2006 DCP-I Rules Congress

Galen

Oh no you didnt just go there! I think there may have been a judging mistake on finals.... :blink:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no you didnt just go there! I think there may have been a judging mistake on finals.... :blink:

Go Tigers! :D

:devin:

In all honesty, the whole 4 shared captions thing, is almost impossible for the directors (well, me at least) to keep up with. Now it would be much better if there were 0 shared captions.... ^0^

How about this for the "multiple corps per division" issue:

For Div 1, you can run a max of 2 corps (unlimited in other divisions). But if you run more than one corps in D1, you don't get the full points for both corps. Instead, you have a combined "pool" of points that you'd use for both corps (say, 75% of the points you'd normally have for each corps, so 200 points total instead of 130 per corps, so you essentially can't give points to one corps without taking them away from the other). Now just as a side note, it MIGHT still be possible to get both corps into finals depending on how the numbers work out, but I wouldn't say that that's necessarily a bad thing, because it will make people who run multiple D1 corps (like me) have to REALLY work to get both corps into finals (and that's a handicap I'm willing to accept).

For Div 1, you can run a max of 2 corps (unlimited in other divisions). But if you run more than one corps in D1, you don't get the full points for both corps. Instead, you have a combined "pool" of points that you'd use for both corps (say, 75% of the points you'd normally have for each corps, so 200 points total instead of 130 per corps, so you essentially can't give points to one corps without taking them away from the other). Now just as a side note, it MIGHT still be possible to get both corps into finals depending on how the numbers work out, but I wouldn't say that that's necessarily a bad thing, because it will make people who run multiple D1 corps (like me) have to REALLY work to get both corps into finals (and that's a handicap I'm willing to accept).

I'd still prefer the 4 caption limit per the 2 corps in Division 1.

But there would still have to be a maximum on how many points each corps gets. With this rule I could start up a D1 corps and now I have 200 points to play with instead of 130. This means I could dump as many points as I want into my main corps and the other one would get leftovers.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong though...

Who’s to say that a director couldn’t sacrifice one corps for the other and give one corps 140 points and the other 60.

Unless the max point value is still 130 regardless.

But someone would still have to count you corps points to make sure you were legit.

We’ve had problems before with point totals that weren’t checked.

. corps in the wrong division for a good part of the season.

. corps using too many points (unintentionally) then fixing it on their own but never called into question by the admins.

Who’s to say that a director couldn’t sacrifice one corps for the other and give one corps 140 points and the other 60.

Yes, it'd still be 130 points max for 1 particular corps. Good question.

But someone would still have to count you corps points to make sure you were legit.

. corps using too many points (unintentionally) then fixing it on their own but never called into question by the admins.

Good point- we'd need the execs to really be sharp about keeping an eye on that.

I was just reviewing some things because my scores didn't make sense to me, I will not appeal to anyone at this late point because I believe the only difference in CLASS corps may have been that Sunrise Surf would have at least made semi's perhaps finals, BUT once again, my captions didnt get changed. I have contacted Lori Smith and she is ok leaving her low score as it is. I have struggled with this, as others have through the season. It really ends up taking the fun out of this activity and making it more frustrating. I have done online, I have sent through e-mail and PM and in the most recent situation did BOTH of the last two for my final changes, yet they NEVER happened. I am not suggesting someone gets fired or anything like that as I have seen suggested in the past--I am simply looking for a solution--how do we resolve this once and for all. Honestly all the changes people have suggested could happen and thats fine, but if captions in the end dont get changed--who the heck cares what the rules are! I once again feel that perhaps we have too many of them and the administrators simply can't keep up, fine--reduce the number of changes. I wasn't here to scour my changes nor should I need to be. I am not someone to complain, so to e-mail and re-email to bug the #### out of someone to get something done is not really my cup of tea--just do it the first time.

What can be done. I know I am frustrated by it...

Rules explicitly state that no more than x number of points per corps. If a director wants to use less, not a problem. But no shifting of points between corps.

Jeff and I were doing our best to keep that from happening. Since we didn't have a problem, yes, one might have slipped by BUT if something didn't look right, we followed up with a point count.

Okay, that was one that slipped by. But instead of a D1 corps being in D2, it was the other way around.

Again that was one where it slipped by us (we do play by the honor system here). I'm hoping to fix the later before VII.