Who would love the Cadets again?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

** wants to put on the reality bending glasses that Mike continually wears **

Out of curiosity, how are the "gimmicks" that the Cadets have had any different than say... having the corps act like robots... or putting the horns down and doing little dances?

Right. Because there wasn't a corps from Wisconsin who in 1995 managed to get the biggest audience response DCI has ever seen and had the entire audience standing up and sreaming their heads off. That's impossible. Fans have such varied tastes that a single show can't appeal to more than 10% of the audience.

Cadets can do this. They used to. They don't anymore.

Well actually as a fan in 1995 I for one went and got something to eat when Madison came on at finals because I didn't like their show that year and was tired of watching it after quarters and semi's. by the way this is the only time I have been at a show and intentionally left the stands to not watch a corps performance.

Well actually as a fan in 1995 I for one went and got something to eat when Madison came on at finals because I didn't like their show that year and was tired of watching it after quarters and semi's. by the way this is the only time I have been at a show and intentionally left the stands to not watch a corps performance.

What was it about the show that you didn't like?

What was it about the show that you didn't like?

sick of the overplayed spanish music that year and didn't want to hear it anymore.

It's hard to be a Cadet. Probably, moreso than any other corps. Reading this crap doesn't make it any easier.

[...]

A Cadet member does not go into the season expecting to be loved or understood. They understand the complexity of what they perform and how it effects the "fans" of drum corps (both positively and negatively). They feel the pressure of Cadets past ...... Design staff present ... and fans everywhere in between.

preach it.

one thing i always enjoyed about being a cadet was rolling into a place like clifton or allentown and seeing the watchful eyes of alumni who far pre-date george hopkins and "the cadets of bergen county" and sometimes "the garfield cadets."

i don't much worry about the product (to steal a term from danielray) the corps puts on the field. in the grand scheme of things, "this year" means only a little.

sick of the overplayed spanish music that year and didn't want to hear it anymore.

But you were willing to stay in there and watch certain corps swing like a brick on a rope.

I love the Cadets and all the other drum corps. I love the drum corps activity. I dislike guard judge Julie Gilley. The worst judge in DCI.

Edited by boxingfred

There was no internet when I marched. Crowd opinion was exchanged in the parking lot over a cooler full of beer. Innovation in "those days" were corps like the Bridgemen, who are now looked upon as one of the great innovators of the day. Comments on their show overheard in the parking lot might have sounded a lot like what we are "hearing" here on DCP about The Cadets.

Art is rarely appreciated immediately. The number of artistic people who died in poverty and obscurity are too numerous to begin mentioning. But, today, many of those people have paintings that sell for millions of dollars, poems that are revered (no pun intended), or books or movies that are studied in universities. If Monet or Seurat had given up on their "visions", we would be missing many masterpieces.

Yes, some innovative corps are appreciated immediately, and the same has been true in the artistic world. Witness the adoration of the great VK shows (which might never have happened if not for Bridgemen), the 1983 Cadets show, etc. etc. etc. Likewise, imagine the drubbing PR would have taken on this forum for the Spartacus show. They felt it was necessary to hand out librettos to the audience to explain their show. Was it the greatest show of all time? NO. But without that show, the idea of an entire show playing out a concept and a story line would have taken longer to evolve. (Look on the Drumcorpsreps website - even the best corps played many unrelated styles of music that were not even close to telling a story, or establishing a theme - 1975 Madison for example).

Let art be art. I don't like Paul Klee or even much of Kandinsky's work. Many do. Likewise, I might not like a particular corps' particular show one particular year, but I appreciate the designers' decisions to express themselves through the product on the field. Let the kids decide who they wish to march with, and whose vision they wish to be a part of.

Got to go watch the DVD of "Sunday in the Park with George" now....

BTW, whoever you are with the Audrey Hepburn avatar, contact me. I sell calendars for a living and have a great one of Audrey!