DCI Meeting in Chicago... Good News for All-Age Corps!

DCI wants All age corps because they have killed off so many II & III corps they are looking for new warm up corps for the top corps. Who wants to go on at 6:00 in 100 degree heat every show? Do you think they would treat all age any differently?

DCi doesn't need all age corps at all. if they had no one to go on early, odds are they'd start the show later.

that DCI is offering these corps a chance to perform on what could be double the amount of times they get to perform the way it is now is great news.

i'm not DCI's biggest fan, but really, people are reaching way too far here.

DCI and DCA don't hate each other any more. it's time people accept it.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Jeff..Check out the MBI store on the website..If they don't have one available, I'll make arrangements to make you a deal on mine..I've only worn it about 3 or 4 times.

Pat

i make my xmas list on 12/1. pisses mom off that i wait so late, so keep one around til then :P

DCi doesn't need all age corps at all. if they had no one to go on early, odds are they'd start the show later.

that DCI is offering these corps a chance to perform on what could be double the amount of times they get to perform the way it is now is great news.

i'm not DCI's biggest fan, but really, people are reaching way too far here.

DCI and DCA don't hate each other any more. it's time people accept it.

I humbly disagree based on premise alone. DCI does need AA now more than ever, and not just to fill show slots. It's not about hate or want ....... it's about need. I guess i'm in the total minority for thinking that "WE" (as veterans of drum corps) should be doing something to help the Jr. activity. I'm not speaking on behalf of any corps in what I'm saying. The first thing that crosses my mind is ............ omg what if Jr. corps died? I remember my 5 yrs of marching in jr. corps and wonder what my life would be like had I not had the opportunity or experience that came with it.

The fact is, and it's been posted several times in this thread, Div 2/3 is in rough shape in regards to connecting the dots on the touring schedule. There have been several smaller corps folding or not coming out in the past 2-3 years in specific regions of the country. You can't sell a show to a sponsor with only 4 div 2/3 corps on the slate. You can't expect the Racine Scouts (or any other Div 2/3 corps) to travel 500 miles every other day just to get work. So do the math. Take whatever angle you want on the subject. I guess for me, it's a concious choice in the end. I'm tired of seeing WONDERFUL, small, upstart or promising programs turn to dust because they can't meet the financial requirements to travel excessive distances from one show to the next. I can only hope that this is a rebuilding phase for DCI and "WE" should do what we can to support it. Nothing more .. nothing less.

Can we do both? Can we build our regions for DCA and DCI? Based on precedent and history.... both can be done at the same time. Is it hard? **** right it is. So step up or step ...... elsewhere. In the meantime .. let this thread die as it should have over a week ago.

//on antibump

I agree with you on the number of junior corps shrinking. however, i dont blame DCI for all of it. sure a few decisions haven't helped, but really let's look at why AA is growing:

corps are starting in areas that hadn't had AA corps in decades if ever.

but really DCI doesn't need them. I've been to 6 corps shows in the east where the host charged 40 bucks between the 40's and sold a majority of the seats...and had a god crowd outside the 40's. no AA corps on the bill...no D2/3 corps either.

you cant sell a D2/3 show for many reasons...one of them being most 2/3 corps dont do nearly enough to market themselves as worth seeing. also, DCi could do a lot more, but won't cause it's the big guns who have the votes.

both can be done. remember, as dci goes to more and more of a national touring model, junior shows may only be happening in an aera for a certain set number of days, then boom, off to the next region of the US. look at what DCAC has done....their shows are in August when traditionally, DCI is done or in other areas. brilliant idea no?

that's what this does. it lets AA corps have a plce to perform when the kids are passing thru, yet they can build the region on all the other weekends.

it's win-win. no AA corps is beholden to DCI to handle all of their bookings if they wish it to be. out west, since there is no DCA region YET, yeah it makes it tougher. but their day is coming, and then they can pick weekends DCI is elsewhere, have shows and viola......win-win.

...and had a god crowd outside the 40's. no AA corps on the bill...no D2/3 corps either.
Man, I wish I could perform in front of a god crowd!

b**bs :rolleyes: b**bs

Man, I wish I could perform in front of a god crowd!

b**bs :rolleyes: b**bs

well Holy Name...err Hop... was the sponsor :P

Man, I should've never started reading this. 26 pages of rants. Wow!

I don't see any difference than what exists now. We've done DCI shows for years. This summer we were judged on DCA sheets at these shows (quite well, too). We need these DCI shows to pad out our schedule that was drastically reduced by the demise of DCM. We also need these shows because some (Mankato and Stillwater specifically) are in a local market and performing for the homeys is mighty important in promoting an organization. DCI needs us as well. They have dwinding numbers of corps and they need more bang for the big bucks that people pay to watch these shows. For example, we were added late to the Cippewa Falls DCI show last season because they needed another corps to perform at the Div III show there. People will not pay the prices DCI charges if there is only a one and a half hour show. DCI needs us, we need them and that's why this is all coming down. There is no takeover. There is no conspiracy. There's just a circuit trying to run shows and corps trying to get shows. They had to make a "reasonable" offer in order to get us to comply. DCI obviously does not need corps in the NE yet, but when they do, an offer will surely be made. We are now a DCA corps and are using DCI to our advantage. Nothing more, nothing less.