Thank you from DCA.

i thought the order was given to keep performances on time? if this is not being adhered to, well, dont invite offenders back

The schedule had Cabs Alumni reporting at 12:20 and performing at 12:40, which would have the show ending at 1:00 PM,................meaning 9 corps in three hours,.............you could start the alumni show at noon, be done at 3:00 and still have plenty of time to empty, and reset the stadium for finals that night.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to weigh-in here and offer my thanks and appreciation for Fred opening this thread. DCA's interest in opening the door (which we all know can be a floodgate at-times) for comments and criticism speaks VOLUMES for the him and the organization.

THANK YOU Fred and DCA for caring enough to ask .... and using our forum to let the fans and participants help you make next year's event even better. I can't think of many better ways to use this powerfull resource.

For my $0.02 worth ..... I think DCA (Gil Silva and his entire team), Allen Buell and the Statesmen local committee, Richard, Barb and the I&E team, and all of the participating (competitive and alumni) corps did an INCREDIBLE job in staging this weekend's events. As has been mentioned previously - the people of Rochester were great hosts and I was made to feel VERY welcome by everyone. Sure, there were 'pains' associated with a new venue - but I'm confident that they can be remedied for next year. Hopefully, the weather won't be a factor next year.

Thank you all for a VERY entertaining and enjoyable weekend of drum corps. We're already looking forward to next year.

-john

No, it's not. It's about EVERYONE.

TRY HOLDING A SHOW..with no paying fans. And while were at it GOOD LUCK with that temporary staircase idea LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fred. I have to say, from what I am reading DCA 2006 was a total success and from your attitude and responses DCA is very lucky to have you doing PR.

TRY HOLDING A SHOW..with no paying fans.

Who said anything about not catering to the fans? My point was not to discount any fans, but to not discount performers or staff either. Way to miss the point completely.

And while were at it GOOD LUCK with that temporary staircase idea LOL

It's worked fine in many stadiums across the country for DCI, band circuits and local shows. It will work fine for DCA.

John and Mr. Dempsey,

It was a magnificant weekend, despite Saturday. I will continue to address every suggestion. There have been times when I replied to persons anonymously for obvious reasons. As an interesting aside, the PAETEC Stadium people have been reading DCP all day. One of them called me, and we immediately went to work on one of the issues. Pretty cool, huh?

It will take me a few weeks to catch up with everyone I worked with up there and provide DCA's thanks. I'd like to start with John Donovan. DCP is the voice of the marching music activity. John, you speak more loudly than we ever could, and we're grateful!

Mr. Dempsey, comments like yours make this effort happen. I think you know what I mean.

Putting the money where my mouth is...

I have made suggestions regarding the sales effort for the program book. To back up the suggestions, I will throw my hat in the ring to personally volunteer to sell programs at Prelims, Individuals, or the Alumni show next year. (I'd offer for finals, but my work/flight schedule wont permit me to attend on a Sunday evening).

Fred, contact me at 407-620-9709 or write to 3771 Plantation Lakes Circle, Sanford, FL 32771 so we can coordinate. If you need volunteers, count me in. If you need a reference, ask Tom P or Allen B. Joe C.

4. :unsure:PEOPLE DURING THE ALUMNI SHOW ENTERING WHILE THE CORPS WERE IN PROGRESS. HOW ANNOYING. I had a family behind me with for young sons who were yelling for their lunch from a cooler. Needless to say it was a big bag of chip crunching and soda cans popping. Why didnt security at the gate stop that cooler from coming in. No one was allowed to bring in large umbrellas and I thought no food was allowed. And what happened to courtesy while a corps is in progress? Is that only for the competing corps.

7. :( The Alumni announcer did not annouce everybody with the same energy. In my opinion he showed his favorites. Next year keep consistant. We want Fran . He knows the alumni circut.

8. <**> More seating. If you want to expand the spectators in the Rochester area you need a bigger place. Is this the only place in Rochester area. Are there no football fields with more parking and seating.

#4 - I couldn't agree more! I saw people in corps jackets and in alumni jackets coming and going during shows like they were watching TV in a noisy bar. Those are people who should know better. I went off on a couple of people citing lack of manners and poor trainig as children. Can DCA educate ushers, who seemed to be at every entrance, on performance etiquette and get them to make those people wait. People were moving around the stands during Sunday night's show, too.

#7 - I have to agree.

#8 - It looked to me like if there had been another 20 rows between the 40s, they would have been filled.

Now for my suggestion...

Music City Legend playing after the Alumni Spectacular was great (due to technical difficulties in filming). The comments I heard in the stands were really positive, too. A bit of a surprise coming from that crowd. That's what inspired me to think of ...

The 500 Mile Rule - If a corps travels more than 500 miles to perform in DCA prelims, and they don't make finals, they get an offer to play at the end of the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday morning. Just imagine, you've ridden 15 - 25 hours (or more) in a bus; you've rehearsed your butt off all summer; you've made sacrifices in family, work and all other aspects of your life; and the culmination of all this is thirteen minutes in a freezing rain storm. I think I can speak for most people who have ever marched when I say we love to perform.

You have an audience, you have the time, what is the harm in a little extra exhibition? What do you say, DCA? One more chance to see these corps, that's all I'm asking. I would have love to see Kilties 10 year show again. or Frontier with yard lines. or a dry Allaince, especially how they were on the field then off the field then on, then off then on then off no off on offonoffonoff etc.

Edited by MJH

Hi all!

Just returned home from Rochester. I want to begin by giving our organization's thanks to everyone who attended the most important weekend on our calendar. If ever there was a " good news/bad news " kind of DCA Championship, this was it!

Special thanks to John Donovan and his DCP team who did everything they could to enable all of you who were not able to attend a chance to be with us!

Moving to a first year facility is always a difficult proposition and we knew that going in. Also, not having hosted the event in Rochester since 1996, we knew there would be unique problems and confusion to clear, working with many (non-drum corps) persons who were not involved back then, this would be a learning experience for everyone. DCA and our host community have already scheduled two early meetings to assess this weekend and improve. I can assure you, improvement WILL happen, and so many great features about Rochester WILL continue for 2007.

I also want you to know, nearly everyone on the DCA administrative team visits DCP daily. Your postings are sending a message that gets through loud and clear. That must continue. So, let's get started . . .

Here's what I observed. Did you see the same thing?

Rochester is VERY MUCH a drum corps town. I couldn't find a wait staff person who did not have a family member who did not march corps either now or in the past. That sure helps the gate and we just experienced our best attended Finals in several years. Saturday was an ouch, but no one is to blame for that, so let's move on.

The local community support, from an administrative perspective, was THE VERY BEST I have seen over a period of more than forty years. This is a massive undertaking, and both the host Empire Statesmen and the Greater Rochester Area were up to the task. We were treated like the best thing to happen to Rochester since the Brownie camera!

The PAETEC Park people were wonderful. Nothing we asked was too much. Those of you who were there during those horrid Saturday conditions saw the grounds crew entering on several ocassions to keep our sponsor's banners hanging properly. They also went back out on the field to re-line, knowing full well the lines would not last, as the paint requires at least 30 minutes to dry, and on a surface that is not been walked on.

Our host corps, Empire Statesmen, worked hard all year to bring this event to you. What more can be said about Allen Buell?

He's an amazing organizer, and it showed!

And now the rest. There were some rough spots. Quick access to food and drink was difficult. They were overwhelmed. Even their contracted independent vendors were surprised. One of the pizza stations ran out of stock and closed within 2 hours. Drum corps fans must be bigger eaters than soccer fans! They will adjust for this problem in Year Two.

Parking was confusing to everyone. Afterall, we had never been there. There was adequate parking. We just did not know how to find it, but more lots will be opening closer to PAETEC, as properties are acquired and torn down. I saw lots of "yard parking" across the street for just $5 all day. Think Madison, only $5 less.

Communicating our championship policies and procedures to our corps management people and their performers was a real challenge. Most of us were in a brand new home. This isn't Scranton anymore.

Now it's your turn! As a paying customer, what did you observe about Rochester? DCA can learn and improve from your thoughts, both good and bad. We actually DO want to hear about anything that needs to be corrected. Don't hold back, we can take it. I assure you, anything that is presented in a mature, rational manner WILL be addressed by DCA.

Sure hope you have lots of good thing to say, TOO!

:)

TchMuzk,

The place was built for soccer, not for drum corps. Soccer fans are somewhat crazy, thus, the limited access. It is what it is. I can tell you, every corps director at the Friday meeting was told about the access to upper level problem. It was stressed, if you want to make your way up there for your corps, don't even enter the playing field.

As for the downstairs viewing area. That's what you get. The event is not about your staff, but about the comfort of your paying fans. Hope you understand.

How about this solution: A "bridge" using a couple of ladders positioned so corps staff can avoid the "run around".

The 500 Mile Rule - If a corps travels more than 500 miles to perform in DCA prelims, and they don't make finals, they get an offer to play at the end of the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday morning.

That's an awesome idea! Of course, that will only work if the number of corps traveling that far that don't make finals are within a reasonable number. I can't tell you how much of a treat it was to be able to play again on Sunday, with yard lines, no rain and no judges. Just us and the fans.