1972 DCI Championships!

Hey Joe.........hope all is well and thanks for this post. Brought back a lot of memories.........for you too I suppose. Too bad the Flexies were dead and the kitty was red...........

PS I gave Harry a bunch of home show program books I had collected........needed safe keeping after 35 years

Advertising for the 1972 DCI Championships

PRELIMINARIES: Realizing the critical nature of this prelim show, the International Board of Directors have voted to run the event with the complete 11-13 minute drill time for each corps. This will now make a three day prelim event a necessity.

LOCATION FOR ALL EVENTS: The Warhawk Stadium, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater.

ENTRY FEE: $25.00 cheque made payable to Drum Corps International

PRIZE AWARDS: $22,500 total with $4,000 - first, $3500 - second, $3000 - third, $2500 - fourth, $2000 - fifth, $1500 - sixth, $1000 - seventh to twelfth.

QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: No parade. No inspection. No sponsorship flag required.

PRELIM TICKETS: These tickets are $2.00 each seat and will be sold only at the gate on the days of these events.

GENERAL ADMISSION FOR FINALS: The general admission tickets for the night finals of August 18th are $3.00 each and are sold the evening of the contest at the gate only. All General Admission tickets are for seats opposite side of concert side. The corps who do not make finals may purchase these tickets for $2.00 each.

NIGHT FINAL RESERVED SEATS: Each seat is individually numbered and reserved. Tickets are $6.00 (sections inside the 40 yard line), $5.00 (inside the 30 yard line), and $4.00 (inside the 20 yard line).

Corps Order of Appearance (as of March 21, 1972)

1. Kilties

2. Imperials of St Patrick

3. Guardsmen

4. Mariners

5. Racine Explorers

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Imperials

8. St. Andrews Bridgemen

9. Long Island Kingsmen

10. Imperials of Seattle

11. Vanguard of Des Plaines

12. Audubon Bon Bons

13. Optimists

14. Americanos

15. Mounties

16. Black Knights

17. Thunderbolts

18. Marion Cadets

19. Knights of Kewannee

20. Police Commodores

21. 32nd Hussars

22. St. Francis Xavier Sancians

23. Marauders

24. Buccanneers

25. Silver Sabres

26. St. Paul Explorer Scouts

27. Queen City Cadets

28. Kingsmen of Anaheim

29. Blue Rock

30. Argonne Rebels

31. Cadets of Garfield

32. Scouts of Madison

33. Troopers

34. De La Salle Oaklands

35. 27th Lancers

36. Vanguard of Santa Clara

37. Cavaliers

38. Crusaders

39. 1st Federal Blue Stars

40. Golden Knights

41. Frontiersmen

42. Imperials

43. Cardinals

44. Blue Raeders

45. Sky Ryders

46. Percussion-naut Patriots

47. Marauders

48. Princemen

49. Appleknockers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe Blue rock came to DCI the first year. And it's a shame because they had a really strong show and were top 3/4 all year. In 1973 they suffered the tour from #### to Cali which started the downfall of the corps.

I may be wrong about dates.

You are right Blue Rock did not come to the first DCI why I do not know they were still scoring well in the big shows. They might have mad finals but we were beating them back in Jersey in August but they beat us big time at CYO's so who knows. They started droping in 72 and never recovered I did love there 73 Tommy by the Who and 74 Shows great stuff.

You are right Blue Rock did not come to the first DCI why I do not know they were still scoring well in the big shows. They might have mad finals but we were beating them back in Jersey in August but they beat us big time at CYO's so who knows. They started droping in 72 and never recovered I did love there 73 Tommy by the Who and 74 Shows great stuff.

And in 1975 both Blue Rock and Blessed Sac tried the Senior side of things and then *poof* :(

Blue Rock was one of the few corps we beat that year (never got close to Sac)......

Of those corps listed as original entrants, quite a few didn't show up at that first DCI Championship.

Besides Blue Rock, these corps weren't there:

Seattle Imperials

Racine Scouts

Bon Bons

Optimists

Americanos

Mounties

Marion Cadets

Marauders

St. Paul Scouts

Buccaneers

Silver Sabres

Appleknockers

Princemen

Cardinals

Golden Knights

Did you notice that there was no specific order? I think it should be that way for all shows. To many times I feel that judges already know that the corps at the end of the show are the best. Draw for position!!!

Advertising for the 1972 DCI Championships

PRELIMINARIES: Realizing the critical nature of this prelim show, the International Board of Directors have voted to run the event with the complete 11-13 minute drill time for each corps. This will now make a three day prelim event a necessity.

LOCATION FOR ALL EVENTS: The Warhawk Stadium, University of Wisconsin, Whitewater.

ENTRY FEE: $25.00 cheque made payable to Drum Corps International

PRIZE AWARDS: $22,500 total with $4,000 - first, $3500 - second, $3000 - third, $2500 - fourth, $2000 - fifth, $1500 - sixth, $1000 - seventh to twelfth.

QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: No parade. No inspection. No sponsorship flag required.

PRELIM TICKETS: These tickets are $2.00 each seat and will be sold only at the gate on the days of these events.

GENERAL ADMISSION FOR FINALS: The general admission tickets for the night finals of August 18th are $3.00 each and are sold the evening of the contest at the gate only. All General Admission tickets are for seats opposite side of concert side. The corps who do not make finals may purchase these tickets for $2.00 each.

NIGHT FINAL RESERVED SEATS: Each seat is individually numbered and reserved. Tickets are $6.00 (sections inside the 40 yard line), $5.00 (inside the 30 yard line), and $4.00 (inside the 20 yard line).

Corps Order of Appearance (as of March 21, 1972)

1. Kilties

2. Imperials of St Patrick

3. Guardsmen

4. Mariners

5. Racine Explorers

6. Phantom Regiment

7. Imperials

8. St. Andrews Bridgemen

9. Long Island Kingsmen

10. Imperials of Seattle

11. Vanguard of Des Plaines

12. Audubon Bon Bons

13. Optimists

14. Americanos

15. Mounties

16. Black Knights

17. Thunderbolts

18. Marion Cadets

19. Knights of Kewannee

20. Police Commodores

21. 32nd Hussars

22. St. Francis Xavier Sancians

23. Marauders

24. Buccanneers

25. Silver Sabres

26. St. Paul Explorer Scouts

27. Queen City Cadets

28. Kingsmen of Anaheim

29. Blue Rock

30. Argonne Rebels

31. Cadets of Garfield

32. Scouts of Madison

33. Troopers

34. De La Salle Oaklands

35. 27th Lancers

36. Vanguard of Santa Clara

37. Cavaliers

38. Crusaders

39. 1st Federal Blue Stars

40. Golden Knights

41. Frontiersmen

42. Imperials

43. Cardinals

44. Blue Raeders

45. Sky Ryders

46. Percussion-naut Patriots

47. Marauders

48. Princemen

49. Appleknockers

Did you notice that there was no specific order? I think it should be that way for all shows. To many times I feel that judges already know that the corps at the end of the show are the best. Draw for position!!!

If I remember right, the order was the reverse of the postmark on the corps' entry application. I also remember that my corps was one of the only non-finalist type eastern corps to actually get to the show. Staying in the dorms and performing at Warhawk were an awesome change from the previous years at Nationals.

Of those corps listed as original entrants, quite a few didn't show up at that first DCI Championship.

Besides Blue Rock, these corps weren't there:

Seattle Imperials

Racine Scouts

Bon Bons

Optimists

Americanos

Mounties

Marion Cadets

Marauders

St. Paul Scouts

Buccaneers

Silver Sabres

Appleknockers

Princemen

Cardinals

Golden Knights

And also, the Crusaders (i.e. Boston) did not attend.

Money was an issue for Blue Rock in 1972 .... found out at the US Open Nationals (week before DCI) that we weren't going. After not being able to attend due to financial constraints, DCI fined us (as well as Blessed Sac) $1000 for missing the show! <**>

Money was an issue for Blue Rock in 1972 .... found out at the US Open Nationals (week before DCI) that we weren't going. After not being able to attend due to financial constraints, DCI fined us (as well as Blessed Sac) $1000 for missing the show! <**>
Outrageous and tyrannical.

That would never have happened under the just-ousted veterans-groups leadership that DCI "improved upon".

Talk about being kicked when you're down.