DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

Wow. I almost can't believe it.

I spent this last weekend in Chicago attending this year's "fall" DCI meetings. The big news of the weekend for us all-agers... DCI held it's first all-age corps session with over 15 all-age corps attending! In addition, they are making those corps official "members" of their respective regions, much like Renegades/Dream/RCR have been members of DCI-Pacific. Finally, they plan to use DCA sheets to evaluate all-age corps at DCI shows.

This is a very big step for DCI, and a rock-solid endorsement of the cooperative model we've been using here in California (pioneered by the Renegades, I might add). All in all, a very positive weekend for us all-age corps!

I'd like to personally thank DCI, and in particular DCI-P's Tom Hope and DCI's Sue Kuehnhold for their efforts, honesty and enthusiasm. Great job!

See you as a proud member of DCI,

- Greg

PS: Oh yeah...DCI is also going to make a big effort to drop the "senior" and go with "all-age" (a nod to DCA). Another sign DCI is listening and working with us all-agers.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opportunity of the west coast all age corps to compete in venues that would provide shorter travel time, greater fan participation, and possible growth of the activity is great. The fact that DCI has a desire to spearhead that exercise is very unfortunate.

It has been a while, but from my memory I remember Drum Corps International really played hardball with DCM for control of corps and shows. The practice was not to take over DCM but rather run them out of existence. DCI saw the need to take over that venue due to lacking numbers of competitive corps back then and may be looking for new ways to fill lineups as their membership continues to decrease.

DCI charter? What would keep DCI from making amendments to their charter should it fit their desires? Anyone.

As I have participated in and watched DCI over the past 20 years, DCI has shown to be a group of elitist that are focused on the publicity of the activity, not the participants of the activity or the growth of the activity. Maybe someone can share if the DCI board has changed over the past 20 years and how much. There are many non-for-profit organizations, which have many directors/administrators collecting some huge pay.

I do wish this works out for those in the West. Many of us in the Midwest and the East enjoy the results of your hard work and dedication, I just believe by looking at the past that this is not good for the senior activity as a whole. DCA is on the right track and the growing numbers of participants are showing that.

Greg Wiese

Railmen

Bayou City Blues

Empire

Thunderbirds

Greg,

DCI has invested a ton of time and money to market themselves as a youth activity, and they use it to attract sponsors...in fact, being youth is what helped get them onto ESPN.

I really can't see DCi wanting to take over ALL Age corps because it would basically cause them to totally remake what they have spent the last few years building towards as far as brand identity

Tell you what, sweetie. You wear any of the above t shirts and I will , hurts to to say this, wear a Kiltie shirt at DCA next year. Deal ?

Annie

I wore a Renegades shirt yesterday. I wore my Govies shirt last week.

and if MBI still has the hockey jersies, i'm adding it to my Xmaslist.

Greg,

I must honestly say that you are off base here. In retrospect, I think it was positive for the Midwest to keep DCM alive until we had DCAC come into the region to fill some show needs. The DCM/DCI thing was a little whacky, I have to say, but now it seems that DCI is going out of their way to accomodate All Age Corps into some of what they do.

Are they focused on the AA experience? no. Do they want to take over or kill AA? no. I think they did lack and still do lack some information about what kind of traveling the AA corps can, and can not do. We are working with DCI to make both associations stronger. The corps' who last participated in DCM did leave the organization with money should they (we/us) choose/need to bring back that association. It is still a little complicated, but I do not hold any ill will toward DCI. We are learning to work with each other in a trustworthy manner. Our regional associations within DCI handle the AA corps a little bit differently, in each region. To some this looks not like equity, but we are all trying to find the best role for AA within an association built to showcase the highest quality youthful participants and drum corps'.

I think the drum corps community should give this a chance. MBI will continue our focus as an AA corps. We run a DCAC show and will compete as AA during DCI, DCAC and DCA finals competitions (and even the DCA circuit, should a show end up close to our area and we can pair it with another show opportunity). It is definately not worth breaking the bank for a corps to travel. Maybe between DCI and DCA we can figure out how to make some AA travel work nationwide, while keeping the AA corps focus on regional events and travel.

Create peace,

Brent Turner

DCM Chair

2004-2005

MBI Corps Director

61st Year in 2007

:blink:

Greg,

DCI has invested a ton of time and money to market themselves as a youth activity, and they use it to attract sponsors...in fact, being youth is what helped get them onto ESPN.

I really can't see DCi wanting to take over ALL Age corps because it would basically cause them to totally remake what they have spent the last few years building towards as far as brand identity

DCI wants All age corps because they have killed off so many II & III corps they are looking for new warm up corps for the top corps. Who wants to go on at 6:00 in 100 degree heat every show? Do you think they would treat all age any differently?

Edited by moon

DCI wants All age corps because they have killed off so many II & III corps they are looking for new warm up corps for the top corps. Who wants to go on at 6:00 in 100 degree heat every show? Do you think they would treat all age any differently?

you got that right,...............except they may coddle to a couple/few

Having performed with MBI for the past few years, I will say that I don't mind being early in the program for a DCI show. I understand that we aren't always the first unit to perform, but I've done my share of marching in the heat and with the sun in my eyes. I welcome the opportunity to perform and also get the benefit of checking out the DCI corps performance. Perhaps the midwest shows are different, but there always seemed to be a healthy crowd for our performances and they were usually welcoming. Bottom line for me is that I prefer a fuller schedule of show opportunities to perform. Perhaps someday DCAC will grow to the point where our schedule will be full of DCA shows, won't that be sweet.

I wore a Renegades shirt yesterday. I wore my Govies shirt last week.

and if MBI still has the hockey jersies, i'm adding it to my Xmaslist.

:blink:

Jeff..Check out the MBI store on the website..If they don't have one available, I'll make arrangements to make you a deal on mine..I've only worn it about 3 or 4 times.

Pat

Greg,

I must honestly say that you are off base here. In retrospect, I think it was positive for the Midwest to keep DCM alive until we had DCAC come into the region to fill some show needs. The DCM/DCI thing was a little whacky, I have to say, but now it seems that DCI is going out of their way to accomodate All Age Corps into some of what they do.

Create peace,

Brent Turner

DCM Chair

2004-2005

MBI Corps Director

Brent,

I hope you are correct. This could be a really great thing for the growth of the activity and looking forward for more great things to come from all age corps. Like many that have gone through years of watching DCI, I am more than a little leary of their motives.

Loved the show this year and looking forward to seeing ya'll again in '07. Didn't realize that "Pud" could conduct as well as the extensive listing of other talents he posseses. (Although, he looked like his 4/4 had a bit of a southern drawl)

Greg Wiese