Member corps

I sat on a bus to Chicago in 89. given that 100 people were in the stands, someone lost money on that deal....most likely us

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And speaking of judging issues. How will the scenario of a Class A corps making the top 10 or top 14 ever come true if you don't use the same panel of judges for Class A and Open Class in Prelims?

Don't know. That's probably why they use one panel for both class A and open-class prelims.

<**> why?..............................could it be that you didn't offer them enough?,.........................I mean really,...................... :worthy:

Waffles are ready!

Hi Gary,

The Kilties hosted a Div II/III show in which intially the "all age" corps that were also members of DCI-C (and DCA-C) were formally invited. There was only a limited response from one corps, so we never were even able to get into any type of formal performance fee areas of discussion, much less work out any other details such as being a duel sanctioned event. For whatever reason(s), unknown to us, even though it would have been great....it just did not develop.

Bill

:)

Edited by bill

If the scores given on DCI Division II/III sheets and DCA sheets, that come from regions other than the Northeast, are continued to be treated as not factual/accurate and verifiably correct reads of the Non-Northeast Drum Corps, by the DCA Northeast judges, then DCA will continue to have an ever increasing problem as far as sustaining or building the various Non-Northeast DCA regions is concerned.

I don't see where DCA is treating these scores as invalid. They use them for seeding, no questions asked.

It has been said in previous threads on DCP over the course of time that the cost of bringing together a cross section/panel of Northeast Drum Corps judges is simply not feasible financially. The creation of one super-slate event held prior to DCA Championships in as geographically central a location as possible is needed and can be obtained with minimal travel for all DCA Drum Corps involved as well as judges.

I'm not following this logic. If sending 11 judges out of region is too expensive, how would sending 11 corps out of region be any cheaper?

I don't mean to rain on your parade here - frankly, the idea of a centrally-located inter-regional focus show is worthy of discussion on it's own marketing merits alone. But let's face it - generally speaking, bringing the judges to the corps is cheaper than bringing the corps to the judges, and that's why DCA has gone that route. As time passes, the other regions will develop DCA-literate judges (perhaps they already have). And when that happens, then the championship panel can draw on judges nationwide (maybe it already does - I haven't looked), and we might run out of things to ##### about. :)

With a conservative 100+ hours of travel time for the Kilties in 2006 as an example, not counting the time required by members to even get to the departure/starting point (I.E. As was mentioned by the CV DCP poster), it is going to make Drum Corps have to make hard and possibly bad decisions due to financial and member attrition rates.

All the more reason for regions to develop more of their own events, like DCA is encouraging them to. :worthy:

I sat on a bus to Chicago in 89. given that 100 people were in the stands, someone lost money on that deal....most likely us

St. Charles, Illinois, right?

I was one of those 100 in the stands.....

I just find the drastic changes in score over the course of two weeks is attributed to nothing other than a different judging panel for the two classes.

What are you talking about, the judges are the same?

apples to oranges, totally different show dynamics.

with 23 corps at prelims, the job is to rank, then rate.

with up to 20 corps following them in some cases, the judges have to leave room to work with

By your very words of show dynamics being completely "Apples to Oranges" you have hit upon a major point in the overall score comparison validity of the various DCA shows that are held over the course of any DCA competitive season. Show me an occasion in 2006 where a DCA Northeast Drum Corps took a major slide backwards in score from one show to the next like happened in Minnesota's two back to back shows judged by the same judging panel except for one individual change.

If scores cannot be held as an accurate guage for one venue in DCA then they cannot be held as an accurate guage in any venue in DCA. The Minnesota DCA shows did in fact have a partial panel comprised of DCA Northeast judges included within the aggregate whole. I believe the Olympic's had to deal with the very same question of order of appearance affecting directly the scores being achieved/given to various competitor's. In the end this decides which DCA Drum Corps have an advantage in potentially making the top 14 and 10. In turn this decides which DCA Drum Corps are given the opportunity to receive a vote and as a result these DCA Drum Corps drive the direction of all subsequent decision making on what DCA values and supports as an organization.

The fact that not one Class "A" corps is even included in the top 14 DCA scoring Drum Corps leaves a void when addressing the DCA Class "A" Drum Corps needs/issues. Since this is an inclusive organization, I believe, maybe it is time for each and every DCA competing Drum Corps that makes the trip, to the DCA Championships, to be treated with an equal amount of respect and hence an equal vote in guiding the direction and decisions of the DCA organization. Let the voice and vote of the masses decide the present and future direction/decisions of the DCA organization.

By your very words of show dynamics being completely "Apples to Oranges" you have hit upon a major point in the overall score comparison validity of the various DCA shows that are held over the course of any DCA competitive season. Show me an occasion in 2006 where a DCA Northeast Drum Corps took a major slide backwards in score from one show to the next like happened in Minnesota's two back to back shows judged by the same judging panel except for one individual change.

see Rochester Crusaders scores,..............and you don't see them crying here,.............

I don't see where DCA is treating these scores as invalid. They use them for seeding, no questions asked.

The reference to the scores being treated as invalid is in reference to the same judging panel drastically downgrading the same DCA Drum Corps from one DCA-C show to the next (I.E. Less than 24-hours apart). The use of the scores being used for seeding purposes "No Questions Asked" is not true either. Take a look/gander at the various DCA tiered classes (I.E. Member vs. Associate Member vs. Affiliate Member, Etc ...) and the subset of rules that apply to the various order of appearance that result from said rules (I.E. Kilties performing two corps lower than their seeded score would have dictated).

I'm not following this logic. If sending 11 judges out of region is too expensive, how would sending 11 corps out of region be any cheaper?

I am not suggesting that 11 or anything close to that number of DCA Northeast Drum Corps be sent out of region. I am suggesting that having a single Non-Northeast DCA show per year comprised of a full panel of DCA Northeast judges would provide a valid score that could not be modified as desired later by the DCA Northeast judging community. Having a coalition of the willing DCA Northeast Drum Corps possibly come to this show would be a nicety but not a requirement. I am betting that most if not all Non-Northeast DCA Drum Corps might just be willing to take a single trip per year to get an accurate and undisputed read by the judging community that will ultimately decide their fate at the DCA Championships.