1986 crossmen

alright, while i've been in the drum corps scene for about 10 years, my knowlege of the 80's is still very limited. I was checking out the 80's recaps and saw that crossmen won drums on prelims... while the full corps placed 21? I also noticed another year in the 80's that the blue coats won everything on prelims then didn't win a single caption on finals... was it the tick system? Was there some different way that they did finals week back then?

please, enlighten the ignorant... (this guy)

-christopher

Hmmmm...I'll bet you are talking late 80's which would have been after my ageout. This is pure speculation with no research but may guide you in the right direction.

I know that the Bluecoats were a div II corps in the early 80's, so that may explain their scenario. However, I have never heard that Crossmen left the div I ranks. Scoring in the different classes has a different set of criteria. Comparing a div II score to a div I is apples and oranges.

i don't really know either i was checking out www.fromthepressbox.com and saw the caption recaps. it just boggles my mind. it would be like pioneer winning drums (no offense, they have a great percussion program) but it's just very unlikely. i'm just confused as how a corps could sweep every caption, then not exist on finals.

-christopher

No research here either, but weren't prelims a seperate competition from quarter finals at the time. Otherwords, They might not have competed with corps that made finals on that particular day. I believe the top eight or so corps had their first appearence during quarter finals or semi finals and prelims had lower scoring corps meeting up first. Again, I am not sure but I think this is the case.

The Crossmen had a great drumline in 1986, and if memory serves every year the Crossmen were out of finals they had decent drumlines. I don't think, however, that they won prelims. Maybe this was when the top 12 corps didn't compete in prelims or the scores weren't recorded for some reason since the corps were moving on. I can see this drumline placing around 12th or higher had the corps made finals.

1986 from memory: 7 snares, 6 tenors, 6 basses, 4 cymbals plus Pit. The line was full but the corps had a heck of time getting horns that year and came close to folding. I can't find the info, but the corps had around 7 horns in May and were told they needed more or they would fold. The membership came through and rallied the troops.

1986 drumsolo was "Street Dancing", if you can find a copy of it listen with a smile on your face. One of the lost gems IMO.

Link to Historical Archives on crossmenalumni.net. Props to Gary for the webpages!

Boots!

You have to remember that the top 12 from the previous year did not compete in prelims. So my guess is that this was 87 the year Blue first jumped into finals. They would have done real well at prelims with the corps ranked ahead of them not there.

1986 drumsolo was "Street Dancing", if you can find a copy of it listen with a smile on your face. One of the lost gems IMO.

Just my opinion, I'd say "Street Dancing" is one of the top five all-time (if not the greatest) drum solos. It is a masterpiece.

I have a copy on cassette tape that is 16 years old and I really need to convert it over to disc before I lose it. There is a member on here that I know most likely has a better copy. The title of this thread oughta lure him in. :) He's the one who gave it to me.

I think that the seperate quarterfinals thing is the right answer, where the top corps weren't competing with the corps hoping to make the jump into finals.

at some point around then, I think a few years earlier…they had the top snare drummer in the nation, some kid (was Robbie his name?) that grew up in the corp…his dad was very involved with the corp too….anyway, he brought up the performance level of the entire drum line…I believe he jumped to blue devil for his age out year …its all so fuzzy now, that was 25 years ago