Which was better, 1976 Cadets or 2006 Cadets?

Why is it funny? Judging by your signature, you didn't see the 76 show. Is it funny to ask who was the better president: George W. Bush (06) or Gerald Ford (76)? I think historians would find that a legitimate topic.

Ah, you silly goose. There is a sardonic tone to the thread, which I guess you did not pick up on, and I was simply commenting on this. FYI, Millard Filmore was a better president than George W. Bush.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, you silly goose. There is a sardonic tone to the thread, which I guess you did not pick up on, and I was simply commenting on this. FYI, Millard Filmore was a better president than George W. Bush.

Nah, I caught the tone. It just struck me as arrogant not sardonic so I thought I'd mess with it.

I saw 76 Garfield, 06 Cadets, Gerald Ford, and GWB but Millard Filmore was even before me. I hope you're not going with the bathtub in the White House thing, cause that's been debunked long ago.

I don't know why someone picked '76 Garfield, but it was a corps whose staff could still bring it today if they were all still with us. Frank Dorritie was at an early stage in his career and has been in and out of the arranger's chair in many good places since then. The late George Tuthill was a true musician who produced Hutchinson Sky Riders and corps out west before his untimely passing. I don't recall who the visual person was, I know Hugh Mahon was back in some capacity, but Pete Emmons comes to mind.

Edited by MiamiSun76

Gotcha. I've never seen a show without an amplified pit, but from the recordings, the balance of the pre-2004 shows between the pit and the drumline seems close to perfect, and I see no reason why amplification was added so that the pit could be louder

On the recordings of pre amped drum corps, the balance seems fine because the mics are right in front of the pit. Live, it was a different story. So, in order to be heard, most pits just used harder mallets to create a brighter tone that cuts more. Only a few pits, mainly the cavaliers, imo, had a decent full sound in the unamped days. That sort of playing took WAY more chops due to the amount of height and velocity needed to project with softer mallets, probably why it was rare.

On the recordings of pre amped drum corps, the balance seems fine because the mics are right in front of the pit. Live, it was a different story. So, in order to be heard, most pits just used harder mallets to create a brighter tone that cuts more. Only a few pits, mainly the cavaliers, imo, had a decent full sound in the unamped days. That sort of playing took WAY more chops due to the amount of height and velocity needed to project with softer mallets, probably why it was rare.

Very interesting...thanks for the info.

I don't know why someone picked '76 Garfield, but it was a corps whose staff could still bring it today if they were all still with us. Frank Dorritie was at an early stage in his career and has been in and out of the arranger's chair in many good places since then. The late George Tuthill was a true musician who produced Hutchinson Sky Riders and corps out west before his untimely passing. I don't recall who the visual person was, I know Hugh Mahon was back in some capacity, but Pete Emmons comes to mind.

Hmmm...Frank arranged our show 5 years prior to 76, so he wasn't a total rookie! I think 71 was his first show, but Ironlips himself might chime in and tell us.

George? I don't remember him coming back, but I was teaching in the Garden State Circuit and didn't see a lot of shows so it is possible. When was Gerry Shelmer with them? It was sometime around then.

And I believe the reason why they stood out is becuase they played almost nothing but unisons...at least that what my percussionist friend told me. (and it makes sense)

I believe amping also had something to do with that...those who write compose/arrange the front ensemble music wanted to be able to write more layered parts without worrying about them not even being heard.

Hmmm...Frank arranged our show 5 years prior to 76, so he wasn't a total rookie! I think 71 was his first show, but Ironlips himself might chime in and tell us.

George? I don't remember him coming back, but I was teaching in the Garden State Circuit and didn't see a lot of shows so it is possible. When was Gerry Shelmer with them? It was sometime around then.

Speaking relatively regarding Frank. He's put on more mileage since the westward trek, but he can speak for himself in these parts.

I spent a lot of time with them in Patterson Armory that year, because I was a Sunriser vagabond at the mercy of the likes of Brian Callahan who lived in Bergenfield b**bs It was cheap entertainment.

I know Hugh was back, and thought George was too. Might have been Bill Kauffman, though. That was the year after they did the Bridgemen disaster (except for my idea of "You and Me Against The World").

Speaking relatively regarding Frank. He's put on more mileage since the westward trek, but he can speak for himself in these parts.

I spent a lot of time with them in Patterson Armory that year, because I was a Sunriser vagabond at the mercy of the likes of Brian Callahan who lived in Bergenfield b**bs It was cheap entertainment.

Was that the year the back wall fell down? Or was that later on?

We used to use the armory when I started in 1970. The drums would go downstairs in this little tiny room...talk about LOUD!

Spent a lot of time on marching basics in that place, and we learned the drill in bits and pieces until it was warm enough to go outside and put them together.

I know Hugh was back, and thought George was too. Might have been Bill Kauffman, though. That was the year after they did the Bridgemen disaster (except for my idea of "You and Me Against The World").

You might be right...I know Gerry did them one year in the 70's..not sure which. Dave Tintle, who played timpani in 70 and 71 when I marched, worked with them whatever year Gerry was involved, I think.

I used to go to the Hackensack jail to watch them rehearse...same place as when I marched as well! We could hear the inmates hooting and hollering all evening long! :P

Nah, I caught the tone. It just struck me as arrogant not sardonic so I thought I'd mess with it.

I saw 76 Garfield, 06 Cadets, Gerald Ford, and GWB but Millard Filmore was even before me. I hope you're not going with the bathtub in the White House thing, cause that's been debunked long ago.

"1976 Garfield Cadets":

EXCELLENT drum corps. Got REALLY bad breaks at Nationals and "DCI". If anyone had a claim to "Getting Ripped" it was they. LOVED the show. :blink:

Elphaba