (i.e. live or off seasons).

I like your Idea Matt... lets say we start with allowing only 1 corps per director in Div I. And then say 1 week before the season begins... if we only have like 20 Div I corps, then we will allow people to submit a 2nd Div I corps.... or something to that effect.

4) Create a regional Division I division, for those directors who wish to have that "extra" D1 corps. The points allowed could be anywhere between Division II and I points, but you can restrict the amount of shows regional corps are to compete in.

I am also ok with this... but one question... would this regional corps be allowed to go to Finals? If no, then I would be in favor of this. If yes, then why even have rule #3?

That would be ok with me... even though I am the only TN corps! lol

Now we tried this last off season I think, and no one seemed to like it except for me. In my opinion it does make it easier knowing that on this date, I need to check for caption changes... instead of having to look every day.

I like your Idea Matt... lets say we start with allowing only 1 corps per director in Div I. And then say 1 week before the season begins... if we only have like 20 Div I corps, then we will allow people to submit a 2nd Div I corps.... or something to that effect.

I am also ok with this... but one question... would this regional corps be allowed to go to Finals? If no, then I would be in favor of this. If yes, then why even have rule #3?

Regional corps would not be allowed to make it past semi-finals. So even if they were clearly scoring in the finals bracket, they wouldn't be able to advance. Besides, if you do the point structure right, you wont need to worry about them passing you.

My Ideas:

1. Bring back the Div II/III focus shows. Have at LEAST 2 or 3 Div II/III focus shows again, kind of like the old Open system (Canadian Open, North American Open, Garden State Open, and Coast Guard Open) and have them determine the Finals order of performance.

2. Regional Championships are only open to corps that call that region home. For example, since my Tennessee Nipples are from Memphis, they can only compete in the South Regional....

3. No more than 3 corps allowed per director. And only 1 in each division. (I could be convinced to allow 4.)

4. If Caption changes are not in the correct format, they will NOT be implemented. PERIOD!

5. For Div 2/3 Finals, add up all the competing corps, then find out the percentages of corps in each division. For example, if there are 40 Div 2/3 corps, and 30 of them are Div 2, then make the finals split be the top 9 Div 2 and Top 3 Div III. Just seems more fair.

I think that is it for now...

AND Matthew post...

1) Create some type of "State" Championship contest to be held where there are several corps from a given state. My idea was to not have the groups compete by Division at this contest, but to have it be more of an open class type event. I see the problem of corps using D2, and D3 not being able to stack up with D1 captions, but perhaps we could fix something to where it is more equal. I say this because some states may have a number of D2 corps and only 1 D1 corps, and the majority of the time, a D1 corps will take the title. But I would like to see some love toward having state run events, that are nothing like regionals. State Championships would still allow for (if you wish) non state members to compete, but the title would have to go to an in-state corps, period. There are a high density of corps from: Washington, California, Indiana, and etc... so I think this could work out.

2) Have caption changes due at the same time for ALL corps. The only thing I would make different (and this is optional) is to have D2/D3 captions due at a different time. But before this season, I actually liked how all corps had to have captions due on a given date, or they had to wait until the next time to change. In my opinion, it made it easier on us (the active body) because we knew when something was coming up and how to change and when accordingly. You could schedule your shows accordingly to make sure that you still were able to get the bonus points. This would also make it easier for directors (in the live season) who may not have access to internet, to plan ahead too! I was lucky to have done as well as I did this season being on the road with a real corps.... I took DCPI just as serious as I did working with my real corps! hahah.

3) I can agree with Jeff in only allowing 3 corps per person (maybe 4), but they should be able to choose which division they want to spread those out in. I say on seasons where the number of corps competing is scarce, to allow a director to have more corps. I can understand why some may want as few corps per director as possible, seeing as 4 directors had at least 2 corps in finals this season (Mitch: Star of Jupiter and Cross, Matt B.: Kosmos and Kadence, Matt S.: Emerald Regime, Tri-color and Cascade Christian, Shannon.: Mystre and Menagerie) That is 9 of 12 corps occupying a finals spot with only 4 directors. While there were new faces in finals this season, they probably could have been a few more. I've tried to get this rule going before, and no one supported it, and we have had this problem if you can call it that--for a while. I think this would make the playing ground a bit more level if you will. Some directors (including myself) would just have to pick and choose when they wanted to use certain corps (i.e. live or off seasons).

4) Create a regional Division I division, for those directors who wish to have that "extra" D1 corps. The points allowed could be anywhere between Division II and I points, but you can restrict the amount of shows regional corps are to compete in.

Ok...going to try and shortly make my comments on both of these.

Jeff's:

(1) Definitely need more focus on Div II & III. Like the special events for them.

(2) I agree with this one too. I have tried to keep SOJ in the South Regional since they are from the South. I think it builds good rivals each year.

(3) What I think we should do here was stated. If a Director has more then one corps in a Division they should only be allowed to share 4 or less captions. This will make sure they are different corps as it should be. We could decide on the exact number. This will make it tougher for what happened at Finals this season.

(4) Well I did my best :) Agree it's a lot to keep with.

(5) Percentage of total corps makes sense.

Matthew's:

(1) Cool. I will run the one for Florida!

(2) I don't agree here. I like that changes are made when the Director wants it. Not all corps improve on the same day.

(3) Same as #3 above.

(4) Yeah I thought we were going to do that with DCP-I VI. I had intended for Cross to be a Regional D1 corps.

SIDE NOTE on #3 above. If we do only allow the 4 or less to share captions we wont lose the number of corps and still keep it interesting. There will be a lot more variety of scores out there then just everyone with the same GE over and over again.

Edited by BAA-GA

In all honesty, the whole 4 shared captions thing, is almost impossible for the directors (well, me at least) to keep up with. Now it would be much better if there were 0 shared captions.... ^0^

In all honesty, the whole 4 shared captions thing, is almost impossible for the directors (well, me at least) to keep up with. Now it would be much better if there were 0 shared captions.... ^0^

I agree!!

It's no more impossible than seeing who really has completed their 5 shows for their .2 bonus each show, or seeing how many caption changes they have made when their 10 captions allotment starts to take effect. Who really keeps up with how many caption changes you make per week when that starts?

If we are going to get this picky, then we need to look at everything, or get rid of some of these rules. I personally know how many caption changes I have left when the time comes, and how many shows I have been in, to use points, but do the people in charge? I'm not saying I would pull one over, but I dont see a formal way of knowing if other directors or etc. are.

It's no more impossible than seeing who really has completed their 5 shows for their .2 bonus each show, or seeing how many caption changes they have made when their 10 captions allotment starts to take effect. Who really keeps up with how many caption changes you make per week when that starts?

If we are going to get this picky, then we need to look at everything, or get rid of some of these rules. I personally know how many caption changes I have left when the time comes, and how many shows I have been in, to use points, but do the people in charge? I'm not saying I would pull one over, but I dont see a formal way of knowing if other directors or etc. are.

There's a reason I keep my captions on my website...I know when my next point is available, I know how many I have left.

You are correct about the number of shows... Usually we do trust the directors. BUT we DO keep track of the caption changes once the 10 changes rule comes into effect.

Lazy.....knew this coming from a UM Tigers fan :P