Declining Retreat?

set up kegs and let the corps all watch the victory runs.

but make sure you have enough so the winners get some too

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying that we would have been any different than we were, but I think retreat could have been a little more friendly and not presented with threats of fines. Just my opinion and not an official opinion of my corps or staff.

I feel the same way, once again not representing my corps or any of the other staff but everything about retreat and the people "guarding" the gate didn't seem friendly nor professional.

And also to add to the fact that about 4 or 5 drum corps were told to break Hawtorne's ranks in the parking lot by the people in charge of retreat...

I feel the same way, once again not representing my corps or any of the other staff but everything about retreat and the people "guarding" the gate didn't seem friendly nor professional.

And also to add to the fact that about 4 or 5 drum corps were told to break Hawtorne's ranks in the parking lot by the people in charge of retreat...

Well, frankly, so what?

Look, the retreat set-up was confusing. Some corps were told to line up in one place and then told to move. Do you honestly expect that corps to snake it's way around just to pay homage to tradition? Of course not.

What was done was that the several corps involved asked each other nicely (I'm talking about the drum majors here), and the shuffle commenced.

I am all for supporting the "no breaking of ranks" tradition, but only when it makes sense to do so.

Well, frankly, so what?

Look, the retreat set-up was confusing. Some corps were told to line up in one place and then told to move. Do you honestly expect that corps to snake it's way around just to pay homage to tradition? Of course not.

What was done was that the several corps involved asked each other nicely (I'm talking about the drum majors here), and the shuffle commenced.

I am all for supporting the "no breaking of ranks" tradition, but only when it makes sense to do so.

I don't care, we were just doing what DCA was telling us. Under the circumstances I assume Hawthorne was OK with it to. Could it have been avoided by having the corps line up in the correct place to begin with? Yes, did any babies get harmed? No. So no biggie.

Just stating something that kind of caught me off guard along with the notion that there was no troop off the field.

When I started in this "pastime" I grew to love retreat, it gave me a time to reflect on this awsome activity that we all love. Also, hearing several hundred horn players belting out America/O' Canada was always a highlight of my nights. It seems that by losing this unifying deed, DCA/DCI are shifting the focus of the show to scores (which in most cases it is) not the pasion of drum corps. For me drum corps is all about the feeling of bretheren, and sisteren (if thats even a real word) that I get be being apart of something this monumental.

I don't care, we were just doing what DCA was telling us. Under the circumstances I assume Hawthorne was OK with it to. Could it have been avoided by having the corps line up in the correct place to begin with? Yes, did any babies get harmed? No. So no biggie.

Just stating something that kind of caught me off guard along with the notion that there was no troop off the field.

Yep.

What really bothers me, especially now that they eliminated half the awards, is that retreat is really short. If that's the case, why haul everyone and thier horns/drums out there if they aren't going to be allowed to play?

Why not just do a drum major retreat, and let the couple of corps with a shot at winning leave thier equipment at the gate?

Or better yet, why not just pick who's going to play the post-show concert ahead of time?

Oh, wait...