Thank you from DCA.

Fair enough wishbonecav,

I just get a little defensive when someone calls the stadium "subpar" because it "didn't meet the needs" of someone who couldn't find the front gate. Or when someone just simply feels uncomfortable in our beloved 10th Ward.

They could have sold 11000 tickets but stopped at 8000. Even the local news stations told people that Sunday was sold out, thereby suppressing ticket sales even more... intentionally.

But...

You are right, we (including "I") should stick to suggestions that Fred or Allen Buell can do something about.

I suggest we clone about 25 more Allen Buells.

Reaction.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Mr. Fred Windish opened this forum as a means to share ideas, comments, suggestions and commentary with...brace yourself...Fred! The rapid-fire repartee between other members should be limited to a few words and/or moved to another thread. Constructive criticism was invited and expected. But it's up to Fred to evaluate and reply. After all, it's his thread. Anything else is pretty much butting in ...and, in a civilized society, that's not good form.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liz,

Having a coke and a beer with salvatores nasty overpriced pizza just doesn't make it for an excuse! All the corps worked very hard (I know we did!) to bring their respective best performances to the big show and then not to get rewarded with the roar of the biggest crowd of the year just plainly sucked! It is mainly why all us drum corps nuts do what we do!

I suggest eating before you come to the next DCA's! There is a ton of great restaurants in the area and I suggest we find a solution to make sure to have a alternative plan in effect n 20 years when the next monsoon hits so as to make non-monsoon conditions for ALL participants of the DCA World championships!

Bring a candy bar or a bottle of pop in your jacket (Heaven Forbid!) and suck up the break that MIGHT be needed for the food vendors till they start serving again! Besides, I am sure the owner(s) of the different vendors would likely conform to making as much money as possible! The prices reflect that in food cost! :sshh:

depending on your schedule and travel time til you get where you stay, that may not be an option.

Its too bad that we are misunderstanding each other! :sshh:

The point of all this is that the stadium management and personnel would have no problem going home and drying out and wouldn't have had a problem acomadating a full day on sunday I guarantee! I know several key people in their security team and operations that have done such that for other local venues for other events and wouldn't have a problem doing such that in the terrible circumstances! :blink:

As far as finals .......obviously you would use the prelim scores as final scores and give everyone a fair shot at performing in better weather conditions and stadium crowd as this is the only way people in our and mostly in all corps get "paid" B) !

maybe management can do it, but not all of the employees can drop life on a dime.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Mr. Fred Windish opened this forum as a means to share ideas, comments, suggestions and commentary with...brace yourself...Fred! The rapid-fire repartee between other members should be limited to a few words and/or moved to another thread. Constructive criticism was invited and expected. But it's up to Fred to evaluate and reply. After all, it's his thread. Anything else is pretty much butting in ...and, in a civilized society, that's not good form.

yep.

as i said earlier, and was ignored, we refuse to be pleased no matter what. we expect the perfect stadium, etc,...and face it guys, no such stadium exists. we take what we get. how many of you #####ed about Scranton, and are now #####ing about Rochester>

some of you are never happy.

DCA, the conest committee and PAETEC wants feedback, not #####fests.

that right there is a huge step...when did Scranton or Allentown ever ask for feedback?

exactly

yep.

as i said earlier, and was ignored, we refuse to be pleased no matter what. we expect the perfect stadium, etc,...and face it guys, no such stadium exists. we take what we get. how many of you #####ed about Scranton, and are now #####ing about Rochester>

some of you are never happy.

DCA, the conest committee and PAETEC wants feedback, not #####fests.

that right there is a huge step...when did Scranton or Allentown ever ask for feedback?

exactly

Well said.

I was hoping for finals in Winston-Salem, but as it turned out, Rochester stepped up to the plate and did an excellent job, overall. There is some room for tweaking, but since I started going to finals (2000) it was the best I've been to.

Fred;

Perhaps next year the other part of the Convention Center could be used for the color guard contest. The Square Dancer thing was in the way. Making all the DCA people walk around them was not good. At least get their stuff out of the Lobby. Allowing the LARGER rental tennent (DCA) to walk straight in and use the Main stairs and esolators for Minni Brass would be better.

Can you check with the Rochester people and find out if the other side. (The Home team side will be done for Next Year and will the Upper tier be Larger?

Had Great time at this year Champioships. DCA - Rochester, really did a Good Job. I am looking forward to next year.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Fred;

Perhaps next year the other part of the Convention Center could be used for the color guard contest. The Square Dancer thing was in the way. Making all the DCA people walk around them was not good. At least get their stuff out of the Lobby. Allowing the LARGER rental tennent (DCA) to walk straight in and use the Main stairs and esolators for Minni Brass would be better.

Can you check with the Rochester people and find out if the other side. (The Home team side will be done for Next Year and will the Upper tier be Larger?

Had Great time at this year Champioships. DCA - Rochester, really did a Good Job. I am looking forward to next year.

I believe the plan is to hold the entire I&E/mini-corps show in the convention center next year.... since there will be no conflict with square dancers or any other group using the facility. That, plus the likelihood of having the street venue again, gives the I&E planners a bit more flexibility next year.

Trust me, Barbara and Mr. Pronti are listening to the input from all of you and are making notes on how to improve things (including a better accoustical setup for the choruses, etc.)!

Fran

LucysSkylinerAlumni,

First of all, many excellent ideas have come forth from this outreach effort to DCA's valued fans. The DCA administration, even the corps participants, can't possibly all have the same experience at championships, no matter where the event is held. DCA's goal is to improve on its presentation every year. All of this really helps!

From what I was told, the square dance convention was actually booked into the Riverside Convention Center before the selection of Rochester for DCA was firm. We knew for 2006, DCA would be the "second" tenant in that wonderful building.

For 2007, the entire convention center is reserved for DCA Weekend. You can expect DCA to move its Mini-Corps show downstairs to an even larger floor space. You also might have noticed, the downstairs area included a large lobby section. Although filled this year with square dance vendors, we see that same space as hosting our refreshment and vendor activities. The overall facility is huge. I see no reason why the chorus event could not be moved to a more suitable room either.

Overall, I was simply amazed by what I saw on Friday evening. Between the Clarion venues, lobby, street level, and the convention center, I'm thinking we had 5000 people show up for that magnificant event. I must admit, as I walked throughout and tried to evaluate all that was going on, I was a bit teary-eyed, and it felt real good!

As for stadium expansion, the PAETEC people still need to obtain the extra funding requested (but that's close), then best determine how to enhance the existing facility. You and I would like to see larger seating added on one side, but as a multi-purpose venue intended to serve the entire Rochester region, a different use for those new funds is a real possibility. Then we need to respect the likely construction timeline. Expansion to suit DCA could be a 2008 thing at best. Really don't know.

You can expect DCA to move its Mini-Corps show downstairs to an even larger floor space.

Really? We could've marched our entire field program in the room it was ALREADY in!! (which...may not hace been a bad thing considering)

As for stadium expansion, the PAETEC people still need to obtain the extra funding requested (but that's close), then best determine how to enhance the existing facility.

One word...."dome."

I don't mean to just be negative about this but... I do feel like I wasted my money on the program. It seems to be modeled exactly off of DCI's model. The problem that I have with that is that all of the photo's are last years(?). I even heard a member from a different corps comment that the two people in their pics were not even in their corps this year. So I just don't get it, we have all summer to gather decent photo's for the program. It's not impossible to do! And, my corps was completely left out of the program while others that were at DCA last year but not this year got quarter page entry's. There too, it's not impossible to know who's coming and who's not to make it current by the time it goes to the printer. Heck, even if they don't go they should still be mentioned. Our family is too small to snub people like this.

Otherwise it was a great program.

Dan

There are some pictures from this season in the program, at least it looks that way to me.

I could be wrong (and you can tell me that I'm wrong...it's OK), but here are some examples of current season photos in the program:

The cover shot and the shot of Bucs guard in their writeup

Bush's guard

Cabs guard

possibly Hurcs guard (my memory's shaky on that one)

Sky's guard