LIVE from the Pressbox

JohnD

Now for Come What May. I think this is a great ballad for the Brigs. A solo/bari duet play the melody while the rest of the corps plays backfield. Very beautiful.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the field, there are a group of props which look like second-story windows, covered with red drapes. The corps can march around and under the windows so there is little in the way of obstruction for the drill.

Very nice job with El Tange de Roxanne. Great bari solo on the Roxanne melody. Now a sop soloist is screaming out the Ewan McGregor line of the song.

Fran turned his mic on a little early, I think. The last few stabs from the corps had a strange echo. Turns out it was coming from the stadium speakers. Amplification comes to DCA. :P

Now, since the horns have to carry these props off, are they thinking about trashing these props now that they're no longer needed? I know I would if I had to lug those things around all summer.

Fran is recognizing the I&E champions from Friday night.

Adventures in Time...possily the most difficult ensemble production I have written...was dead on. There were a few "heroes" in the performance but that often happens with a corps that thrives on performance. The solos of Larry Dastrup, Rich Duarte, Chris Nalls, and Greg Potter really added the professionalism that this corps displays. Stairway to Heaven (the signature chart for 2006) was well-executed with some really nice moments in a piece that was treated with a completely symphonic approach. The middle horns really cut through on their technical displays over such a warm ensemble. The opening attack of "Toccatta was mind-blowing. The horn line was spread front to back and sided to side and they nailed the repeated 8ths! That may have been the biggest WOW moment for me. The ensemble continued to push to the end and we are all very happy with their best performance of the season!

Any chance you can get someone to go back field to snap a photo of the Finals crowd?

We've sent the camera 'round to the other side of the field ......

Sadly, we missed the opportunity for a picture of the Brigadiers. This is REAL TIME, folks.

Minnesota Brass, Inc.'s show is entitled "Fantasy: A Drum Corps Dream" and features:

Open Up Wide

Get It On

Earth Wind and Fire Medley

The Soul of a Child

Uptight