CAROLINA CROWN 2006

I would have to agree that crowns book was not even close to the level of Bk or SCV. There percussion really let them down. I mean they do have an amzing hornline but whos hornline wouldnt sound amazing if it was always loud and/or just long chords. Seriously.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my humble opinion, many people have to get over a fact of life with judged competitions. Judges are looking at the CRITERIA with which they are responsible for critiquing. This means that when a show has phasing and ensemble problems, they note it. It means when there are percussion issues, they note it. And after, they add up all the scores to be arbitrary and as fair as possible.

For anyone saying they got "hosed", you weren't going to be happy with them in 7th. The sheer fact that the Blue Knights passed Crown is a small victory in judging that many are choosing to slam. We talk here about how judging should be more fair, more even-handed, and more closely related to performance. And when that shows up, people are mad because their favorite show lost a spot.

Did it drop off the CD? No; you only have to push forward once. But to say that Crown was "hosed" really is disrespectful of the Blue Knights. It's not unusual here; a minority of people on the Planet appreciate what BK has accomplished. But it's not about BK. It's about Crown, and its fans. The fact that you liked the show should be an *encouraging* sign, and should make you a fan. However, the sour grapes are annoying.

Be happy for Crown. They had a great show. But being disrespectful to the Blue Knights is lame. BK beat crown twice, and it was the times that mattered. BK played the game and won. Crown played to the crowd and didn't. And unless we start getting random judges in the stands (hell no), you have to play the game. If that starts with a harder brass book, a cleaner drumline, or just simple better execution, by all means.

Crown was a fantastic drum corps this year. They don't need anyone to bag on their competitors to prove the point.

Edited by drumcat

In my humble opinion, many people have to get over a fact of life with judged competitions. Judges are looking at the CRITERIA with which they are responsible for critiquing. This means that when a show has phasing and ensemble problems, they note it. It means when there are percussion issues, they note it. And after, they add up all the scores to be arbitrary and as fair as possible.

For anyone saying they got "hosed", you weren't going to be happy with them in 7th. The sheer fact that the Blue Knights passed Crown is a small victory in judging that many are choosing to slam. We talk here about how judging should be more fair, more even-handed, and more closely related to performance. And when that shows up, people are mad because their favorite show lost a spot.

Did it drop off the CD? No; you only have to push forward once. But to say that Crown was "hosed" really is disrespectful of the Blue Knights. It's not unusual here; a minority of people on the Planet appreciate what BK has accomplished. But it's not about BK. It's about Crown, and its fans. The fact that you liked the show should be an *encouraging* sign, and should make you a fan. However, the sour grapes are annoying.

Be happy for Crown. They had a great show. But being disrespectful to the Blue Knights is lame. BK beat crown twice, and it was the times that mattered. BK played the game and won. Crown played to the crowd and didn't. And unless we start getting random judges in the stands (hell no), you have to play the game. If that starts with a harder brass book, a cleaner drumline, or just simple better execution, by all means.

Crown was a fantastic drum corps this year. They don't need anyone to bag on their competitors to prove the point.

A few thoughts..

No one AT CC is bagging anyone. There are people here, including me, that thought that they were scored low at finals. Plain and simple. Judging from the crowd reaction, I am not alone in this opinion.

I will reiterate what connor said..CC's brass book was anything but easy. There were plenty of technical passages, exposure out the ying-yang and killer drill moves while they played. I would venture to say that the brass book was as difficult as anyones, except maybe for Cadets or Phantom.

Very few people here have played it so most here cannot really say as to just how hard it really was :sshh:

Also, the hornline did sound good while they parked and blew the big cords, but they also sounded good while they were hauling ### accross the field. Listen to the recording..not to many "feet in the sound"

The folks at BK did well finals night. I feel that CC should have been scored higher, but that is my opinion, but not the panel's that saturday night.

It was a very good season for the corps..one that I feel that they will build on in 2007.

A few thoughts..

No one AT CC is bagging anyone. There are people here, including me, that thought that they were scored low at finals. Plain and simple. Judging from the crowd reaction, I am not alone in this opinion.

I will reiterate what connor said..CC's brass book was anything but easy. There were plenty of technical passages, exposure out the ying-yang and killer drill moves while they played. I would venture to say that the brass book was as difficult as anyones, except maybe for Cadets or Phantom.

Very few people here have played it so most here cannot really say as to just how hard it really was :sshh:

Also, the hornline did sound good while they parked and blew the big cords, but they also sounded good while they were hauling ### accross the field. Listen to the recording..not to many "feet in the sound"

The folks at BK did well finals night. I feel that CC should have been scored higher, but that is my opinion, but not the panel's that saturday night.

It was a very good season for the corps..one that I feel that they will build on in 2007.

Fair enough. That sort of criticism and discontent is totally viable, it stands on its own, and is what this forum is for. Disagreement is a lot more dignified than the "hosed" nyaa-nyaas that were preceding it.

Thanks, Tub-man.

one of my favorites as well in 2006...and I was one of the several thousand gasps when their placement was read out by Brandt... AND I was one

of the several thousand clapping for them inspite of that placement.

I even wrote them and told them so... never got a response...but I wrote them anyway. I imagine they got a lot of well wishing fan mail from some

of us flounders... :P

They were really good. And I'm a drummer...and I didn't really think their drumline was stinky poo bad... I mean, they were pretty good, so "very bad"

seems excesively harsh to me... but I know what you mean.

The one thing that comes to mind is: Blue Devils drumline '81...then Blue Devils drumline '82. Night & day....

I would venture a safe bet and say they will be working on that issue this winter, and ummmm... expect a different product in 2007. ^OO^

Their drumline wasnt bad, but they had LOTS of technical issues from sitting on the 30 yard line and listening to them. Also in the lot, not as clean as I though they would be. They had a lot of interp and approach issues, especially on rolls and flam patterns. Notice how the flams sound very think at times.... sorry, I analyse to much... thats what happens when you become a percussion judge lol

But overall... very solid show and a kick ### hornline!!

Edited by xXDSFLXx

2lm29s0.jpg

Restatement in the closer. :blink:

This is bk....

There are people here, including me, that thought that they were scored low at finals.

I do too. Of course, I think both corps, Crown and BK, were scored low at finals. I think finals was low all around, but these two especially should have been well clear of 90.

Both shows are two of my favorites from the year, which is a great thing because I can enjoy both shows without the placements bothering me.