Member corps

I think it's really telling that I haven't seen a single complaint from our West Coast and Southern friends anywhere in this thread.

I would like to jump in and say "Have everyone travel out to the west for at least one show every season." but I understand the facets of our activity enough to know that is not financially possible to require that. Besides, I think it would be great to have corps travel here just because they want to, like we do to go to championships, for a fun weekend away from home. Come out on a weekend that has two shows, there are a couple, or come out for one show. Then the next day, depending on which show you choose, go to Disneyland, or go see San Francisco. Make it a bonding weekend over more than just corps related activities.

Let's keep this positive folks. Left turn please! :blush:

I agree.....turn left and head out to the west coast.... :P

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again... To get valid scores in other regions you don't have to move whole drum corps. Just move in a few different judges for each weekend. Scores and corps become more comparable. Again... To make participation equal votes..... One vote if you make a DCA show, Two votes if you hold a DCA show, One vote if you go to prelims, Two votes if you make the top ten. The best, most active corps gets the most votes. A corps (no matter how good ) can only get one or two votes if they are not very involved with DCA. It make no difference if you are open or A.

EDIT..... I have seen some unhappy posts from all areas. Please don't make blanket statements. Some midwesterners are just putting out some ideas to try and make all age the strongest organization running Drum Corps. Along the way congradulating the eastern corps for putting on years of good championships. Not looking to move them. (The corps or the championships). I really enjoy my weekend out to the championships. Bonding with my friends on tour.

Edited by moon

Look, these conserns ARE legit. The problem is one of presentation.

A lot of Kilties members posting in this thread (and others) do come off looking like they are whining. Even you can admit that much. And as such, it gets really old. Do you know what the best way to solve this probelm is?

HOST A SHOW. Host a big 'ole show and do whatever you have to do to get the Northeastern and Southern corps to attend. Pay 'em. Sell a crap-load of tickets. Sell of ton of ads for your program. Make THEM be the ones under the gun. Give them no reason NOT to attend.

Is that going to be easy? Of course not...but nothing worth doing ever is. It's easy to sit back and cry "we should this and we should've that". It's hard to put your money where your mouth is...but you know what? You CAN do it. How do I know? I remember what your corps' motto is.

Hammer - Nail - Head

this is where it is at,...................and said many pages ago,................In looking around, I find that many of the corps in the Central area did not even have a show on the day of Kilties II/III show, invitations are fine, but that doesn't get the corps there, you need to engage in dialog, find out whys and why nots,................plus Lakeshoremen could have a show also,............... many on here make it sound as though East corps travel a 1/2 hour on show day, which is far from the truth,.............Empire out to Jersey is a haul, Skyliners to Erie 9-10 hours, Grenadiers to anywhere, minimumn 5-6 hours, and in most cases much. much more,.............

Host a show, encourage EVERY corps to host a show, then you will have plenty of opportunities to get the 4 shows in,...........................also, I think the two show - four show thing came along when it was determined that corps everywhere else in the country would get looked at using DCA sheets,..............now that is progress, not enough for some I guess, but progress none the less,.........

Heh...border old ups. Gotta love how they wreck weekend schedules!

here is a funny side note on that Adam,.................a few years back we purchased a whole boatload of brand new, in the packages, mallets sticks and heads from the "Confiscated Items Store" of the customs office,..................items taken from a corps that was heading into Canada, that were declared as some sort of trying to get around paying the duty on the items,.................I was told the corps even offered to open all the packages and mark up the items so they wouldn't be new anymore.........................no deal,..............confiscated!

As I mentioned before, how long will it be before all DCA-Non-Norteastern Drum Corps come to the realization that having two DCA sanctioned shows on an idividual weekend will result in decreasing scores and the result will be to modify their behavior by having single show weekends planned.

But that's not the case. I started looking back for another weekend where the same corps competed twice on DCA sheets. The first one I found (Sacramento and Sunnyvale, July 14/15) had all three corps with scores rising over four points each. Based on that, everyone should want a two-show weekend. ^0^

You have a point about scores not being consistent. Yes, that needs to improve. At the same time, though, let's remember that they are just numbers, after all. Despite all DCA's efforts, they won't be perfectly comparable from show to show. Frankly, I'd prefer to see a little variance from honest judging, rather than push judges into slotting just so that scores will always increase from show to show.

If the various DCP poster's believe that it is too much of a financial burden to place on the Norteastern DCA Drum Corps for the expectation of travel to even one out of region DCA show, on a non-required basis (I.E. An Individual Drum Corps choice basis), then it is too much to expect for any DCA Drum Corps period (I.E. Rgular season show(s) or Championships)!!!

Maybe so. It's been a concern of mine. But look at how many corps have made that choice, even when local/regional options were available. Corps for corps, nearly every one of them has chosen to go the DCA route. The Midwestern corps even had their own circuit, and they let it go in favor of doing DCA-Central instead, and driving 20 hours to DCA Championships every year. Like I said before, no one is forcing anybody to attend DCA Championships.

The Kilties actually were scheduled for potentially Five (5) regular season DCA sanctioned shows as well as the DCA Championships in 2006. Two (2) Minnesota shows, Syracuse, DCI Midwest Championships (I.E. MBI, Kilties, and Chops were present but DCI would not meet the requirement of having DCA sheets used per the requirement of having at least Two (2) All Age Drum Corps participating in a DCI show), South Milwaukee, and DCA Championships.

But they did use DCA sheets in Indy.

My understanding is that only DCA events count toward the four shows, not DCI events at which DCA corps tag along. If DCI shows counted, all the Midwestern and Western corps would have the requisite four shows.

The other reality is that the various Minnesota DCA Drum Corps are not in need of additioanl travel to complete the required Four (4) DCA sanctioned shows for the following reasons:

1) MBI - Already guaranteed their actual seeded Pre-Lims spot based on their prior year 2005 Top Ten finish which additionally results in a automatic vote.

2) Govies & Chops - Their Class 'A' cometing classification as well as the fact that no Class 'A' DCA Pre-Lims Drum Corps has had a sufficient score in 2005 to crack the top 14 means that no Class 'A' DCA Drum Corps has any member status above them to prevent them from performing where their seeded position would dictate.

This seems like a pretty tenuous argument....

Nevertheless, one might suggest that if these same corps are traveling to Indianapolis for a non-DCA event, but unwilling to support a DCA event in Wisconsin, that some re-thinking of priorities is in order. I'd be in your corner on that.

If this is perceived as whining by some DCP poster's so be it. However, the Kilties have more than gone out of their way to meet the requirement by DCA to participate in Four (4) sanctioned shows in 2006. The Kilties will hopefully achieve this goal in their 2007 competitive season but there again is no guarantee when events unfold as such and are out of their control. The rekindling of the South Milwaukee show as well as possibly holding a dual sanctioned Kiltie Classic (I.E. DCI/DCA sheets) will go a long way in meeting this objective.

I hope so, but would suggest clarification on what constitutes a "DCA show".

Just to set the record straight, The Kilties official outlook has always been to go to any and every show possible, and do so within a "doable" budget without it being a financial and/or time burden on the membership week after week. If that means picking up extra parades, doing fundraisers, festival type appearences, etc. etc. to make it doable financially, then so be it. That is what is done.

The Kilties, as do most the "all age" Midwest corps, are a part of two associations; DCA (& DCA-C) and DCI-C. We try to play by the guidelines in a pristine manner of both these fine associations. We have to be selective as to where we travel (and when) in order to give our regional fans a chance to see us perform, and also those in other areas of the country. Formulating a schedule is not an easy task, as many know. As example, The Kilties could do multiple parades on the 4th of July, but rather do only one.........the Racine Fourthfest Parade, thus concentrating on our "hometown" ties.

This is about what each corps has to do to make their organization operate in a "member friendly and fiscally responsible" manner.

Scores from show to show, who did this, who did that, what DO they wear under those kilts b**bs, my Mom can beat up your Mom, is house-key better than multi-key, if The Kilties wore "kick-pleats" would they be called the "Kiltcachos", he writes potato/she writes potatoe, is it really greedy to take the last piece of pizza AND the last beer at a party, and what are the actual words to "Louie, Louie" are just a few of the goofy mysteries of life we'll all have to deal with on our own!! :blush:

NOW.........let's get back to the HEART OF THE SUBJECT!!! B)

I hope so, but would suggest clarification on what constitutes a "DCA show".

I don't know for sure, but I thought it had something to do with the selection of the judges (and not just which sheets were used)

My understanding is that only DCA events count toward the four shows, not DCI events at which DCA corps tag along.

Well here's hoping that M Brass, Kilties, Govies, Chops, Lakeshoremen can each hold a show next year. Then maybe all them could get together and sponsor a DCA Centeral Championship. With other centeral members like Frontier and Music City and others. That would give them 6 DCA contests before The World Championships,

Also with new Corps hopfully coming out this year in Cleveland, Kansas City, and Lexington, KY, this thread may become Old News.

Well here's hoping that M Brass, Kilties, Govies, Chops, Lakeshoremen can each hold a show next year. Then maybe all them could get together and sponsor a DCA Centeral Championship. With other centeral members like Frontier and Music City and others. That would give them 6 DCA contests before The World Championships,

Also with new Corps hopfully coming out this year in Cleveland, Kansas City, and Lexington, KY, this thread may become Old News.

Here Here

or is it hear hear?