New Column - Inside the Arc

JohnD

He clearly states what he thinks and always has . Agree or disagree his past and present has plenty of backing. I took from the article that melody is missing and i agree in general with Frank. Quincey Jones had a comment about lack of melody a few years ago that i agreed with also. I have never met anyone more open than Frank and i enjoyed the article greatly for his insight.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I stand corrected...now it makes even more sense.

Regardless, we'll never solve this one to anyones benefit...I just suggested the rebuttal as a way to make this more of an academic exercise than what will inevitably become 20+ pages of "Yeah, but melodious etude #4/great modern wind ensemble piece/craptastic Band Today Part I with written recorder solo for Timmy Tooter/Saucedo rocks/Saucedo sucks argument here."

Quite right. It would have helped if Frank, in addition to the pieces that he remembers fondly, had listed some of the corps that played non-melodic training music that doesn't appeal to fans. That would have narrowed it down a lot more.

And your "Yeah, but melodious etude #4/great modern wind ensemble piece/craptastic Band Today Part I with written recorder solo for Timmy Tooter/Saucedo rocks/Saucedo sucks argument" thing is exactly what I was talking about. People will like it or not based on 100% individual criteria. It's completely subjective, and Frank's entitled to his opinion. It invites dialogue, and here it is. :) And to be clear, even though I don't agree with many of the opinions in the editorial, I really appreciate the viewpoint and I'm thankful to have yet another great writer taking part on the site.

The following is personal opinion. I recognize there may be valid arguments from the other side of the aisle.

This very important to remember. He stated an opinion. Not the Gospel Truth.

I took his article as a statement against the "follow-the-leader" mentality of some of the drum corps staffs. And I whole-heartedly agreed with him. If corps A is successful playing a specific type of wind-ensemble music, it is an almost sure guarantee that there will be 5-6 corps doing something similar the next year.

After sitting in the stands at the Atlanta Regional and hearing corps after corps playing wind ensemble music, I was down right estatic when the Crossmen took the field. It does get tiring after a while, especially when some corps are unable to pull it off.

Don't get me wrong, there are some pieces out there that blow me away, but since this is a competitive activity, there are more than a few corps out there that could stand to take a hard look at their programming choices and try something different.

And this, of course, is just my opinion.

I took his article as a statement against the "follow-the-leader" mentality of some of the drum corps staffs. And I whole-heartedly agreed with him. If corps A is successful playing a specific type of wind-ensemble music, it is an almost sure guarantee that there will be 5-6 corps doing something similar the next year.

Unfortunatly, you're right. It didn't used to be that way. Every corps had an identity, and ironically, it was the corps that spawned this pattern that prided itself on reinventing it's identity every year. I call it the "Star of Indiana Effect". Star's success in the 90's spawned a host of imitators (none of which ever had the creativity or success Star had).

Unfortunalty, we're still playing for that in some marching band circuits, as many bands succumbed to the Star Effect.

Even more recently we're seeing a "Cavies Effect" with corps and bands playing original music set to visual ideas, some creative, some not so much. None of them are going to achieve the success Cavies have (and I don't mean titles), just like Cavies musically haven't achieved the musical level the ORIGINAL all-original program did (though some may argue that, I bet there are more folks that can sing those melodies off the top of thier head than anything Cavies have done).

That too has filtered down to the world of bands...but at least those bands are trying to entertain, unlike many bands that claim "wind ensemble" as thier niche.

Again, my comments shouldn't be taken as a rip on Star of Cavies...just thier imitators...

Edited by Kamarag

I'd like to suggest that you take a moment to visit the inaugural issue from our newest columnist on DCP - Frank Dorritie. In this thought provoking column - Frank discusses "Why You Hate the Music" ......

You'll find the article on the front page of DCP

After reading it - feel free to discuss here.

Enjoy!

-john

As much as FD is 'the man' to me...he was my corps brass arranger and instructor in 71...we had dinner a few years back in San Fran when I was on a business trip...I tend to disagree with him on some of the points he made...

For example...

The "in vogue" playlist for bands and corps is replete with contemporary wind band literature. This is the kind of music that is written to teach students how to master their instruments. Consequently, it is ubiquitous in college programs that train both performers and teachers. It's purpose is utilitarian and analytical...

I highly doubt Eric Whitacre, for example, is thinking to himself that what he is writing is great for teaching but lousy as 'music' in general. He, and others, write what they are feeling inside, as all serious composers do. Their use of melody and harmony is influenced by the people they learn from...who are from the more contemporary era of composition, hence it doesn't all sound like 18th-19th century symphonic literature.

BTW...some modern wind band music is also orchestral music...Two of the pieces we are doing with the MB I arrange for got their start as orchestra pieces that the composers redid for band, Galbraith's "Danza de los Duendes" and Bolcom's "Machine".

Tritones, dissonance clusters, syncopated staccato fff stabs...all are difficult to play and worthy of credit when performed well. And they can be quite effective. (Ask Messrs. Berlioz, Stravinsky...etc.) They can also be annoying and painfully boring when they are the only tricks your pony knows.

Does some modern music sound like that? Sure. How many lower level composers were there in the 18th century that we have never heard of today, as their music faded into obscurity? There just are not that many Mozarts and Haydns out there. To compare modern literature that has not been given the test of time to the masters is hardly a fair comparison, IMO.

As for melody...there are melodies...just not 19th century melodies.

...not the communication of emotion. Much of it is self-absorbed musical navel-gazing.

Hmmm....I just arranged Whitacre's "October" for the MB I work with...I totally disagree with that.

Alfred Reed's "Russian Christmas Music" is not emotional?

Last year I arranged "Ghost Train" for the band...a lot of varied emotions there.

Robt W. Smith's "Inchon" is a highly emotional work I would love to put on the field.

There are all sorts of great wind band pieces that are both technically challenging and emotional, as well as highly entertaining.

Sparke's "Year of the Dragon" and "Celebration" come to mind...as does some of Holsingers' stuff.

Nothing wrong with "Till There Was You" and Pachelbel's Canon...both are beautiful works.

However, there is also nothing wrong with doing modern wind band music.

BTW...take a look at corpsreps at this year's div I finalists...how much wind band music IS there, really?

Absolutely brilliant, and 100% on the money.

When someone like Frank talks, all DCI program coordinators should drop what they are doing and listen.

Why?

As much as I admire Frank and all he has done...and for the person he is...I want every program coordinator to create what he or she thinks is best. I don't want anyone to follow down someone elses road.

Does anyone else find it odd that such a great internet hub for the activity would post an article on the front page titled "Why You Hate the Music"? My degree wasn't in marketing, but I can imagine that that's probably not much of a pitch to someone interested in the activity.

I would also like to second what Lance said previously, I would be interested in hearing exactly what shows Mr. Dorritie has in mind. I've heard these complaints about Cavaliers, but he specifically exludes Saucedo as someone who has been sucessful with original music. Is drum corps truly that angst-ridden? Scroll through the list of Division I, and how many shows do you find that really fit that description? Blue Knights of course, but then even they used music by an established and famous composer. Colts and Capital Regiment are the only corps that stand out as having played wind ensemble music, and were they really that hard to enjoy? Angst-ridden they were not, and there was plenty of melody. I'm really not sure which shows Mr. Dorritie was trying to name with this article.

Does anyone else find it odd that such a great internet hub for the activity would post an article on the front page titled "Why You Hate the Music"? My degree wasn't in marketing, but I can imagine that that's probably not much of a pitch to someone interested in the activity.

I would also like to second what Lance said previously, I would be interested in hearing exactly what shows Mr. Dorritie has in mind. I've heard these complaints about Cavaliers, but he specifically exludes Saucedo as someone who has been sucessful with original music. Is drum corps truly that angst-ridden? Scroll through the list of Division I, and how many shows do you find that really fit that description? Blue Knights of course, but then even they used music by an established and famous composer. Colts and Capital Regiment are the only corps that stand out as having played wind ensemble music, and were they really that hard to enjoy? Angst-ridden they were not, and there was plenty of melody. I'm really not sure which shows Mr. Dorritie was trying to name with this article.

I read between the lines, too. That was a programming slam against BK. It sure read as intentional to me. If he wants to say that melodies are like the NBA's mid-range jumper; a lost art that is appreciated when a few are good at it, fine. But don't pick on corps. That's low, unnecessary, and sadly discredits the intended argument.

Consider the point to obvious absurdity -- everyone has a melody. You still walk away from a show whistling one or two, but you get less emotional impact. For all the points made in the article, he misses one by a mile. That thinly veiled reference to the BK show pissing him off was, indeed, effective. It ###### him off. Whether he feels happy or not is immaterial; he proved that he was emotionally moved. Isn't that the point?

You don't have to go home whistling Andy Griffith to have had a well programmed show...

That thinly veiled reference to the BK show pissing him off was, indeed, effective. It ###### him off. Whether he feels happy or not is immaterial; he proved that he was emotionally moved. Isn't that the point?

Indeed. Not every show should make you happy. The show that pisses you off is just as effective and emotional as the show that brings tears to your eyes.