I&E Results?

I had to miss Frank Dorrities' solo. Anybody see him and tell me what he played? Or maybe have a recoring of him to share? I missed him because I wanted to go see my bro Chris Tomoloff do his keyboard performance (his first place performance).

I feel bad because I enjoy watching and listening to him play what might as well be a a garden hose and a funnel and making beautiful music....if only to steal some brass playing technique from him. :worthy:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Scott on your win. As Frank said, welcome to the DCA snare drum fraternity!

(would of got you if I finished the 6 pack before playing my solo!! LOL -j/k)

Lots of good drumming & Drummers Friday night.. lots of good times ..lots of fun!!

Congrats to all !!!

Lee Rudnicki's credibility as a snare drummer took a huge hit Friday IMHO.

My credibility took huge hit because of the solo? Too funny.

My friend, if you think I entered I&E 2006 with even the slightest thought or consideration about score or placement, you simply do not know me very well. After not touching a snare drum for 18 years, and then drumming for only one month to learn Renegades show, I did not enter snare I&E to try and somehow relive my past competitive snare drumming life of nearly 20 years ago. If that was my goal, I would have started practicing over a year ago, as I did when I competed with the Santa Clara Vanguard in I&E at DCI.

The main point being made by my theatrical 2006 solo, Gabriel's Message -- and the two theatrical snare solos I did with Vanguard -- was this.

Because of the inherent nature of the instrument, there are a very precious few snare drummers who can play a snare drum solo that stays interesting after about 30 seconds or so. Even at the DCI level, there are only 3 or 4 solos a year that are worth watching, al-a drummers that are on the Robbie Robinson, Mark Thurston, Scott Johnson etc. level. That is because every fighter pilot snare drummer can play flam drags, and all of them can play fast ... but, it's the same old thing, over and over and over. Ask your non-snare drummer friends how many DCI or DCA snare solos they are able to sit through. I think the word record is probably somewhere around 3.

Personally, I believe that "solo" I&E presentations need to evolve beyond the "let's stand there and play fast" category, and add the theatrical element that is so prevalent in WGI. If we define music as "impact on the audience," then the solo category needs to evolve beyond its present vegatative state.

BTW, congrats to my pal Scott McCoy for his well deserved win. Scott is definitely in the category of snare drummers who can impact an audience with a solo, and all of us at Renegades are very proud to see him make his mark on the drumming world this year.

p.s. My note above is in no way shape or form meant to be disrespectful or a commentary on any DCA competitor ... just my .02 on the nature of the beast ... the musical instrument known as the snare drum.

My credibility took huge hit because of the solo? Too funny.

My friend, if you think I entered I&E 2006 with even the slightest thought or consideration about score or placement, you simply do not know me very well. After not touching a snare drum for 18 years, and then drumming for only one month to learn Renegades show, I did not enter snare I&E to try and somehow relive my past competitive snare drumming life of nearly 20 years ago. If that was my goal, I would have started practicing over a year ago, as I did when I competed with the Santa Clara Vanguard in I&E at DCI.

The main point being made by my theatrical 2006 solo, Gabriel's Message -- and the two theatrical snare solos I did with Vanguard -- was this.

Because of the inherent nature of the instrument, there are a very precious few snare drummers who can play a snare drum solo that stays interesting after about 30 seconds or so. Even at the DCI level, there are only 3 or 4 solos a year that are worth watching, al-a drummers that are on the Robbie Robinson, Mark Thurston, Scott Johnson etc. level. That is because every fighter pilot snare drummer can play flam drags, and all of them can play fast ... but, it's the same old thing, over and over and over. Ask your non-snare drummer friends how many DCI or DCA snare solos they are able to sit through. I think the word record is probably somewhere around 3.

Personally, I believe that "solo" I&E presentations need to evolve beyond the "let's stand there and play fast" category, and add the theatrical element that is so prevalent in WGI. If we define music as "impact on the audience," then the solo category needs to evolve beyond its present vegatative state.

Thus my comment on your "different agenda"

Edited by Storkysr

I had to miss Frank Dorrities' solo. Anybody see him and tell me what he played? Or maybe have a recoring of him to share? I missed him because I wanted to go see my bro Chris Tomoloff do his keyboard performance (his first place performance).

I feel bad because I enjoy watching and listening to him play what might as well be a a garden hose and a funnel and making beautiful music....if only to steal some brass playing technique from him. :worthy:

Here is what Frank posted!

I'll be playing a Louis Armstrong favorite, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On", using a c.1950 Getzen single-valve slip-slide tenor (like a soprano, but with a bigger bell).

Congratulations to CADRE!!!!!!!!! great job. I'm feeling humbled and privledged to be playing with you and the rest of you,McGrath, Flowers, the Storks,(puppy dog) Cline and everyone else at the Marine Tatto in Rochester on Sept. 16th&17th.

Here is what Frank posted!

I'll be playing a Louis Armstrong favorite, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On", using a c.1950 Getzen single-valve slip-slide tenor (like a soprano, but with a bigger bell).

And performed in outstanding fashion.

Johnny "Grass" playing a Bunny Berigan piece, circa 1939, was also top notch.

C'mon youze young folks. Show us some tootin'. These two guys ain't gonna be around forever!

I agree that the young lions and loinesses should be challenging us and, indeed, taking these titles. I do, however, plan to be around forever.

My thanks to everyone who attended I&E and every other event this drum corps season. Without someone to play for there's little point in performing at all.

And lastly, to be on the same stage as John Urspruch is a great honor for me. He's my hero.

Frank D