I'm just sorry to see conditions like what we had be some people's first exposure to DCA, such as WorldGoneMad.

I for one do not know all the details of what this person put up with all year but I will miss him, his wife, his boy, his musical instruments and the fun they all brought to our season.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really glad the show wasn't cancelled. Consider those conditions the doughnut on the baseball bat. After performing in those conditions, the finals performance was a piece of cake! And really, I would hate to perform in finals without having been in the stadium before.

... When I got on the field, I was not upset by how few people were in the stands. I actually felt pumped up by the fact that those fans did stay in their seats to watch us! Those people are hardcore! ...

... You still got to watch finals in good weather, so why do you care if prelims were cancelled or not? It happened! We did the show! After all we went through it just doesn't seem right to tell us we shouldn't have done it.

Im not sure what to make of this post.

You're glad YOU got a warm up in the venue because you knew YOU were going to get into finals. It didnt matter how many fans were in the stands during prelims because knew YOU'd have a full house at finals. And yes, after watching the miserable prelims performances I got to see finals the very next day in the nice weather.

What we're missing here are the other 11 corps who didn't get that opportunity; most of which I only had the one chance to see. You remember those guys: Kilties; Crusaders; Music City Legend; Frontier; Skyliners; Sunrisers; Chops, Inc; Lakeshoremen; Alliance; Gulf Coast Sound? Or perhaps they just don't matter, because everyone came to see YOU.

Being a long time drum corps supporter IT MATTERS TO ME. Some of you kids just can't appreciate what it means to those corps that didn't make finals, because its all about YOU. Perhaps you joined a corps because you knew that corps would be a finalist, or you may be that person that hops from one corps to the next just to make sure you're in finals. Its not about YOU; it's about everyone.

I can only hope for the best next year for those corps' that didn't get to perform in the good weather. I'm hoping that some of the rookies in those corps are not discouraged from continuing on with their corps'. I hope they don't look for greener pastures in an already made top ten corps. I hope they're able to come back next year as strong as they were this year if not stronger and perhaps be strong enough to knock someone else out of finals. Maybe that would be YOU. It would suck wouldn't it? Perhaps its just one of those lessons we learn as an adult; not in age but emotional maturity.

To all the members of the Kilties; Crusaders, Music City Legend, Frontier, Skyliners, Sunrisers, Chops Inc, Lakeshoremen, Alliance and Gulf Coast Sound, I love what you folks are doing. Stick it out and make your programs stronger, because you all are the reason I buy a prelims ticket; I have no need to see the top ten finalists twice. If it weren't for you, I would just buy the finals ticket.

You're glad YOU got a warm up in the venue because you knew YOU were going to get into finals. It didnt matter how many fans were in the stands during prelims because knew YOU'd have a full house at finals. And yes, after watching the miserable prelims performances I got to see finals the very next day in the nice weather.

What we're missing here are the other 11 corps who didn't get that opportunity; most of which I only had the one chance to see. You remember those guys: Kilties; Crusaders; Music City Legend; Frontier; Skyliners; Sunrisers; Chops, Inc; Lakeshoremen; Alliance; Gulf Coast Sound? Or perhaps they just don't matter, because everyone came to see YOU.

Being a long time drum corps supporter IT MATTERS TO ME. Some of you kids just can't appreciate what it means to those corps that didn't make finals, because its all about YOU. Perhaps you joined a corps because you knew that corps would be a finalist, or you may be that person that hops from one corps to the next just to make sure you're in finals. Its not about YOU; it's about everyone.

I can only hope for the best next year for those corps' that didn't get to perform in the good weather. I'm hoping that some of the rookies in those corps are not discouraged from continuing on with their corps'. I hope they don't look for greener pastures in an already made top ten corps. I hope they're able to come back next year as strong as they were this year if not stronger and perhaps be strong enough to knock someone else out of finals. Maybe that would be YOU. It would suck wouldn't it? Perhaps its just one of those lessons we learn as an adult; not in age but emotional maturity.

To all the members of the Kilties; Crusaders, Music City Legend, Frontier, Skyliners, Sunrisers, Chops Inc, Lakeshoremen, Alliance and Gulf Coast Sound, I love what you folks are doing. Stick it out and make your programs stronger, because you all are the reason I buy a prelims ticket; I have no need to see the top ten finalists twice. If it weren't for you, I would just buy the finals ticket.

What are you smoking?? I never disrespected any corps. I admire them as much as any other corps and it's not my fault they didn't make finals. If a corps scores high enough they get to compete in finals. It's been that way forever. Does that somehow make me arrogant?? And as far as the weather, that is nobody's fault either. It is unfortunite what happened, but drum corps is a rain or shine event (except in the occurance of lightning). If it rains, those corps have to compete in the rain. BOO HOO! What good is it doing to get mad at people for the weather??? It rained for prelims and it didn't rain during finals. It's all up to mother nature. I guarentee there was no conspiracy. I don't think any corps have enough money to change the weather. And for your information Mr. Smartypants, I don't corps jump. The only reason I've marched in two corps is because I had to age out sometime. Here at DCA I've found a home where I will stay. It's pretty funny what you said. If my only motivation was winning, don't you think I would have marched elsewhere? But I didn't. I will remain where I am. This may come as a big shock to you, but younger people can have corps loyalty too. Imagine that!

It's not all about me. But maybe you can't see too clearly all the way up there on your high horse.

For someone talking about maturity, you sure are spending a lot of time whining about the weather.

:laugh:

It's not all puppies and rainbows all the time.

Again, you ASSUMED THE RISK that something like this would happen when you bought your ticket. We all ASSUMED THE RISK that something like this could happen we we decided to participate in a competitive outdoor activity.

And to insinuate that Evan and I march in our respective corps just to make finals is ludicrous. If you even remotely follow the activity you would know that both the Brigadiers and the Renegades had very difficult winters. If not for the character and persistance of our respective memberships, we very easily could have been bumped from finals this year. Traits that we develop by making it through tough situations like Saturday. I know when I finished my performance Saturday, I didn't know if make finals or not.

You're acting like this is all a personal afront to the corps that didn't make finals. They knew what they were getting into when they signed up for the gig. They had just as much of a chance to make finals as everyone else that competed Saturday night. They had just as much chance to bump off my corps or Evan's corps if they were good enough.

It's a competitive activity. You chose your team. You live with your choice. You win or lose.

What are you smoking?? I never disrespected any corps. I admire them as much as any other corps and it's not my fault they didn't make finals. If a corps scores high enough they get to compete in finals. It's been that way forever. Does that somehow make me arrogant?? And as far as the weather, that is nobody's fault either. It is unfortunite what happened, but drum corps is a rain or shine event (except in the occurance of lightning). If it rains, those corps have to compete in the rain. BOO HOO! What good is it doing to get mad at people for the weather??? It rained for prelims and it didn't rain during finals. It's all up to mother nature. I guarentee there was no conspiracy. I don't think any corps have enough money to change the weather. And for your information Mr. Smartypants, I don't corps jump. The only reason I've marched in two corps is because I had to age out sometime. Here at DCA I've found a home where I will stay. It's pretty funny what you said. If my only motivation was winning, don't you think I would have marched elsewhere? But I didn't. I will remain where I am. This may come as a big shock to you, but younger people can have corps loyalty too. Imagine that!

It's not all about me. But maybe you can't see too clearly all the way up there on your high horse.

I can vouch for Evan, he bleeds red and black. I marched with him last year.

I changed competitive corps this year because I wanted a different environment. Sometimes people corps hop because they fit in better somewhere else. It's not about winning or making finals. It's just drum corps. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Heck, I might even get involved with Austin Stars next year, just because it would be fun to be involved with a startup corps and I've got friends involved in it. Give a little back to this activity that I've gotten a lot out of.

Luis,

in theory i'll agree it COULD work.

23 prelim corps, 17 mintes total.....that 6.5 hours, not counting any breaks.

13 corps at finals....thats 3.6 hours not counting any breaks or retreat.

alumni show is is roughly 3 hours...IF they run on time. and no offense to my fine alumni friends, they often don't. i'm not complaining, i like the alumni show.

so, not counting breaks, retreat or the time to clear the stands so people can get in the right seats for the right shows, you have a 13....or longer if they alumni corps run over....13 hour day.

now add in needed breaks, retreat, and the time it takes to clear the stadium, only to let everybody back in after 3 shows.

17 hours?

now don't forget many municipalities have noise ordinances. that will lmit the hours available in some cases.

something's gotta give dude.

And that's when you take a pre-arranged PLAN, agreed upon, in advance, by the member corps, to seed the top 5-6-7, (you pick the #) corps, according to an arranged formula; and advance them to finals, clearing out more time to hold prelims.

(the idea has already been posted here. I JUST LIKE IT!)

Edited by brassomaniac

Im trying to determine from your post what you think was accomplished by holding prelims in those weather conditions. Youre yelling at him yet he stayed and watched prelims. Hundreds of people did not. They certainly didnt get anything out of it. And you dont want him in the stands? Nice! . If youre that hot to show how great you are maybe we can arrange for you to always play in hurricanes with no fans watching. There are too many people here and lurking that are legends in their own minds and want to pat themselves on the back for gutting it out. All of us performed to the best of our abilities because we had to and thats what we worked for all season. Me I like fans in the stands, I like nice conditions, and if it is at all in the control of an event organizer, then I think thats what they should always shoot for.

If there was no other choice then hey those are the cards we were dealt and you handle it. But please can all you supermen out there stop saying how special you are for doing what you had no choice but to do anyway.

OMG!

Well Stated, to say the least!

And that's when you take a pre-arranged PLAN, agreed upon, in advance, by the member corps, to seed the top 5-6-7, (you pick the #) corps, according to an arranged formula; and advance them to finals, clearing out more time to hold prelims.

(the idea has already been posted here. I JUST LIKE IT!)

And then you'll have people whining on drum corps planet that it's not fair that corps # 5-6-7 get advanced without actually competing.

No matter what happens, some people are always going to whine.

Like some of you.

:laugh: