CAROLINA CROWN 2006

The one thing that comes to mind is: Blue Devils drumline '81...then Blue Devils drumline '82. Night & day....

Wait a minute..... Blue Devils had a drumline in 1981???? :P

Fran

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watching the show get pout together was really awesome... I've watched them at all days since 04, and I could tell this was the most excited a lot of them were since 04. It was a really good show.

~>conner

I loved 2006. I thought it was a great year for drum corps.

I LOVED Crown this year.

I think that they got hosed on saturday night.

Thats all really.

Kudos go out to all of the groups that performed that night, but I really really have a special place in my heart for crown.

Call me and ask for a donation.

I'll be glad to call and ask for a donation.

If I only had a phone number.

We have a perk/tschotske for every level of giving . . .

Here is my info:

Steve Tant

steve@carolinacrown.org

Look forward to your response.

Crown thanks you for the kind words, one and all.

I hope DCI does something to correct the placement issues in 2007. There were several problems with the lineup at Finals as noted by the audience reactions. A couple more years of that and fans will start to get turned off.

Because the crowd is in a better postition than the judges to detirmine placements, right? :wub:

Don't get me wrong- I loved Crown this year, but I'm so over the "they got hosed" ########... Celebrate their accomplishments and leave the adjudication to the people who've been trained and educated on how to do that job.

99% of the people make the "they were cheated" argument purely on an emotional level, while the judges aren't afforded that luxury. They have to make analytical decisions (many of which can't even be spotted from the stands, by the way), and I think you do a disservice to the men and woman that have worked hard at their craft when you make comments like that.

I don't think that they should be immune to criticism, and I'm glad that the numbers have the transparency that they do, but I don't buy your position at all, especially when you use crowd response as a rationale.

Congratulations to Crown for a breathtaking performance, congratulations to Blue Knights for having a breathtaking performance, congratulations to all corps that had breathtaking perfomance, and kudos to the judges that work hard to place credit where their expertise tells them to place it, redardless whether or not it's a popular decision in the eyes of some fans (most of which who have never read a sheet).

Because the crowd is in a better postition than the judges to detirmine placements, right? :blink:

Don't get me wrong- I loved Crown this year, but I'm so over the "they got hosed" ########... Celebrate their accomplishments and leave the adjudication to the people who've been trained and educated on how to do that job.

99% of the people make the "they were cheated" argument purely on an emotional level, while the judges aren't afforded that luxury. They have to make analytical decisions (many of which can't even be spotted from the stands, by the way), and I think you do a disservice to the men and woman that have worked hard at their craft when you make comments like that.

I don't think that they should be immune to criticism, and I'm glad that the numbers have the transparency that they do, but I don't buy your position at all, especially when you use crowd response as a rationale.

Congratulations to Crown for a breathtaking performance, congratulations to Blue Knights for having a breathtaking performance, congratulations to all corps that had breathtaking perfomance, and kudos to the judges that work hard to place credit where their expertise tells them to place it, redardless whether or not it's a popular decision in the eyes of some fans (most of which who have never read a sheet).

My opinion... Crown got cheated; but they signed and sealed their own destiny when they re-hired they're percussion staff from the previous year. Not to be harsh, but the drumline at Crown became such a problem that not only did it begin to affect their caption, but practically every other caption. I am not saying that the kids that marched that line were bad kids, or that they didn't work hard (on the contrary, people seem to post on here the exact opposite, that they were the hardest working section of the corps). However, the CD doesn't lie, and neither do the scores. All things considered, Crown did not get cheated as a drum corps; they ended up right where they belonged.

It was Crown's Brass and Guard that were cheated.

My apologies to anyone I might offend by this; just trying to be an honest observer.

• 2 weeks later...
My opinion... Crown got cheated; but they signed and sealed their own destiny when they re-hired they're percussion staff from the previous year. Not to be harsh, but the drumline at Crown became such a problem that not only did it begin to affect their caption, but practically every other caption.

My apologies to anyone I might offend by this; just trying to be an honest observer.

We're not offended at all; I think we all agree that we'd rather get honest oppinions than halfhearted praise.

At the same time, I want to say that the staff of '06 was not at all a mistake for the organization. Brian Tinkel had a great vision for a program that we knew would take more than a year to develop. It didn't work out as expected, but that could never have been forseen, and we the members, the entire design team, and the administration all believed in what we were trying to do with drum corps percussion.

Sure, a new staff has been hired for next year (although there is some overlap... Ian Hale, a key staff member will be on percussion staff again), and that will be great for the corps, but nobody involved with the '06 season, I don't think, regrets anything about it. We are very content with the levels of excellence we achieved on and off the field regardless of how it was interpretted by any fan or judge.

Our primary goal as a section was to support the music ensemble as a whole, which is why any lack we had in clarity did not have a significant negative effect on the music ensemble. Rather, ensemble cleanliness came at the expense of some section cleanliness at times, I think.

I'm just one member; take my comments with a grain of salt, but I couldn't help but throw all of this out there for you guys to read and understand.

And again, like I've said in other threads, thanks so much to those of you guys out there supporting Crown. It's awesome to read each and every post. GGarrett, thanks for writing the office; sorry you never heard a response, that's very unlike the guys there not to respond. Fortunately, there are a bunch of members who read these threads and have gotten your message that way.

See you on the field...

:blink:

did you not pay attention to them at all this year?

The argument that Crown doesn't have hard shows is really old and overplayed... and not true whatsoever, at least not for 2006.

~>conner

i wish they had hard music...

The hornline had hard music, and the show was difficult in terms of the ensemble challenges, but listen to that drum book... judging by "ThePerfectBuzz" sn, I'll have to say that you were referring to percussion music... in which case, you're exactly correct. Easy.

But with this new staff... look out...