Who Will Be the Next 1st-Time DCI Champiom

I was thinking about a little twist to this -- what if a crystal ball told us that there wouldn't be a first-time winner for the next 5 or 10 years (let's say 7 to split the difference)? How would that change your answer? Do you think that the Bluecoats could remain top 4 and competitive for that long WITHOUT winning a title? Or in 7 years time, would it be more likely that Crown or Glassmen or BAC or even Academy or Blue Stars could make a similar run that Bluecoats have to take the prize? (Or someone else -- those were just listed for example sake).

I quoted the above quote because it comes pretty close to answering my questions before I asked them -- but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

The only reason I think that there will be a new first time champion within the next 10 years is because every decade has had at least one... my whole argument is based on past history, so clearly it's all I have to go on.

The only reason I think that there will be a new first time champion within the next 10 years is because every decade has had at least one... my whole argument is based on past history, so clearly it's all I have to go on.

I understand -- and I agree with you. I was just positing a hypothetical. Bluecoats seems to be the consensus answer because a lot of folks (myself included :) ) think they can win within the next 3 years or so. I was trying to present a hypothetical that if a little birdie told us that the next first time champion wouldn't happen until 2013, do you still think it would be the Bluecoats, or would then the thinking on all the corps' progress by then be a little different.

Just a little fun off-season conjecture ....

You’re all winners, you’re all just so super special, it’s a thrill

I do have an opinion on this but seeing that I’d single one corp out and perhaps above some other corps..I’ll keep my guess to myself

Once again, you are all really just magnificent because you are you and you are special, so special

I have seen the Academy's long term goal, and "WINNING" div one is not listed.

Please go to the academy website and read their goals, visions, and philosophies,

the phase "wining div one/two in the next 10 years" does not appear anywhere.......

This is true. But I don't think that you'll find something like that listed on ANY corps's website. No corps in their right mind would stick their neck out like that. We're the only one's stupid enough to do that. :P

phantom will win their first OWN championship soon... beyond that, i'd say bluecoats.

i think if anyone is correct its that guy.. even though they tied in 96, they still have yet to claim the spot for themselves.. so for that, i think phantom would be the next "new" winner. but i dont think itll happen next year, and probably not the year after.. but if they keep progressing, then within 5 years... sure. theyll have some tough competition though, with cavs, bd, cadets, scv (if they continue to move back up)

the next 1st time champion? id say the bluecoats.. but they dont know "how" to win. their show just dies near the end. they dont know how to sell off the ending in a championship type of way. so i dont see that within the next 5 years. now maybe once woodwinds are brought into the picture thatll change.. *pukes* but there is just too much competition right now in the top 5 for a corps who hasnt won... to win

i think once academy moves up to div 1, theyll be the newest competitor for that top 12/10 position for a few years

My opinion on this subject should be considered completely ironic based upon a discussion I had on this board many months ago where I stated (in so many words) that I DIDN'T think Bluecoats would likely place in the top 4 (and I'm glad I'm eating my words) due to the fact that so many corps place in the top 5 or 6 only to fall away later and not hang on (i.e. Boston, Glassmen, Crossment etc). However, I ALSO stated that if Bluecoats WERE to ever break into the top 4 and never won, they would be the first corps since the early 80s not to. Cavaliers, broke through in 86 and eventually won. Star, same thing. Cadets, same thing. EVERY bottom 6 regular past Bridgemen and Spirit of the late 70s and early 80s who have ever made the top 4 have eventually won.

Therefore, I think that anyone who does not answer this question with a corps who's name starts with a "Bl" and ends with an "uecoats" is really sticking their neck out in the way of odds. Until someone else does what Bluecoats just did, they should be the most likely canidate in terms of statistical odds.

Edited by torn8o

The Blue Star Drum and Bugle Corps.