Who Will Be the Next 1st-Time DCI Champiom

I think Phantom (who has Tied for the Top spot) has the best chance, to get their OWN title.

But must agree that the Bluecoats look like the next group.

I think Academy is "Marching towards" the Big time and will soon (in a few ywear) right up there.

The Magic got a 99.5 in 2002 in Div II, then barely making Top 12 with an 85.6 and have yet to return.

Ummm....Actually (granted it has probably been some of the most dramatic slips in DCI history) The Magic has slipped from Finals once then came back then slipped out again

1994- 11th - 81.500

1995- 12th - 82.400

1996- 8th - 85.500

1997- 10th - 85.700

1998- 13th- 85.000

1999- 14th - 81.300

2000- Did not field? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

2001- Exhibition only? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

2002- 11th - 84.850

2003- 11th - 85.600

2004- 17th- 77.000

2005- 21st- 75.975

2006- 20th- 75.225

Edited by Huntington Mallets

The Academy? I think the original poster meant Div I, yes? And even if they were Div I, do you really think they could break Top 12? Let's see...The Magic got a 99.5 in 2002 in Div II, then barely making Top 12 with an 85.6 and have yet to return. The Academy got a 95.625 (lowest first place finish of a Div II I know for a fact from the last 5 years) and you think that's not only Top 12 material, but that they will surpass all other before another champ is crowned? Doubt it.

Now Crown is a strong choice, but their shows are always so middle of the road. They need to step it up at least two notches.

Boston's shows always seem to die out during the last half. They need a stronger second half of their programs.

Bluecoats would be my choice. They have solid shows and staff, they just need to write a show that's easy enough to have clean by July (which seems to be what the judges are looking for nowadays).

Hello? Scores don't mean SQUAT! It's who you BEAT!

The Academy? I think the original poster meant Div I, yes? And even if they were Div I, do you really think they could break Top 12? Let's see...The Magic got a 99.5 in 2002 in Div II, then barely making Top 12 with an 85.6 and have yet to return. The Academy got a 95.625 (lowest first place finish of a Div II I know for a fact from the last 5 years) and you think that's not only Top 12 material, but that they will surpass all other before another champ is crowned? Doubt it.

Now Crown is a strong choice, but their shows are always so middle of the road. They need to step it up at least two notches.

Boston's shows always seem to die out during the last half. They need a stronger second half of their programs.

Bluecoats would be my choice. They have solid shows and staff, they just need to write a show that's easy enough to have clean by July (which seems to be what the judges are looking for nowadays).

I agree completely with this post.

How many times has a Div II/III corps gone on to compete in Div I? And how many times has one of those corps even made finals? Sorry, but if Magic just barely edged into the 12 spot after getting the high score ever, Academy might stand a chance of making the "top 6" in about 20 years. And that's if 6 or 7 well known corps like Crossmen or CC completely fold.

I know this sounds like I am ripping on Academy, but let's be honest people. It takes every ounce of awesomeness corps for like Bluecoats got just to make 4th. And let's not forget The Glassmen in 98,99, and 01. Now where are they? Madison used to be near the top every year. And now.... We still need to see if the Bluecoats can stay where they are. And we're already talking about a Div II corps beating groups like The Cavaliers and The Blue Devils? Wow.

I'm gonna say Bluecoats. And not before 2010. Probably more like 2012. And unless something huge happens and we lose groups like Cavies and BD, the next new champion after that won't be until like 2020. The "rise up to 5th and drop back down" thing has happened way too much for me to do anything other than say "I'll believe it when I see it." Bluecoats had a realllyyy awesome show this year, so who knows what can happen. But then again, Glassmen had a realllyy awesome show in 99, and then again in 01. And now we do know what happened.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I agree completely with this post.

How many times has a Div II/III corps gone on to compete in Div I? And how many times has one of those corps even made finals? Sorry, but if Magic just barely edged into the 12 spot after getting the high score ever, Academy might stand a chance of making the "top 6" in about 20 years. And that's if 6 or 7 well known corps like Crossmen or CC completely fold.

I know this sounds like I am ripping on Academy, but let's be honest people. It takes every ounce of awesomeness corps for like Bluecoats got just to make 4th. And let's not forget The Glassmen in 98,99, and 01. Now where are they? Madison used to be near the top every year. And now.... We still need to see if the Bluecoats can stay where they are. And we're already talking about a Div II corps beating groups like The Cavaliers and The Blue Devils? Wow.

I'm gonna say Bluecoats. And not before 2010. Probably more like 2012. And unless something huge happens and we lose groups like Cavies and BD, the next new champion after that won't be until like 2020. The "rise up to 5th and drop back down" thing has happened way too much for me to do anything other than say "I'll believe it when I see it." Bluecoats had a realllyyy awesome show this year, so who knows what can happen. But then again, Glassmen had a realllyy awesome show in 99, and then again in 01. And now we do know what happened.

Nothing like a good healthy dose of pessimism. <**>

And yes, the percussion change at Crown WILL help...but one staff member change does not a champion make.

I think sometimes Crown fans predict victory every time the corps burps. :P