Who would love the Cadets again?

Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me why they were the "Garfield" Cadets, then the "Cadets of Bergen County" and now simply "The Cadets"? I've heard that at some point in their history they ran into financial problems and had to file for bankruptcy. When they recovered they weren't allowed to use the "same" name for legal reasons, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Can anyone please clarify that?

Thanks

They were originally the Holy Name Cadets (named after the church that sponsored them)

When they broke their connection to the church they changed the name to the Garfield Cadets (Holy Name Church and the corps were located in Garfield New Jersey)

When the town stopped supporting the corps they changed their name to the Cadets of Bergen County (Garfield is in Bergen County)

Not sure why they dropped the Bergen County and just became the Cadets, but their offices are no longer located in Bergen County so maybe that was why.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were originally the Holy Name Cadets (named after the church that sponsored them)

When they broke their connection to the church they changed the name to the Garfield Cadets (Holy Name Church and the corps were located in Garfield New Jersey)

When the town stopped supporting the corps they changed their name to the Cadets of Bergen County (Garfield is in Bergen County)

Not sure why they dropped the Bergen County and just became the Cadets, but their offices are no longer located in Bergen County so maybe that was why.

The were The Cadets before the move to PA.

BTW...one year...either 71 or 72...we were The Cadets of Garfield...possibly the genesis of the "...of Bergen County" part of the later name.

I think the "Garfield" was dropped when the corps moved their office to Bergenfield, as you say.

Per the original question. I think the cadets are an excellent corps. Like everyone in drum corps they try their hardest and produce very good shows. They in my opinion are pushing the activity, and shows to the limit and they get mad respect from me.

It has to be hard on members from the Cadets. Considering they put forth their whole summer and then get to hear crap for it. An opinion of dislike can be expressed but no need to completely hate towards a corps. Sure the 2006 show wasn't my favorite show of all time but everyone can admit they performed the heck out of it.

Per the original question. I think the cadets are an excellent corps. Like everyone in drum corps they try their hardest and produce very good shows. They in my opinion are pushing the activity, and shows to the limit and they get mad respect from me.

It has to be hard on members from the Cadets. Considering they put forth their whole summer and then get to hear crap for it. An opinion of dislike can be expressed but no need to completely hate towards a corps. Sure the 2006 show wasn't my favorite show of all time but everyone can admit they performed the heck out of it.

It's usually Hoppy who takes the heat - not the Cadets.

True, True.

Edited by Bugle Turtle

Edited by Bugle Turtle

Maybe if you post this a third time, it'll really be true!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

BTW...one year...either 71 or 72...we were The Cadets of Garfield...possibly the genesis of the "...of Bergen County" part of the later name.

I think the "Garfield" was dropped when the corps moved their office to Bergenfield, as you say.

yes that was the reason for the shift from Garfield to the bergen county moniker, their move to bergenfield. However, I still seem to recall that the move to bergenfield was somewhat driven by a lack of support for the corps in garfield.

I believe that Bergenfield stopped supporting them in the ways they had in the past, so they stopped supporting Bergenfield.