Marching to Military

dlp40

Marching Drum Corps to Military Service  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What Military service did you join?

• Air Force
    • Army
    • Navy
    • Marine Corps
    • Coast Guard
  2. 2. Did you find your DC experience helped you in the Military?

• Yes, a lot
    • Yes, a little
    • Not at all
  3. 3. Did you follow DC while in the Military?

• Yes, on TV
    • Yes, went to shows
    • Yes, found a corps to march in
    • Yes, taught or judged
    • Yes, played in a military corps/band
    • Yes, listened to recordings
    • Yes, watched videos
    • Yes, on internet forums
    • No
    • Other

Thought this would be interesting info to gather. Based on my own life and loves, I made the leap and managed to keep DC part of my military life. It can be done. Semper Fi, Go Navy!

Yeah, I think it helped a little. Not too much. The way the military is structured is slightly similar to drum corps. Actually, I wish the military was more like drum corps.

Hmmm, lets see...5years in junior corps...22 years in the military (Navy, Air Force, and Army)...and 3 years (so far) in Senior corps.

Actually marching drum corps helped a lot. (Except I really didn't like having to spend 30 minutes trying to teach this one guy the first count of "right face".)

Hmm...

Drum corps helped me with pushups when I first joined the army.

I enlisted in the first Avenger Crewmember class the army had and graduated third--after almost not graduating high school and dropping out of college. So it guess drum corps also taught me self discipline.

I "marched like a nazi" according to a couple of drill sergeants. I guess that's good. :P

After being in the army for almost 5 years at the time and not playing my trumpet for almost 5 years, I auditioned for the 101st Airborne Band and was hired as an OJT (on-the-job-trainee). Eventually passing the person who auditioned me and a couple of School of Music graduates. I also made the jazz stage band while I was there--beating out other School of Music graduates.

While in the 101st Band, I got to hang out with other members who marched Cadets, Crossmen, and others. One person being Joe Roche who marched 83 Cadets (I think). I can't remember the rest right now.

I went to a couple of drum corps shows in Texas in 93 and 94. I watched the SkyRyders practice in Killeen. I got to hang out with my friends in the Freelancers at the Richardson, Texas show in 93.

I listened to a bootleg cassette copy of the 91 top twelve in Kuwait in 92 to keep me sane.

Yeah--drum corps helped me a little.

Marched Div I,

Have spent 18 1/2 years in the AF so far (currently in Afghanistan).

During my time in the service, I:

Have teched marching band (never, ever again, yikes!),

Have taught Div III,

Have administered Div II,

Have founded/directed a winter drumline,

Am now administering a new all-age corps,

And will do all that and more in the future!

All that with a wife, 2 sons, 2 dogs, 3 cats, a mortgage, and a Harley. Oh, and putting myself through school somewhere in there. WOO HOO!

Yes, drum corps helped a little. Mostly, it taught me to look past adversity and spin any situation to my advantage. ^0^

That and, by reading above, it made me a bit of an over-achiever! LOL

I've done a number of Fanfare columns about drum corps alumni and the military...what drum corps meant to them, how it kept them sane, drum corps parties in a war zone, etc. I'd love to hear from any of you for future such columns on DCI.org. Feel free to send your stories to boomike@dci.org.

The one thing I've kept hearing consistently is that after drum corps, boot camp was a snap, especially if one entered right after tour.

Thank you to all of you for your sacrifice and service.

I joined the Naval Reserve after my second year at the Bluecoats. I actually scheduled boot camp for the off season so I wouldn't miss a summer. I then returned and marched my last 3 years. I switched from the Naval Reserve to the Army National Guard in 95.

Since 2001 I've seen many new and exciting places.

I get to go back overseas, to Afghanistan this time, next year. I will most likely be serving as an Embedded Tactical Trainer for the Afghan Army.

As far as D&B Corps with boot, it was too darn easy. The discipline and attention to detail that I learned in the 'Coats made parts of boot camp enjoyable. Mainly because I wasn't receiving any extra attention from those loud guys in the funny hats.

-T.

Drum corps definatelty helped me with getting through basic training. The self discipline that came while being in corps made basic a snap. Even my TI came up to me after the first day or so and asked me how i knew how to march........Drum corps sir!!! :)