What is it about DCA people

I'm sorry one of our mothers offended you, but was it really necessary to bring her corps affiliation into the equation? If you need an apology from the corps, I can offer one, but the way you word it seems like you're more offended that she was with the Bucs than the fact that she was talking.

Oh Cory, relax - it had nothing to do with the fact that she was a Bucs mom...Everyone knows how classy the Buccaneers are...he was just giving detail to the situation. I don't think he needs an apology from the corps, either. :huh:

Lighten up, people. :)

Corps "moms", especially in DCA in my experience, are usually moms that don't go to shows all the time, and have no CLUE as to the "unwritten rules" that we like to enforce in the stands. Maybe I'm not aware because I'm a marching member, and maybe Fran Haring can shed some light here, but do the announcers tell the audience members that the use of cellphones during a corps performance is strictly prohibited? Well, they should if they don't. It's the same thing as using a cell phone in a movie theater, and these days, during the previews, they make sure to tell you to turn your phone off during the movie. AND, if it's said at the beginning of a show, would a reminder announcement hurt DURING the show, say at an intermission?

Also - an announcement about people getting up during a corps performance? Or trying to get back to their seats from the food stand with an armload of hot dogs and beer during a corps show? God I hate that. Someone always winds up spilling something on someone in front of them because they're trying to be too careful NOT to spill anything.

OK, I'm done. It's 4:20.

Edited by bumo27

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I am a "boisterious" young fellow at times (especially when you get a couple drinks in me), but when I enter the a performance zone I shut my brew hole out of respect for the performers. I was in the snare I&E room where a large crowd ammassed at the back of the room. From what I saw, there where quite a few "seasoned" drum corps people there. Throughout the solos I was disgusted more and more by their lack of respect. At times I could barely hear the solos being played. (or the scripture being read for Lee's snare drum mass). Could I have moved forward? Yes. But why should I? I was there to see some kick ### drumming. (congrats to all who performed btw.) Now I am not trying generalize everybody that was in the room, but I just think that next year it should be made clear to the crowd that they are there to watch solos, and not discuss the finer points of drum corps. Want to socialize, meet me in Benningans next year and we'll do some Irish car bombs.

Chris, I was simply making a point.

Now, I haven't been a spectator at a DCA show since 2003, but I can't ever remember the audience ever overshadowing a good show. And as a performer, I've never noticed people moving around in the audience. If the problems really are that bad, then maybe it would be worth your time to ask them to quiet down yourself. I doubt a casual fan is reading your rants on DCP.

Maybe I'm not aware because I'm a marching member, and maybe Fran Haring can shed some light here, but do the announcers tell the audience members that the use of cellphones during a corps performance is strictly prohibited? Well, they should if they don't.

I make that announcement at each show I do, sometimes more than once....not saying cellphone use is prohibited, but asking people to basically use some common sense and turn off their cellphones while in the seating area. However, sometimes it wouldn't matter if I made that announcement 100 times during a show. Someone's still going to pull out their cellphone. B)

Fran

I make that announcement at each show I do, sometimes more than once....not saying cellphone use is prohibited, but asking people to basically use some common sense and turn off their cellphones while in the seating area. However, sometimes it wouldn't matter if I made that announcement 100 times during a show. Someone's still going to pull out their cellphone. B)

Fran

I would be in favor of useing some sort of blocking devices at championships that prevent people from useing the cell phones.Movie theaters are starting to use this technology and it seems they can control it where only the inside of the theater is blocked.Movie patrons are free to roam around the building to use the cell phones,,just not in the theater.I feel certain that it could be used in a outdoor enviroment.I understand if someone has keylock kids at home and need to stay in touch with them.Heck I have been there before.This aint hard folks,,,keep the darn things on vibrate and if you need to take a call,,,get out of your seat and go behind the bleachers to run your pie hole.Its called RESPECT.Say it,learn it,,do it!

The worst cases of cell phone abuse this season was in Arnold Maryland.One corps in paticular was roaming all over the place talking on thier cell phones and annoying people in the stands with them.

Edited by camel lips

I'm sorry one of our mothers offended you, but was it really necessary to bring her corps affiliation into the equation? If you need an appology from the corps, I can offer one, but the way you word it seems like you're more offended that she was with the Bucs than the fact that she was talking.

sorry that was not my intention.I just wanted HER to know how annoying she was.Perhaps word of this will get back to her and she will learn to keep her piehole shut.

I do not need any appology from the corps.This was not a case where the corps is responcible for the behavior of thier spectators or supporters.

Sorry if I called your corps out on it..It won't happen again.

I would be in favor of useing some sort of blocking devices at championships that prevent people from useing the cell phones.Movie theaters are starting to use this technology and it seems they can control it where only the inside of the theater is blocked.Movie patrons are free to roam around the building to use the cell phones,,just not in the theater.I feel certain that it could be used in a outdoor enviroment.I understand if someone has keylock kids at home and need to stay in touch with them.Heck I have been there before.This aint hard folks,,,keep the darn things on vibrate and if you need to take a call,,,get out of your seat and go behind the bleachers to run your pie hole.Its called RESPECT.Say it,learn it,,do it!

The worst cases of cell phone abuse this season was in Arnold Maryland.One corps in paticular was roaming all over the place talking on thier cell phones and annoying people in the stands with them.

except DCA officials and corps officials use cell phones to communicate. if not for cell phones, i know prelims would have truly been a disaster

Little funny story:

A few years back, we had this discussion on DCP about how RUDE people are during the performances. Someone posted (I don't believe this person posts here anymore) and just went on a tyrade about how people who talk or enter/leave the stands during a performance are just plain rude, etc etc etc. Yep, I agreed w/ this person.

Flash foward a few months at a show, and I ran into this person. We decided to watch one of the corps together. About half way through the show, t his person's cell phone starts ringing, and not only does this person not make a move to pick it up right away, but when this person DID finally pick it up, they began speaking.....loudly......during the performance. I was MORTIFIED. People around us were looking at us rudely (as well they should be). I was praying for spontaneous human invisibility. We were sitting in the middle of the row, so if I got up it would only make the disturbance worse. (What's worse, I was in half uni with my Renegades jacket on) People had seen the two of us talking between performances, so there was no hiding the fact that we were together.

Needless to say, after the corps was over, I flew out of there in a dash.

Oy.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

i know my lack of tact can be legendary, but i have no problem telling an idiot to shut up. ask any Legionaires from DCA 05

except DCA officials and corps officials use cell phones to communicate. if not for cell phones, i know prelims would have truly been a disaster

You mean they werent a disaster? :P

Ok,,all jokes aside,,,its just a suggestion to look at,,there are lots of other suggestions I could make such as training ushers better to be aware and re-active to the use of cell phones..

IF you blocked cell phone use,,,DCA could always use other direct means of communication.There are many modes out there to look at that are very cost effective.Motorola would probably be happy to set you up with some state of the art stuff in exchange for sponcerships or advertising.

Just my 2 cents worth.