The new numbers

moon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MikeD, are you for real? Or are you just being contrary to have a reason to post?

Yes, for real. What's your problem with that? Because you disagree?

Drum corps used to be cool. As cool as anything else we did before Nintendo, the internet, organized soccer, padded dashboards, and warnings labels telling us not to use our hair-dryers in the bath tub.

Sorry, but outside of the limited world of drum corps few would say it was ever 'cool' to the outside world.

I've been marching the last three years. Trust me, you can't swing a soprano (oops, sorry) a trumpet around a competitive corps without hitting half a dozen music majors. You're right, most are not in a music career but, they do have the degree.

Didn't say there were no music majors...people seem to think it is ALL music majors these days.

"Yes, there are auditions...just as there are for many top-level music performance ensembles such as all-state programs." If I was a prosecuting attorney, I'd be walking back to my seat saying "Your Honor, I rest my case, MikeD has just proven DCI is an elitest activity."

Of course the audition criteria are not always just the best players...but includes those with the best attitudes and work ethics, as has been written in other threads.

It's not all about visual? - Were you able to type that with a straight face? Mike, they changed the scoring system to make visual more equal. More equal as in Animal Farm "more equal."

Drum corps is a mix of music and visual...it's about time guard got it's own caption, IMO.

"but lots of folks flock to shows and love hearing modern drum corps"

Not as many are flocking. Friday night in Allentown, I was not the only one in my section quietly thinking about what I just paid to see. I heard a lot of polite applause. I've heard louder clapping at a golf course.

Not at Allentown on Saturday or Giant's Stadium...or reports from others around the country.

MikeD, If you're happy with DCI the way it is now, I'm glad for you. It just doesn't get me excited like it did just a few years ago. It makes me kind of sad. Not angry, but sad.

Well, we like what we like. I happen to like DCI, DCA and alumni corps for what each provides to the audience.

30+ :laugh: Dang, what about other service group types like Elks and Moose? Pretty sure the Harrisburg Zembo DC closed up shop due to age of members.

Keep forgetting Brian, is your census on line anywhere.

The Elks used to sponsor quite a few corps way back, but I don't think there is much today. I've never seen the Moose have any. Supposedly Zembo still has a drum & bugle corps (they probably still play a few concerts).

This really wasn't supposed to be a complete all-age census, and I probably won't be doing it on a regular basis, but Steve Vickers at Drum Corps World asked me last year if I could do one. I more or less did it just to get some kind of idea about the number of corps that are out there. Well, it accomplished that.

The census is not online, but I can give you a breakdown on where most of the all-age corps are from.

Here are the top AA corps producing areas:

NY--25

NJ--13

PA--13

ONT--10

MN--8

TX--8

MA--8

Edited by Northern Thunder

The Elks used to sponsor quite a few corps way back, but I don't think there is much today. I've never seen the Moose have any. Supposedly Zembo still has a drum & bugle corps (they probably still play a few concerts).

Thanks Brian, if I find out for sure either way I'll let you know. Zembo also has a band and "chanters" (guys sing older songs thru little megaphones) but due to the members age both groups do parades sitting on a float or in a cut out school bus.

I remember the Drum Corps marching in parades before I even knew what a corps was. Like you said, if they are still around it would be sit down concerts only.

Edit - Checked Zembos website and the D&BC is still listed with names and phone numbers of the leaders. Can't find anything about performances but that might be because this time of year not much is going on.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

This really wasn't supposed to be a complete all-age census, and I probably won't be doing it on a regular basis, but Steve Vickers at Drum Corps World asked me last year if I could do one. I more or less did it just to get some kind of idea about the number of corps that are out there. Well, it accomplished that.

The census is not online, but I can give you a breakdown on where most of the all-age corps are from.

NY--25

NJ--13

PA--13

ONT--10

MN--8

TX--8

MA--8

:laugh:

Hey Brian, is this a current list? What are the "8" AA corps from MN ..I can only think of 5.

MBI

Govies

Chops

Zurah

Osman(?)

Or are you talking about current and past?

Pat

:laugh:

Hey Brian, is this a current list? What are the "8" AA corps from MN ..I can only think of 5.

MBI

Govies

Chops

Zurah

Osman(?)

Or are you talking about current and past?

Pat

I was wondering the same thing. Add Tremendous Blast for number 6.

Who's Osman(?)?

Anyone know the other 2?

PA--13

for PA I have:

1. Wind Gap Blue Eagles

2. Reading Buccaneers

3. Buccaneers Alumni

4. Keystone Regiment

5. Hanover Lancers

6. Jaffa Shrine

7. Mon Valley Express

8. AE Musketeers

9. Reilly Raiders

10. Steel City

11. Syria Shrine

12. Erie Thunderbirds

13. Westshoremen

14. Cambria Cadets

15. Derry Patriots

16. Zembo Shrine

and Crossmen Alumni coming soon,....................