Thank you from DCA.

Sure hope you have lots of good thing to say, TOO!

:)

A simple sign regarding "no re-entry allowed would have been helpful. I went looking for someone just outside the area where the corps pictures were being taking. There was a gate security guy there (which made sense) but he didn't say a word to anyone leaving. Once outside we were not allowed to re-enter, even though we were in uniform and ten feet away from 30-40 of our fellow corps members. We had to walk back around to the corps entry gate!

Either the guards should be allowed to use some logic or there should be large signs indicating you can't come back in the same way you're leaving. Rules are rules, but this one didn't seem to make sense at all. Logic says, if the person is 'in uniform" they're not trying to sneak in.......particularly when the contest is 15mins away from being over.

For the benefit of the performers and fans, someone needs to organize the olympic style retreat a lot better. The folks trying desperately to set it up, did the best they could, but someone had to know that 13 corps just wouldn't fit through the gates/openings available!! I'm sure it will be looked at.

The stadium was an excellent performance venue for the corps. The field was the best I've marched on and the sound stayed close to the members without a 'feedback' delay so we could stay in the pocket of each number. For those lucky enough to be in the center sections, I'm sure the experience was great. For those out towards the 'end zones' perhaps you'll get some comments.

Regarding the fireworks from Frontier Field.......I didn't hear the explanation on PA system, just an announcement to say there would be a delay. If it happens next year, maybe an intermission (albeit late in the show), should be scheduled so all the corps know what may happen. I don't think it was fair to have Bucs wait for 15-20 mins. Most corps go through a very tightly timed routine from warm up to starting line. In Sunday's case, I thought Empire (or event Bush/Empire) should have waited as well, to at least keep some continuity to the schedule.

All in all a great weekend and kudos to those involved in the staging.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The program could be turned into a downloadable PDF. You could charge a small fee. As well this could be an opportunity to create an website catering to the program and highlights of the event. Including some clips from years past and interview clips from performers and fans. Leverage this content to more than just one media source and you have supersized your brand 10x with hardly any additional effort.

Dennis

hrm...

Kelly Evans? Thanks for confirming.

Quick note on the program and your comment: "it was available at the I&E check in table".

I am trying to brainstorm to make it a sales effort. 2800 people in the Mini corps venue ought to have a shot at the program book and a day-specific insert to memorialize the mini corps event. It's not something they should have to look for at an out of the way table. Program sales is about suggestion, presentation and availability.

I saw the FREE mini-corps flyer with the ads on it...fine. But how about a concerted effort to make it more obvious that it is there, it's indeed a quality piece and it's worthy of your time, attention and donation?

jc

Sure hope you have lots of good thing to say, TOO!

For the benefit of the performers and fans, someone needs to organize the olympic style retreat a lot better. The folks trying desperately to set it up, did the best they could, but someone had to know that 13 corps just wouldn't fit through the gates/openings available!! I'm sure it will be looked at.

We HAVE!!! After we finally got the Olympic Retreat off, we started to talk and throw ideas around about how to make next years retreat line up and step off better. As Fred said before, this was a new venue and as we worked getting the corps' lined up and moving we started to find better areas for staging to use next year. My Thanks to ALL the drum majors and their corps' for their patience and keeping their sense of humor while fitting everyone in to those files.!!

The weekend was a big success but there are a couple of gripes I have. The seating was not enough for a show this big but I guess it is the only stadium in Rochester to hold this show. The food was good but way over priced 3.50 for a bottle of coke and 3.50 for a slice of pizza I am glad I had a big lunch. The corps were great and the event staff that I ran into were first rate.

Leo,

Nine out of ten components you look for in a championship host community are available in Rochester. For now, that's great!

Oh yes, key people at PAETEC have been invited to view this discussion on DCP. They will.

:worthy:

I don't know how it was from a spectator perspective, but from a performer's perspective it seemed like the audience was a LONG ways away. Is there any way to move the field closer? Maybe to at least the edge of the soccer field?

Judging by the picture Kevin Gamin took, you could move the whole field 5-10 yards closer to the stands and still have room for everything.

DSCN5354sm.JPG

Agreed, though I'd be willing to chalk that up to it being the first time. I'm sure my first inclination would be to center the field on the field, if you catch my meaning.

Morphy00,

You are correct, the field could have been moved a bit closer. We considered that, but ended up going with a compromise. We were concerned about persons who were purchasing seats just one month ahead. We felt we could give them a little better experience by placing our frontline back by 3-5 yards. The move also helped visibility for those upstairs who would not have seen the drum major stand if we went with the soccer sideline.

The VIP level (and that's important folks) does not yet have a stepped-up riser for the second row of seats. So, at two rows deep up there, our sideline placement gave both rows, now on the same level floor, a view of the DM. Our placement of the front line was STILL closer to the stands than most DCA/DCI venues. We don't see a problem here.

I know in the big scheme of things DCA is not a 'major' event but is there any possibility of working with a local travel agency to offer a DCA weekend travel package? Something that bundles airfare, hotel, and rental car into one package.

This is the first DCA Championship I've missed in five years and it boiled down to simple logistics. Rochester is about four hours driving too far in each direction for me to make it in a three day weekend (Scranton was 'just about right') and the airfares this year were a bit more than what I had been paying the two years when we had flown up rather than driven the entire way. The issue with Rochester is that there isn't a direct non-stop flight there from here.

OK......so I know that airline schedule isn't something DCA and Rochester can work on.........but maybe a travel package that would entice those of us who now need an airplane to make it happen would be helpful.