San Antonio Crossmen

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I first read the e-mail, I’ve been trying to figure out my exact feelings about the move. I didn’t live near the corps growing up and I’m still not in the alphabet soup (NJ/PA/DE) from where the Crossmen have hailed for the past 30 years, and their ancestor corps for even longer. But in my years with the Crossmen, I’ve come to love the area and even thought about moving there to be closer to the alumni base. I’d still like to live there because it’s the place where my fondest memories of marching took place.

To the alumni who mourn the loss of a hometown corps that binds community kids together, I’ve spent the last week reading what you had to say and I admit, I’m sad about it too. But the corps will still have that ability to unite people. It’s not just because all the kids are from the same place anymore and it hasn’t been that way for years. It’s now also about the community within the corps--the one that is symbolized by the cross over the heart that was worn last summer by every member, down to the colorguard.

When I heard that a change was coming, I was terrified. I feared a change in competitive or DCI status, or a financial reckoning that would leave the Crossmen for dead. I agree completely with Taylor’s post: if the corps were to die, my heart would go with it. This move gives me hope.

I am acting on this hope. This week I am starting a new line in my budget titled “Bones.” I want to buy at least one plane ticket for at least one deserving vet, whether they’re from the Northeast or Florida or Europe. I would be proud to help them continue the tradition of the corps that has never been a part of my neighborhood and will always be a part of my life.

When all else is gone, it’s the Bones that remain.

:lol: Well said! And thank you for helping!

It is a much longer drive than that on a Friday afternoon, and more often than not a Sunday afternoon home. Leaving nova at 3 PM produced many 9:20 PM arrivals. I could leave at 7 and basically get there at the same time. That was to Newark, mind you...not Philly.

On a side note that about 3% of the forum will get, I had a dream this afternoon that Harrold de Raad did history night in chaps and a cowboy hat. I've been to almost every state, but for some reason when I think of the Crossmen in Texas I think everyone there has a spitoon and six shooter. Maybe this move will help me remember more than the Alamo.

:P

Consider me in the 3%. I can picture him now with his snaggly tooth and his lispy accent sauntering around like John Wayne. Unfortunately, konowing Harold, I have trouble picturing him in any kind of chaps that would cover his behind.

I also think this is off base. DCI did not kill the neighborhood corps, public music education did. The free education of all in this country in the form of public music education (or at least with most schools) has taken the need for small, neighborhood corps and replaced that with local marching bands and all kinds of state-sponsored, local, and regional band competition circuits.

That would have made a nice theory - if public school music programs hadn't been invented until 1972. But alas, scholastic music arrived long before.

That would have made a nice theory - if public school music programs hadn't been invented until 1972. But alas, scholastic music arrived long before.

And how did public school programs hit the Senior corps world the same way the Junior corps were affected? Both Jr/Sr went downhill during the same time period.

(Still holding on to my theory of sponsors with shrinking income and exploding costs as main reason for the decline.)

And how did public school programs hit the Senior corps world the same way the Junior corps were affected? Both Jr/Sr went downhill during the same time period.

(Still holding on to my theory of sponsors with shrinking income and exploding costs as main reason for the decline.)

I think someone also mentioned shrinking population base, which is legitimate. But I still think DCI by setting up extensive touring schedulings requiring tons of money as part of the cause of smaller corps not being able to keep up.

When I was in juniors, in the '60's and early'70's we maybe made one or two long treks and that was it. Typically, I think the top 12 of VFW corps stayed mostly in their own areas until the championship and in the meantime competed locally where possible. I know Troopers had it rough there, (maybe that's why Jones was one of the founders, of DCI. He was, wasn't he?)

In the meantime, these big guys would kick butt everytime they went up against most local corps, but it gave the local corps a thrill to try and compete and to be on the same field with Sac, St. Lucy's, etc.,(not so much Blue Rock - I kid, I kid). A couple of times 1969 VFW's were mentioned on this thread. If you were there, remember the color presentations and the goose bumps? Remember Kilties exit echoing backfield off those huge JFK stadium walls. Awesome.

DCI isn't evil and in many ways it bought to life some of the most amazing drum corps moments that otherwise would not have happened. But it, drum and bugle corps, is no longer a unique activity. It's essentially...band, the thing we used to hate,(figuratively)

The VFW (alright, the American Legion, too), and the local aspect made it special and apart from high school bands.

(Just as aside; how many of you remember guys joining from bands in those days and trying to get them not to prance step?)

I don't mean to get people angry by saying these things. It's just part of how I see things and in the end it really doesn't matter. What's done is done. I just can't look at a corps now a days and get excited. Part of that is there are no drum and bugle corps anymore and part of it is just getting old.

That in mind, I must say that the kids that do compete are every bit as good and every bit as worthy of respect that any of us were or are. The shows are incredible, the people that write them are insane, and somehow it works. But...the old way was better.

But...the old way was better.

In your opinion of course.

for crossmen or reagan?
I think the answer is....Yes. :)

Nice one Mike. I spoke to Carol earlier today about it, and we had a nice semi-long conversation on the subject. She said that she and Aaron would would do what they could for Crossmen, and they have both been helping at Reagan for years. So, to answer the question, just look at Mike's answer...and what will come for the XMen will come and we'll meet it when it does. I'm actually looking forward to Thanksgiving weekend myself. As to the vets that haven't aged out yet, if you really want to do it, you can find a way to do it. You'll find some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet in this state, and many of them are very generous with what they have. And the more people you ask to help, the better chance you have of doing it. I myself am willing to financially help with what I can for you who wish to continue with your Bones tradition.