The Titan Shows of DCI

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Blue Devils fan but a lot of times I don't see them to really level themselves with a lot of these other shows.

The shows we're talking about are shows that come off the field, leaving the green on fire.

If there's a top 3 that does this job more than any other year that I've watched, it's definitely 1993. They were in Division 0.5. Phantom Regiment, Star of Indiana, and The Cadets of Bergen County were absolute gods and devils on wheels.

:worthy: Dude, you have absolutely no validity in your discussion if that is true and drum corps, for you, isnt what drum corps is. Allowed to have opinions and likes and dislikes?? sure, but your statement about Blue Devils and your lack of including them says alot regarding your credibility.

If 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004 Blue Devils dont demonstrate the qualities needed to be labeled "Titan". opinion or not, you know nothing about drum corps and I no longer value your opinion...Ill fight for you to have one, but I dismiss it outright.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 83-85, 87

SCV 88-89

Phantom 89

Star 91, 93

Blue Devils 94

Cavaliers 95

Madison 95

Phantom 96

Cavaliers 2000

Cadets 2000

Cavaliers 2002

Cavaliers 2006

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Blue Devils fan but a lot of times I don't see them to really level themselves with a lot of these other shows.

The shows we're talking about are shows that come off the field, leaving the green on fire.

If there's a top 3 that does this job more than any other year that I've watched, it's definitely 1993. They were in Division 0.5. Phantom Regiment, Star of Indiana, and The Cadets of Bergen County were absolute gods and devils on wheels.

btw, fwiw, fyi, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003 Blue Devils came off the field leaving the green on fire...trust me.

~G~

Good topic.

In all honesty, I don't believe there are that many "titan" shows in DCI history. Maybe my definition is not the same as everyone else's...I feel a "titan" show is the show that should either spring immediately to your mind when you think about that particular year, or that particular corps. Or both in combination.

1987 Garfield Cadets is my first choice for "titan" status. It was one of the first DCI shows I ever heard, and to this day it brings back a ton of memories about the early incarnation of myself.

1986 Blue Devils. Out of order chronologically, but that is because I was introduced to this show later than 87 Gah-feeld. I wore out my VHS tape of the PBS broadcast. Sophistication and utter cool. This show made me want to march Blue Devils.

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard. To me, the vry definition of showmanship in a way that -regardless of the advances in show design- has not been touched to this day. Simple, yet elegant; powerful, yet subtle...it brought tears to my eyes, literally. Possibly my favourite SCV show.

1989 Phantom Regiment. One word: WOW. Power, precision, class, and a baritone line that made grown men weep softly.

1993 Star of Indiana. It pretty much ushered in a whole new era, and fairly speaks for itself.

Ok...now...I'm going to catch some grief here, but...I can't really think of one for the Cavaliers. I mean...there are tons of shows that I have really enjoyed over the years...loved 1988 and 1989, thought 1995 was fantastic, really enjoyed 2000 and 2001, and think 2004 is an underrated show, even though it won. But none of those strike me as "titanic," which basically means that the Cavaliers still have a "titanic" show up their sleeves that they will pull out any one of these years...

The closest I come for them is -and people will disagree- the 2000 show. For me, visually, it was more creatively written than the 2001-2003 shows (even though the drill may have been harder for those years). Musically speaking, in my opinion, it has more meat in it than any show since then. And the whole marriage of the visuals and the music do it for me...it's perhaps my favourite show from the Cavaliers...but I am not sure if I would call it "titanic" yet. I feel that the Cavaliers still have that one titanic show to do, and that it's coming soon. Feel free to disagree.

Also missing is the Madison Scouts (well, a host of others are missing, but oh well...) I feel the closest they came was that 1988 show, and it can be considered fairly titanic...but it was so danged dirty, I have trouble calling it titanic.

Oh well, it's all subjective opinion anyhow, and I doubt my list matches anyone else's.

How's everyone enjoying the offseason?

P.S. If there are any Georgia or Alabama high school kids on here who want to do the FSU Tri-State Honor Bands, tell your director to go to the website (http://www.music.fsu.edu/band-tristate.htm) and fill out the Nomination form. The printing department is taking extra long with the mailed-out brochure, and I want to make sure people are able to get their forms in on time.

Great post, I agree with you completely actually on everything you have said.

I feel a "titan" show is the show that should either spring immediately to your mind when you think about that particular year, or that particular corps. Or both in combination.
Deal with it.

It's cool man, I've dealt with it, it's just that by your own definition of what a "Titan" show is, saying you don't see The Cavaliers as having one doesn't make much sense.

When people think of 2002 (and to some degree 2000, 2004, and 2006, but 2002 is indisputable), almost everyone thinks of The Cavaliers . . . and when people think The Cavaliers, the vast majority of them think Frameworks. That's why it was the third top vote-getting show on the first classic countdown.

I'm just saying, by your own definition, it's pretty inconsistent. I would be lying if I didn't say I immediately thought of Phantom when I thought of 89 or 96, and vice versa.

To say that any corps who has multiple championships doesn't have a titan show just seems to be an outlandish claim. Kind of like how the first person left out The Blue Devils. Come on.

Some other examples, to me, of "titan" shows:

Cadets: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2001

Cavaliers: 1985, 1986, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005

Phantom Regiment: 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2005, 2006.

Madison Scouts: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1999.

Bluecoats: 1990, 1995, 2006

Blue Knights: 1991

Magic of Orlando: 1997

~G~

It's cool man, I've dealt with it, it's just that by your own definition of what a "Titan" show is, saying you don't see The Cavaliers as having one doesn't make much sense.

When people think of 2002 (and to some degree 2000, 2004, and 2006, but 2002 is indisputable), almost everyone thinks of The Cavaliers . . . and when people think The Cavaliers, the vast majority of them think Frameworks. That's why it was the third top vote-getting show on the first classic countdown.

I'm just saying, by your own definition, it's pretty inconsistent. I would be lying if I didn't say I immediately thought of Phantom when I thought of 89 or 96, and vice versa.

To say that any corps who has multiple championships doesn't have a titan show just seems to be an outlandish claim. Kind of like how the first person left out The Blue Devils. Come on.

:worthy:

opinion or not, you know nothing about drum corps

Hmmm yes indeed...What is this drum corps you speak of? But hey! I'll tell you something cool I do over the summer. I paid a few thousand dollars to run around grass and turf with whacky overalls and a feather on my head. Sounds pretty cool eh?

:worthy: Dude, you have absolutely no validity in your discussion if that is true and drum corps, for you, isnt what drum corps is. Allowed to have opinions and likes and dislikes?? sure, but your statement about Blue Devils and your lack of including them says alot regarding your credibility.

If 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004 Blue Devils dont demonstrate the qualities needed to be labeled "Titan". opinion or not, you know nothing about drum corps and I no longer value your opinion...Ill fight for you to have one, but I dismiss it outright.

~G~

Oh sir, I'm so truly sorry. My opinions are mine, and yours are yours. Oh.... let me apologize again...but I don't think you seem to realize that. According to you, I have no validity in my discussion that is true and that isn't what drum corps.

People perceive things differently. Whether you like it or not. I don't have to have a PhD in Drum Corps analysis to participate in a forum list game. You sound like as if I said god forbiddened blasphemy.

Stop using words like validity and credibility. Lighten Up.

Excellent post as usual Mr. Willis.

I truly love many of your choices.

Here are my thoughts for comparison.

Lineage 1:

1980 27 - George playing with some new ideas.

1983 Cadets - This for me is the one true "titan" show. It is the bedrock on which every show in the activity since is built.

1993 Star - Still challenges the audience 13 years later in a way that no other show does. Not possible though without '83 Cadets.

Lineage 2:

BD 1980 - for me the polish of this show at every point makes it the zenith of the old school style. It is the perfect representation of everything that drum corps tried to accomplish from 1972-1982. (I do think the horns were stronger here than in 79.) Interestingly many BD people will tell you that 82 would be their choice in this era.

Scouts 1975 - In much the same way that 83 Cadets begat 93 Star, this Scouts show opened the door for BD. The legacy of power left by this group still haunts the activity today.

One offs:

05 PR - If you read my review last year, you know how strongly I feel about this show. PR has shown the modern drum corps community the path to follow. You can play crowd pleasing music with a complete melodic line and still compete at the highest level in this activity.

I could easily agree with 80 Spirit. I was there as a competitor and saw it live. There are other shows that had a great impact on me as well.

78 Bridgemen and PR come to mind immediately but that is because they showed a drum corps rookie the awesome possibility that this activity holds.

Lastly, I would put up 92 Crossmen.

I can't think of another show in DCI history that is filled with such pure joy.

These lists are always fun, and I probably change my mind each time I do one. But heck, after a nice long day of school, this makes for some good fun.

Here are some shows that I truly feel are TITANIC. Not all of them have won, but they were exceptionally well performed, and they have stood the test of time.

1975 Madison Scouts - Big time presence, about as big as it gets in terms of reputation, and the performance was incredible.

1979 Blue Devils - One of the classic shows of all time, amazing solos, great charts, and one heck of a great brass line

1980 27th Lancers - This show will always stand out as a truly titanic show. It was perhaps their best show ever, the show almost won, and the design concepts were way ahead of their time.

1980 Spirit of Atlanta - although this show did not win, it tends to live on in the minds of many, the show is legendary for its powerful, powerful brass, and the charts were phenominal.

1984 Garfield Cadets - The best WSS ever, and perhaps one of the best Cadets ever. Classic in every way imaginable

1986 Blue Devils - Almost perfect performance levels, great solos, and what a drumline

1987 Garfield Cadets and SCV - Both of these shows deserve mention here, because both changed the activity big time. Both were performed very well, and both put the crowd on its feet BIG TIME!!! 1987 was truly the year of the BIG 2 and the little 10, and certainly no disrespect is meant. To this day these are two of the best shows ever.

1989 Phantom Regiment - The cleanest show I have ever seen in June. One of the best performances I have seen at finals. One of the most powerful horn lines, and never did I imagine that classical music could be this much fun on the field. Total Classic!

1993 Star of Indiana - Although you can easily nominate 1990 and 1991 Star, for me 1993 set drum corps on the path it is on today. The show is still legendary and will remain so for years to come. It may be the best singular show any of us have ever seen from all angles. We were challenged beyond what we thought was possible. While not classic drum corps, this show educated all of us, even if we denied that we received the education. The bottom line is that we did. And whether we liked this show or not, no person can deny its significance to what goes on today, to the new standards in horn performance, show design, body movement, and artistry in percussion writing.

Although Nick may not have nominated 1993 Phantom, I will. To me, Phantom 1993 was the most popular show of the summer of 1993. This show was downright magical on finals night, and the horn line was to die for. Although the show went through its stages during the season, come finals week this puppy was truly classic drum corps, and its status with many, many fans is certainly embedded in their minds as perhaps the best show of the summer (fully understanding that Star was not liked by many).

1994 Blue Devils - WOW, where to begin. A new look, new feel to the music, new style, and the same amazing Blue Devils polish. Perhaps their best show ever.

1995 Madison Scouts - A Classic drum corps show in all respects, and perhaps the MOST ENTERTAINING SHOW OF ALL TIME. It did not win, but 4th place is nothing to moan about. From start to finish, this show sells every little nuance, powerful hit, and visual impact like none other. The finals night performance will live in the minds of many for years to come...and then some. If you bury me with a CD of Madison 1995 I will be very happy in heaven. Amen!!!!

2000 Cadets - We Are The Future is not only one of those rare shows that sells in a flashy, yet musical way, the show had a spit and polish to it that helped the Cadets win their 8th title. From the show and tell to the very end, this show hits you over the head with power and excitement...and what a drumline!

2002 Cavaliers - In terms of the Cavies greats, for which there are many, this one stands out. 2002's Frameworks gives us the rare glimpse at one of the most effective and most demanding visual programs of all time, and all of this is strengthened by one of the most balanced and musical horn lines to hit the field in many years. Almost perfection at finals, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't bring up this show when top 10 lists are given for best shows of all time.

My final TITANIC show is: (at least for now)

2005 Phantom Regiment - Here we have a show that sells every nuance, it brings Gershwin to the field in a way never before seen, much more like a Broadway production, with brilliant choreography and play-acting that would make Steven Spielberg proud. The timing of everything in this show, the amazing arrangements, the great brass and drums, and the fact that this show was the undisputed fan favorite makes this Phantom production one of the Titanic shows of all time. Although many are still wowed by what Phantom did this past summer, as they should be, I do believe that this will be this show that stands the test of time while earning its place in legened and lore.

Jonathan