Kingsmen - 2007 performance

"it would be a kick to hear a quick passage played on some old "bugles" (rotor/valve?)"
I can assure you there will be lots of those. I tried a two verticle piston soprano....felt like someone was blowing back at me from the other end. I went back to the rotary...loud, brassy, and waaaayyyyy more cool. July was the first time in 43 years I blew a horn....bring on the crowd.

The Kingsmen third sop line can already blow the socks off the first fifteen rows of any stadium in the land.

We will not disappoint. We will be remembered.

GO KINGSMEN!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I tried a two verticle piston soprano....felt like someone was blowing back at me from the other end. I went back to the rotary...loud, brassy, and waaaayyyyy more cool. July was the first time in 43 years I blew a horn....bring on the crowd.

That reminds me of a funny thing that todays corps members (drummers esp.) will laugh at:

As we started up the Madison alumni corps, we were playing on just a hap-hazardly thrown together set of drums from here and there... poorly tuned and probably not

touched or taken care of for some time. Sometime around April or so Yamaha sent us all our drums for the project and we anxiously assembled the carriers and tuned

up the drums. Once I finally got some tension on that kevlar head, I almost put my eye out with the rebound I got!! b**bs

Todays percussion instruments are really technologically and mechanically far superior instruments, and I noticed a while back a picture of the Kingsmen snareline with

some great looking drums on stands. Obviously, they will be going with the new sound and snare drum for this reunion corps, which is GREAT!! But I would love to hear

an old fashioned snareline sound on some Slingerland TDR's or Ludwig Challengers. It's a fatter, more snary sound that sounds outdated in today's idiom.

I believe the Cavalier Classic's guys are playing TDR's, which would be fun to see. I'll be checking them out this upcoming year as well...

I sure hope you guys are loving every minute of this, because (as Scott Stewart constantly reminded us...) you will be sad it's over six weeks after you aren't doing it anymore.

Man was he right...

As I post this, my soprano rests in my lap. I absolutely love to practice this horn...can't say I enjoyed it as much in the early 1960's.

I agree with you about drums...I loved that heavy snary sound much more than the rat-a-tat snare sound that presently come from those drums...it's like the snares are stretched way too tight.

The only bad part is the freaking I-5 traffic when I head to Anaheim for rehearsal...other than that, it's Mecca.

I am surprised that the Classic Cavaliers are marching old drums, I've heard that they're playing on Bb horns to accomodate the younger members. The two don't jive.

Sorry people, it looks like one of those contra spots has been filled.

For any brass player out there. One day in camp in June we stood in an arc of 92 Brass, what a rush. At the Walnut show, it was 90 Brass on the field. At camp in 2007, we will have just under 150 Brass in the arc (a very big arc) and in August, Holy Cow Batman! The good thing for all of drum corps is that the majority of these members haven't participated in drum corps for over 25 years and most about 32 years on average. We're all coming home.

Playing the warm-up chorale that Gary Kean wrote with 90+ horns was amazing. With 150, I can only imagine. Join us and be there and play in the ARC. And watch and feel the gray hair on your arms rise. We do have about a dozen under 30 that keep us sane.

Thank you Madison Scouts, as Lynn Holly wrote on her photo and presented to you at practice "You guys have really raised the bar"

21 contras that have paid the $$$ ... we have three spots left to fill? Who amongst you is man or woman enough? Come out four times in the next 11 months and you will have a hugh memory the rest of your life.

I only I had the money... :( Man, being poor SUCKS!!!

I want to see the snares doing the Anaheim stick toss thing. I have no idea what it's called. I just remember teaching myself to play it around 1973/74. That was the coolest thing EVER! :unsure:

Christmas will come early for you in 2007...

I want to see the snares doing the Anaheim stick toss thing. I have no idea what it's called. I just remember teaching myself to play it around 1973/74. That was the coolest thing EVER! :wub:

Done ^0^

• 1 month later...

As beneficiaries of an unanticipatipal sequence of events...the Kingsmen Alumni Corps now owns 3 of the 1972 Anaheim Kingsmen tympani carried in DCI, and the restored tymps will appear in public in 2007...

...somebody up there likes us.... :)

Edited by GuyW