San Antonio Crossmen

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think YEA! would place them in less than the best hands possible? The seems ridiculous to me.

Great question... I'm scratching my head with the implications that YEA! didn't select the best possible alternative that was presented. I can hardly believe this will greatly improve YEA's financial situation, except to the extent Crossmen were allegedly a cash drain on the organization. I simply can't see YEA! and, more specifically, Hopkins overlooking better opportunities, regardless where they were in the country. I can believe there might have been opportunities that were closer than TX, but better more viable opportunities for Crossmen as an organization? I too think this sounds ridiculous. It'd be great to think there was a high interest level in Crossmen, but frankly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of organizations out there these days that will even provide financial support for a drum corps let alone engage in aggressive negotiations to take over the rights to fully-fund and field a corps.

I do not think this is correct. With YEA, donations made to the Cadets stayed with the Cadets; donations made to the Crossmen stayed with the Crossmen. In addition, YEA fundraising/grants funded both corps. Does anyone know for a fact that this is NOT the case?

The problem, though, is that your perception has been shared by many others - especially Crossmen alumni and fans, who would not write a check for the Crossmen and mail it to the YEA office for fear that it would be paying for rabbit suits and pink tables. (joking!)

YEA and George Hopkins threw a lifejacket to the Crossmen in 1995-6 and saved the corps from folding. But that transition cast off many long-time supporters, alumni, and friends in the process. In the short term it kept Bones afloat and even strong on the field for a while. But in recent years, the connection to YEA has become a liability for the Crossmen - the lifejacket is preventing them from swimming on their own in the D1 pool. Clearly, the connection has also been a strain on YEA, as the Crossmen side of operations simply has not been bringing in enough money to pay for itself. But... my point above may explain why fund-raising has an inherent problem. BOTTOM LINE: TWO D1 CORPS UNDER ONE ROOF IS NOT A GOOD ORGANIZATIONAL MODEL. Crossmen need to be an independent organization, and the TX home may do that. Were there other choices closer to their homebase of PA? I and many other would like to hear more.

Report card:

The efforts of YEA to help the Crossmen during the past decade: A-

The planned split of Crossmen from YEA: A+

The move to Texas: incomplete

as has been stated here many times, yes there was a group in VA that was inerested. VA is 2 hours from Philly

Except they were drowning in debt BEFORE YEA! took them in, so how do you KNOW the souvie sales were hurt? Any evidence to back that up at all?

Mike a simple fact is if you aren't top 6, which Crossmen perenially weren't, sales wont be that high. kids today look at winners, not cool tshirts.

i'd guarantee Cadets outsold Crossmen on a nightly basis because of status.

None of us here has any idea the capability of any of the groups supposedly in the mix to take the Crossmen. Why do you think YEA! would place them in less than the best hands possible? The seems ridiculous to me.

well i dont suppose to know what was in george's mind, but let's be honest...moving them to Texas means less competition for kids. the cadets own the NE now

Way too many woodwinds.... No ####!

Look what I said, TALENT, they had more than a lot of corps.

What do you mean by that? If they aren't playing the same instruments, this talent is very hard to compare, isn't it? Sounds like an apples to oranges comparison you are trying to make.

Southwind had a much more demanding visual program, IMO, and a much more exciting show. So, if you meant they may beat a few corps at Quarterfinals, then I am willing to say that MIGHT happen. No way they have enough demand to even make it to Semifinals. So, there can't be a lot of Division I corps that they would actually beat.

Edited by Tekneek

While I see your concern regarding the Crossmen's move to Texas....I could have done without the "falling asleep" comment about the Ronald Reagan shows. Yes, Mark Chambers is the corps directors of the Crossmen but don't automatically assume that he will turn it into his high school marching band. The students and staff work their tails off on their productions. I hope they don't come on DCP and read stuff like this. Also, running a high school band program is much more than marching band.

"Falling asleep" during the videos doesn't mean the kids/staff don't work hard on those programs. It just means they aren't that exciting or entertaining. I've watched a handful since yesterday morning and they do appear to be a possible cure for insomnia.

I won't presume they were passing judgment on the entertainment aspect of the shows, but for me it was all about the lack of entertainment. While that may have been a terrific high school show (I'm out of touch with that), I cannot believe people are seriously suggesting that they would "beat a LOT of drum corps" with that show.

Edited by Tekneek

"Falling asleep" during the videos doesn't mean the kids/staff don't work hard on those programs. It just means they aren't that exciting or entertaining. I've watched a handful since yesterday morning and they do appear to be a possible cure for insomnia.

I won't presume they were passing judgment on the entertainment aspect of the shows, but for me it was all about the lack of entertainment. While that may have been a terrific high school show (I'm out of touch with that), I cannot believe people are seriously suggesting that they would "beat a LOT of drum corps" with that show.

I respect your opinion but we're going to have to disagree on this one.

It's just that Ronald Reagan's 2005 show is very dear to me. After watching the band perform at the Bands of America San Antonio, TX Super Regional Championships last November, I looked up at the Alamodome roof, thanked god for what I just heard and literally had to fight back the tears. They gave me a moment that I will remember for the rest of my life. Everything from the ballad to the end was just....beautiful. The music (the backfield playing to the climax of the "Prime Minister's Love Theme" from Love Actually to the ending chord) and the emotion that was pouring out of the kids as they were performing.....sends chills up and down my spine like no other.

It was just one of those shows for me.

Sorry for the ramble....

as has been stated here many times, yes there was a group in VA that was inerested. VA is 2 hours from Philly

I'm asking becuase I don't know and not to make a point.

Not knowing whether YEA! wanted to retire or transfer any X-men related debt as a result of transaction and assuming that YEA! acted for financial as well as organizational reasons, any idea about the depths of the VA group's pockets relative to the RR contingent?