Impact on DCI

Out of curiosity, what are some of the reasons one might conjur up as to why the week might possibly be cancelled?

Next year? An earthquake that causes enough damage to the Rose Bowl to prevent it use.

The next ten years after that: a tornado in Indy. Having lived in Kansas for a while now, I can tell you that an f4 or f5 could mess up that new stadium pretty bad.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he said Finals.

the op said finals week.

Well you asked Michael....

Death of the sitting President from natural or manmade causes.

Death of a large number of a corps members after Semis in a bus accident or housing fire(for example).

Natural or weather related disaster.

Terrorist attack on US soil.

Nuclear reactor meltdown near the Finals site.

People with better imaginations than mine could probably come up with a few more.

the op said finals week.

My bad for being unclear. Have never been to any part of DCI Finals so unsure of the "phraseology" <$1 to Mayor Shin in "The Music Man">. #### I'm still getting used to DCA running from Friday night to Sunday night. When I marched DCA Prelims and Finals were held the same day and sometimes there was only an hour or two break between the two. :music:

I'm taking for granted DCI Championship Week (hopefully that's a good term) is the major money maker for the organization. Wondering how losing that $$$$ would affect DCIs operations in the following years.

And going with weather disasters at Indy for cancellation causes.

1) RCA Dome used for refugees (shades on SuperDome last year and Pocono Downs Racetrack after 1972 Hurricane Agnes)

2) Emergency officals ban "unnessacary travel in the area" for whatever reason.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Believe it or not, there's something called "event insurance" that steps in to compensate a producer if something happens that necessitates canceling a big event. It's not cheap, but it's much cheaper than potentially losing millions in revenue (since most of the expenses of producing a big event are largely upfront expenses, producers need gate revenue to keep themselves solvent.

I'd imagine the DCI Board, if they're prudent, carries event insurance that would kick in if Finals had to be cancelled due to an act of God (or someone significantly LESS benign... B) )

I highly doubt DCI would purchase such an insurance policy. These types of policies tend to be very expensive because it is difficult for insurance companies to predict the probability of loss. Are you in the insurance business? Because, I disagree with you that being purdent means DCI should purchase such an expensive policy.

lack of pre-order ticket sales... I don't know

I highly doubt DCI would purchase such an insurance policy. These types of policies tend to be very expensive because it is difficult for insurance companies to predict the probability of loss.

Expense depends on a number of actuarial factors, so not EVERY event policy is outrageously expensive (and the amount of the premium, of course, is dependent on the level of coverage). I've negotiated event coverage for festivals, and the expense was a minor consideration when placed against the projected losses if the event had fallen victim of bad luck (a leased venue burning down the night before a performance, for example).

Finals week is a significant portion of DCI's annual income. If they failed to have the week covered and something went wrong, it would take a looooong time to make up that lost income.

BTW, I've only known one event producer who ever had to file a claim on their policy (a major international ski event in Colorado that had to cancel the event due to lack of quality snow). The Board of the producing org. had to think a long time whether they could eat the loss and NOT file a claim, but in the end, decided to accept the increased premium expense the following year rather than writing off their whole investment in the event.

Edited by mobrien

Is this like the sillies topic ever posted?

Who thinks like this?

9/11 happened because two separate administrations failed to follow up on serious threats posed by al qaeda even after the WTC was bombed in 1993.

Stop thinking like a fatalist. Democracy is still live and well. Don't give into the scare tactics of the right-wing conservative media and this administration.

Don't give into the scare tactics of the right-wing conservative media and this administration.

Wow - and it's the biased, liberal media that keeps saying, "we aren't any safer now." Seems to me that they're the ones using scare tactics.

Edited by Kimberly