Marching Tympani

GuyW

I've said this before, but I enjoyed marching tymp back in the day... and my body shows no worse for wear from carrying those beasts.( so there Mike) I understand the reasoning for the pits, but, part of the experience for me was being part of the big picture on the field, not just being part of the music in a specific area. Tuning marching tymps for the weather conditions was no different than tuning concert tymp today... we had one person tune and mark the guage accordingly, and the music was designed so that you could crank up or down to your next pitch, with a second or two to double check your pitch. It wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

And, yes, I have played in the pit.

Edited by susantaylor40

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i havnt read and responses i just went straight to reply and im sure i'll be shot by the old guys, but my answer is... bc theyre stupid! i mean granted the guys who marched them were badasses, but theyre just goofy nowadays

WOW...almost a total dis! Poor Susan is in here all by herself getting ready to throw punches now. Some of the "guys" that carried them were GIRLS...

Marching tymps have just seen their day come and go...that's all. Not that they were "BAD" ... per say ... just that's what it was back in the day. Grounding was a no-no, except for the concert piece. (For you now-days kids..."concert" was the one piece in old corps shows where we stopped marching and just played parked in the middle of the field...usually a 3 or 3 1/2 minute piece...) Tympani were difficult instruments to play back then, and the line had to be solid. Give credit!!!

Listen to SCV 1978, or Phantom 1978... or Madison 1978, or Kingsmen 1972. Or wait to see the Kingsmen reunion corps next year. I'm sure it will be impressive!!

Edited by GGarrett

Anyone who thinks marching timpani sound better than concert timps is a)wrong, and b)lying to themselves and others. back away, and put the hand crank down.

That's BS,,,,they were concert tymps in the 60's and 70's. that's all that were made back then.same ones used in orchestras, not the choices they have these days.any corps could march there tymps today,,listen to some old drum corps!!!!!

Sorry, it's NOT BS. The very first REAL marching timpani (not the original Larry McCormick "flapjack timpani," which were essentially tuned transverse-mounted bass drums) were stripped down Ludwig Universal models at first, and also a model the name I forget, but they had hand cranks and still had the copper bowls, which were QUITE heavy. But soon they turned to special marching timpani made of fiberglass for easier lugging, with hand cranks. These drums could be any color, but most were painted to still look like copper. (Have you seen many concert timpani with hand cranks?) Slinglerland came out with a special version Fred Sanford had a hand in that utilized a shallower bowl for lighter weight and a large crossbrace across the top of the inside of the kettle with large holes in it for sound penetration, the brace needed to transfer the tuning from one side of the kettle to the other...the early heavier marching timpani relying on a spider-like mechanism that came up inside the kettle and ran to the tension rods around the perimeter. I remember this special Slingerland innovation because I was asked to critique it in the late 1970s. It didn't last too long, though, because the pit wasn't far off.

Edited by Michael Boo

Slinglerland came out with a special version Fred Sanford had a hand in that utilized a shallower bowl for lighter weight and a large crossbrace across the top of the inside of the kettle with large holes in it for sound penetration, the brace needed to transfer the tuning from one side of the kettle to the other...the early heavier marching timpani relying on a spider-like mechanism that came up inside the kettle and ran to the tension rods around the perimeter. I remember this special Slingerland innovation because I was asked to critique it in the late 1970s. It didn't last too long, though, because the pit wasn't far off.

KW Northstars bought the Slingerland tymps in 78, and they were, IMO, the most akward pieces of equiptment to march with. The cranks were at the sides of the shell, The tuning arms broke constantly, and the tripod legs were set up backwards, with the single leg protruding between your legs and not giving you anything to rest your drum on while carrying them ( not that we rested them often anyways).

From the Senior side Westshoremen had marching tymps when they reformed in 1974 and used the same set at least until 1979 season. I rode in the equipment truck as the Quartermaster lived close to my parents house. Pretty sure the tymps had the copper bottoms and had the worlds flimsiest compressed cardboard cases that were only good for keeping the tymp from getting scratched. Think after a few good rains the cases would have dissolved and towards the end of my time riding the truck the case handles were ready to pull out.

Can't remember when the corps went to over the shoulder plastic harnesses. Know origianly the tymps were carryied with a Marquis de Sade set up of belt like harnesses that cut into the skin if not set right (so I've heard). Also one of the bigger tymps had a leg (tripod set up) that kept falling out, could never tighten it enough for some reason.

From what I can tell, todays concert tymps sound better but the old ones projected the sound better.

Yeah, I played horn but my "payment" for a free ride on the truck was to help load after practice. :(

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

That's BS,,,,they were concert tymps in the 60's and 70's. that's all that were made back then.same ones used in orchestras, not the choices they have these days.any corps could march there tymps today,,listen to some old drum corps!!!!!

Hey while we're at it, why don't we strap 50 lb rocks to every brass player's bell, give them ankle weights, cuff their hands together, and make them march with their pants around their ankles??

...granted the guys who marched them were badasses, but theyre just goofy nowadays

I was a ######, however these days I'm goofy. :P

Many would agree, especially on the later point.

Marching tympani leads to brain damage, so watch out kids, stay away from marching tympani or else you will have to join a 12 step program.