Drum Corps Situation

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and if you commit, remember, you are telling the staff that no matter what, you WILL be there, on time, ready to rehearse or perform

I don't know about all that, people have to remember that everyone has a life outside of drum corps and sometimes people HAVE to miss... but missing rehearsals after letting your caption head know in advance, and showing up late/ditching practice are two totally different things.

If only it was that simple in reality world... :)

Well, actually, in the reality world, it's even worse. (The consequences).

I can't show up to a meeting with a client and say "Sorry I was late, my friend picked me up late". Do that a few times and I'm on the unemployment line.

I can't pay my taxes late and tell the IRS that my friend didn't get me to the post office on time.

It's called personal responsibility. By his own admission, missing rehearsals and gigs and being late wasn't the exception due to extreme circumstances beyond his control, it seemed to be the rule. And by his own admission, he's involved in other performance groups that he also had to flake on.

Let's hope he learns his lesson on being a big boy and following through on a committment on some folly such as drum corps and isn't as flaky with his job. The consequences are far more dire than just not being able to go to a marching competition.

I don't know about all that, people have to remember that everyone has a life outside of drum corps and sometimes people HAVE to miss... but missing rehearsals after letting your caption head know in advance, and showing up late/ditching practice are two totally different things.

I don't know.... you sign up for a gig, and unless you are mentally ######## you are told where the rehearsals are, when they are, when the gigs are. You know what you've got going on in your personal life. YOu take a look at your life and say, well, I've got this and this and this going on.....but I can get rid of this committment and that one, and I should be fine. You don't sign up for soemthign and then miss performances and gigs and show up late all the time.

From teh first post that is now gone, it sounds like he lived pretty far away from where the corps rehearses. He should have weighted that into his decision making on joining the corps. It's HIS responsibility to get himself to rehearsal. Everyone else manages to get themselves to rehearsal and I'm willing to bet they "have a life" outside the corps as well.

it's

called

personal

respnosibility

and in seeing some of these responoses.....common sense isn't that common anymore.

'tis a shame.

I don't know.... you sign up for a gig, and unless you are mentally ######## you are told where the rehearsals are, when they are, when the gigs are. You know what you've got going on in your personal life. YOu take a look at your life and say, well, I've got this and this and this going on.....but I can get rid of this committment and that one, and I should be fine. You don't sign up for soemthign and then miss performances and gigs and show up late all the time.

From teh first post that is now gone, it sounds like he lived pretty far away from where the corps rehearses. He should have weighted that into his decision making on joining the corps. It's HIS responsibility to get himself to rehearsal. Everyone else manages to get themselves to rehearsal and I'm willing to bet they "have a life" outside the corps as well.

it's

called

personal

respnosibility

and in seeing some of these responoses.....common sense isn't that common anymore.

'tis a shame.

Let's hope he learns his lesson on being a big boy and following through on a committment on some folly such as drum corps and isn't as flaky with his job. The consequences are far more dire than just not being able to go to a marching competition.

He didn't because he did it to a corps last year also and didn't make it threw the season !!!!

Edited by stanstill2001

Unbiased opinion: I'm going to assume your over the age of 16. "The Dog Ate My Homework" excuse no longer applies to the real world. Same thing goes for "I'm not the driver". You're an adult and expected to act like one. I'm willing to bet this "not allowed to march" status didn't come out of the blue, that you were probably warned. And the fact that you are an adult and have to be spoken to about not being late and being responsible just makes it worse. My advice, don't air dirty laundry on the board. This was not your corps fault, this wasn't even "the driver's fault". It is YOUR responsiblity to get YOURSELF to places. Apologize to yours, and if in the good graces of God they lety you come back next year, be an adult and get yourself to practice on time. SOrry if that sounds harsh, but at some point it's time to but the Big Boy Pants on.