Thank you from DCA.

I was speaking from a spectators standpoint and not a performers standpoint.When I was playing on the field it seemed like my sound was carrying forever.I am sure the 30+ degree in Temp drop from what I am use to playing in was a determining factor in that.

Interesting. Sunday night's conditions were practically ideal. The corps after mine sounded fantastic at finals too.

Lots of people sitting around me said the same thing,,that because the stadium was so open,,it diminished the sound.

So yes I stand by my statement that accoustics were bad.

Well, I guess we just have different ears, or you were sitting in a "dead" zone.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess we just have different ears, or you were sitting in a "dead" zone.

I think I was in a bit of a dead zone - I guess you have to expect that once you're on the 15.....

ya know, even tho i had some issues, which i spoke to Fred about personally, i have come to realize we're an extremely demanding bunch and we'll never EVER be truly happy.

gang, the key here is they WANT to make it better. they are actually ASKING for constructive criticism.

we didnt have that in Allentown, Scranton, or even Syracuse.

voice your concersn without sounding like ranting monkeys, and have faith that next year, everything they can do minus rebuilding the entire place from the ground up will be handled.

if not, we know then that other places that submit a bid could win and finals could go elsewhere.

I thought the accoustics were great, and there were many standing O's to be had. Not that there were many people in the stands to give standing O's at prelims.

The obvious complaint, no field markings. Not even hashes or yard markers (that were still upright, well, maybe one that was still upright).

Judges who insist on breaking ranks. I probably should have checked on current policy's, but back in the day, people like that would need Handicap parking after trying that %&$#*@stuff#*@!

Which brings me to the obvious LACK of HANDICAP parking. And I never saw any shuttles. Combined with the only known entrance(alumni show) being gate "C", the furthest corner of the stadium from the parking. And entering there of to walk completely around the entire stadium as a paying ticket holder, to the front stands. It left me feeling that if they treat the audience this way, maybe they're treating the corps pretty good. I probably missed two or three corps just getting into the stadium and seats there of.

Also some gate IN/OUT issues. Regular audience members couldn't exit from gate "A" (closed), and couldn't exit near the corps entrance. I witnessed several paying audience members pleading with the security to let them out here, they're parked right there. And them being turned back to literally walk around the stadium.

As far as consessions, the staffs were obviously inexperienced. Even the replacement guy at the beer cart didn't even know the prices of the beers he was selling.

Beyond that, the Clarion had horrible parking issues in and of itself. And the surrounding neighborhood was not one you wanted to park you car in, much less walk several blocks through. And of course Bennigans ran out of Miller Light, Coors Light, Broccoli, Yuengling, and too many other things to list completely. And that was just Friday and Saturday night. Dinosaur BBQ ribs even ran out of ribs. Didn't anybody tell them we were coming, much less who "we" were that were coming?

Lots of other little things, but I'll stop here for now.

The 500 Mile Rule - If a corps travels more than 500 miles to perform in DCA prelims, and they don't make finals, they get an offer to play at the end of the Alumni Spectacular on Sunday morning. Just imagine, you've ridden 15 - 25 hours (or more) in a bus; you've rehearsed your butt off all summer; you've made sacrifices in family, work and all other aspects of your life; and the culmination of all this is thirteen minutes in a freezing rain storm. I think I can speak for most people who have ever marched when I say we love to perform.

You have an audience, you have the time, what is the harm in a little extra exhibition? What do you say, DCA? One more chance to see these corps, that's all I'm asking. I would have love to see Kilties 10 year show again. or Frontier with yard lines. or a dry Allaince, especially how they were on the field then off the field then on, then off then on then off no off on offonoffonoff etc.

GREAT IDEA! I know our video had rain drops on the lens most of the time, some shots had the tarp blowing over the camera and blocking the view, and the sound quality was very bad. However, the worst part was only about 35 very brave souls saw us perform on Saturday. After 32 hours in a van you really want to leave your best show on the field and have SOMEONE see it.

Last year we got together with MCL to record our shows on Sunday afternoon, this year we hooked up with Dream. We played for each other between the alumni show and finals and had a great time.

What if next year we get a high school stadium or something where the corps that did not make finals can play for each other (And re-do recordings if needed) on Sunday afternoon? It is as much a social event as anything else :)

Few observations:

I&E-why were the guard folks performing on the floor next to a stage? We coudn't see what they were doing, as many of them seemed to spend part of the time laying on the floor, and I heard there were some pretty cool moves!

Other venues seemed pretty good that night, this is only my 2nd year out so I don't have much to compare. Would have liked a few more chairs in the brass and snare rooms, and maybe close off the bar in the back of the brass room so the socializing does not get louder than the music.

Stadium-We had a bit of a mess getting parked on show day. We had maps and parking passes, but the folks in the 3 rental cars from the airport could not park by the 2 14-passenger vans we drove up from Texas in, so we started out scattered in different lots and had to find each other in the rain. Then we were asked to move our van/trailer/pit equipment several times for the semi trucks coming in and out of whatever plant we were parked next to. Folks were nice about it, but it seemed like they did not know we were going to be there and we could not get into the normal routine we have before a show with all the moving around. I think White Sabers had to move once or twice as well, eventually the got the trucks moved to a different exit in the plant.

Please add bathrooms near warmup sites for next year :)

We were a bit disapppointed that we had to watch finals from the end zone, but it is a good thing that it was a sell-out. Hopefully more seating will be added before next year.

After the show, where can you get food??? We drove around and found one dark, closed place after another. (I thought every Perkins was open 24-hours???). We finally found a Burger King that had about 20 other cars with the same idea. None of our under-21 kids could get into the hotel bar, and that closed at 10 on Sunday anyway.

Overall the weekend was a success (Even with the rain), everyone seemed friendly and helpful. Thanks to everyone who organized practice sites, hotels, and everything else that made the weekend go as smoothly as possible.

Anyone know an attendance figure? Seemed like the stands were pretty full all the way to the end zones.

I don't know, but Saturday's Prelims attendance was like 30 people. :(

A couple others.

I&E, keyboards in the street??? With all of the environment noises (wind, river, car horns, traffic, ....) I wasn't sure what they were playing, much less IF they were playing. Other than that, most I&E venues seemed decent.

And as others pointed out, no port-a-poties around near the stadium. I also didn't see many trashcans around either, I had a plastic rain thing I wanted to throw out before I hit the field, oh well. Restroom facilites were also sparce in the stadium, but that's already been mentioned.

I&E, keyboards in the street??? With all of the environment noises (wind, river, car horns, traffic, ....) I wasn't sure what they were playing, much less IF they were playing. Other than that, most I&E venues seemed decent.

I loved the "street party" atmosphere for percussion stuff, but I do agree that keyboards should probably be moved indoors next year.

Rediculous. There was nothing wrong with the stadium's accoustics.

What PAETEC lacks is the reverberation/echo common to Lakawana County Stadium in Scranton. PEATEK is an IDEAL accoustic enviornment for drum corps. If your corps (or any other) had projection problems, that's a performance issue, not a facility issue.

The corps I heard (including my own) projected just fine, and the clarity level in PAETEC was far superior to any other stadium I've played in in DCA. The crowd's lack of enthusiasm at finals had nothing to do with the volume of the corps.

The 30 seconds of Cabs video I heard from the weekend sounded great. Much better than the echo chamber that is Lackawanna County Stadium. Sure that provides a nice effect when wanted, but I'd rather hear the sound the way it was intended.

Wish I could have gotten up to Rochester to see the show, but it just wouldn't happen this year.