Oh yea, I forgot to mention my idea on that one. The finals tickets that were sold for the event take precedence. A prelims ticket holder will trade in their ticket for a credit to be applied towards a seat at the event, ( it may be general admission), or they receive a partial credit for the next years championships. And to make it more palatable, you could give those ticket holders preferential treatment by offering them a special limited time pre-sale to obtain premium seating.

Sure there are probably lots of problems with this, but I bet we could each add something to improve this to make it more equitable without giving away the farm.

"dear mr prelims ticket holder, i am sorry but these seats belong to mr finals ticket holder, even thought technically it's prelims. here please accept a partial credit and these seats on the minus 10"

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

refunds will kill DCA, and in turn the corps. and this policy, partial refunds will turn into full ones.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only answer I can come up with to your question of "HOW COME WE HAD ''''''NONE'''''OF THE ABOVE AT DCA? is because your unit wasn't good enough to make out of the prelims. Don't blame DCA or the weather for your own corps inadequate performance.

Since you seem the need to cross that line, let me volley. How come your corps wasn't even good enough to make the Prelims DVD? Since the last nine corps or so didn't even get recorded at prelims. Or so I've heard. MCL got to perform at the end of the Alumni show just so they could get a recording of their show for the season.

And for the conspiracy theorists, apparently at some point the field was relined during prelims. I probably wont know at which point until I get the DVDs. But what if that just happened to be for the last ten open class corps that did made finals? So much for a "level" playing field.

I'm left wondering what would have been cheaper. To line the field at least four times, like what apparently happened? To line it once and have to reline the soccer field at the end of the event? Or to bring back the 21 or so corps who didn't get a quality recording of their show at some other weekend in the future? Or to refund all of the costs of all of the corps and members for those corps who didn't get to perform on sunday, and pretend like it never happened.

I'm not mad that I had to perform under those conditions. Or even that there weren't any noticeable lines on the field. I am mad that apparently not every one had those same conditions. And that my prelims DVD will not contain ALL of the prelims performances. And that after all that, there's only been two pictures of the entire show that have surfaced. None of which were taken by Jolesch.

the dvd thing is unfortunate, and i'm not sure why MCL wasn't able to be filmed, but at least they were able to get a dvd of their show period.

Let's cut to the chase here.

The only way DCA can have a "backup plan" to reschedule events for inclement weather is by contracting for more than the standard one stadium/two day deal, and commiting all participating groups to their rain dates.

In other words:

To avoid bad weather on Saturday, many suggest holding both prelims and finals Sunday (if weather will be better). But DCA says they can't fit prelims, finals and the alumni show all in one day. Therefore, the alumni show would have to move. To make that feasible would require either an available venue on Monday, or an alternate indoor venue for Saturday. Of course, all participating alumni corps (and their audience) would have to be in town on the chosen rain date in case this schedule change takes effect. I know this will get a negative reaction from the alumni corps folks, but for those who feel that the field contests should take precedence, this idea may be the only alternative to a repeat of the rain-soaked prelim scenario.

To avoid bad weather on Sunday, I don't think anyone would propose moving finals to Saturday; thus, the only practical rain date for finals would be Monday. Obviously, DCA would need the option of renting the stadium for that additional day to make that happen.

By the way, we're lucky there was no lightning involved in this storm. Just out of curiousity, what is DCA's "plan B" if electrical storms prevent all field events on Saturday?

Just out of curiousity, what is DCA's "plan B" if electrical storms prevent all field events on Saturday?

I don't know the answer to that,,but I do know that we were told by DCA that the prelims would get done even if it meant some corps would be performing at 3 am in the morning on Sunday.

Logically it would make sence to have a alternative indoor facility for the Alumni corps to perform in the event of rain delay for semis,,so the semis could be held on Sunday.Not Ideal for everyone,,but it would work.

Well said, Evan. By the time we got on the bus to go to rehearsal Sunday, it was more like months had passed rather than a mear 12 hours. Everyone was laughing and joking and very focused on moving forward. You know the saying...that which doesn't kill you...

####....SoCal Dream was singing "You Are my Sunshine" at the entry gate Saturday.

"dear mr prelims ticket holder, i am sorry but these seats belong to mr finals ticket holder, even thought technically it's prelims. here please accept a partial credit and these seats on the minus 10"

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

refunds will kill DCA, and in turn the corps. and this policy, partial refunds will turn into full ones.

If you don't want it to work, it wont. If you do want it to work, you'll figure it out. If you have no interest in figuring it out, then you're not the man for the job.

Was it raining at prelims?

Shucks.

I guess I was too intent on doing my very best to notice small stuff.

Best post I've read yet. :)

And kudos to you others who have stepped up to the plate to testify how much the rain either a. didn't matter or b. made you better. Like most of, if not all of you, I came to DCAs for three purposes - to perform the very best I could, to contribute to my drum corps' performance, and to entertain the crowd. Period - the end.

Logically it would make sence to have a alternative indoor facility for the Alumni corps to perform in the event of rain delay for semis,,so the semis could be held on Sunday.Not Ideal for everyone,,but it would work.

Best "if the #### hits the fan" idea I've heard yet. Would hurt crowd size at either event and lessen the amount of money the Alumnis get but beats cancelling something.

And 84BDsop, reminds me of Steel City Ambassadors at a show in Carlisle, PA. It was raining and when SCA was playing "Stormy Weather" the heavens opened up. :wub:

If you don't want it to work, it wont. If you do want it to work, you'll figure it out. If you have no interest in figuring it out, then you're not the man for the job.

Then step up to the plate big man and do something about it.

Figure it out yourself. Anyone can sit on the internet and #### and moan and point fingers, like you're doing.

Why don't you get involved and try to make a difference.

Since this was such a terrible tragedy and all. Wow. It rained and people got wet and didn't make finals and blubber blubber boo hoo.

It's only been a year since Katrina. Now that was a real tragedy - I can't believe you're still trying to make a big deal out of this.