Surreal Moments in DCI

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this qualifies as "surreal" but...

I only have the individual corps video of 1984 Suncoast, so this is our semi-final performance but there is a surreal moment at the end of "Requiem" where if you watch the balloon being released by the little girl and watch it until it floats out of the picture, it leaves the screen exactly on cue with the release of the last chord.

Edited by Russellrks

Clean, almost to the point of sterile - then it has to be BD 01, just wow

Nice moments:

G-men 99 - The huge unison in the hornline at about 10:00 (wow)

PR 91 - facing backfield in the heart, really amazing sound at about 6:07 or so

PR 93 - Fire of Eternal Glory

PR 96 - The arc mesh with the building chord

PR 97 - the ascending scale at about 5:00 (I like the scream as well)

PR 03 - Cannon Reprise (yeah, I know it looks bad, lol)

BD 95 - the closser, so much energy

SCV 00 - Adagio, and Stained Glass (well, I LOVE the whole show)

SCV 99 - Openner - intense

BD 99 - Very beginning when the hornline rotate the spiral into the block and expand

BD 98 - Openning brass chorale - from Romeo and Juliet

To name a few of my favorites

1985 Phantom Regiment - the greatest June thru August transformation ever, and Phantom's best show ever design wise.

1991 Star of Indiana - the most perfect brass performance ever. How this corps didn't win by 2 points is beyond me.

1992 Star of Indiana - see above!

1993 Star of Indiana - see above!

And interestingly enough - Star WON brass our very first show in 1985 in Bloomington Normal IL - over Phantom and Cavies.

I dont think this was a "coolest moment" thread, but a thread about those drum corps moments that just take you to a deeper level or another place.

I have two:

2005 Cadets- the ballad. The interaction beween Danni and the corps was amazing. I love when she's backing up and the snareline follows her down the yardline. It's haunting and beautiful.

1993 Phantom Regiment- also the ballad. Fire of Eternal Glory, when they all lay down their helmets. WOW.

If you are lucky, you will get to witness when the show transcends the moment and becomes something amazing.

It was at the Dallas/Lake Highlands show in 1994 and Phantom was doing Claire De Lune. The moon was full and with the slight clouds, it looked like the ones the color guard had on their flag.

The most amazing part though was how the entire crowd was held rapt by the music. Other corps, souvie people all came out to see this moment. Not only did you have 10000+ people absolutely silent, but no one moved and inch while the corps played.

One thing I did see was that there were a lot of people who were emotionally affected by the moment. I have never seen so many people actually shed tears for something like that. I felt like Regiment had reached into my soul and tapped something that I thought was unreachable.

It was the most amaing and most surreal thing I ever saw.