Corps songs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast Sound (1980's) - Greatest Love of All (George Benson)

Cavaliers - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

This is actually not technically true. The Corps Song is the corps song, which has words and is set to the Coast Guard hymn, Semper Paratus. (The whole "We Are The Corps The Cavaliers" thing, if you've ever seen the corps before a performance.)

The tune the corps plays at encores is an arrangement of the Corps Song and Rainbow.

Carolina Crown - "Carolina in my Mind"

The hornline's song is theme from "Band of Brothers" as well, which is why it's played at encore.

I don't want to be petty but it really makes me mad to hear Crown play Band of Brothers.

In 2003 Jimmy Steele, Spirit's Brass Caption head, had our arranger at the time, Mark Fifer, write that song for us. The Shakespeare quote, "He who sheds blood with me this day, shall be called my brother." had been a hornline saying since 2002 and is even on the back of the 2003 hornline member shirt.

Band of Brothers was our on field warm-up in 03. In 04 the key was switched from Bb to Eb, but to the members of the 04 hornline it probably means even more. We sang it at the end of every day and continued to do so all the way until Jimmy left the corps at the end of 05. Singing that song was the very last thing I did in uniform on the field after retreat in Foxboro.

Now I know it's ridiculous for a corps to try and lay claim to song, but whatever it's just always a little bit frustrating to hear that song when I'm not part of it whether it be Spirit, Crown, or anyone else performing it.

Sort of the same way I always cringe at marching band competitions when I hear the first 5 notes of "Georgia" coming from the field.

/rant

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

Defenders (70's and 80's)

Maybe

Troopers - How The West Was Won

I don't want to be petty but it really makes me mad to hear Crown play Band of Brothers.

In 2003 Jimmy Steele, Spirit's Brass Caption head, had our arranger at the time, Mark Fifer, write that song for us. The Shakespeare quote, "He who sheds blood with me this day, shall be called my brother." had been a hornline saying since 2002 and is even on the back of the 2003 hornline member shirt.

Band of Brothers was our on field warm-up in 03. In 04 the key was switched from Bb to Eb, but to the members of the 04 hornline it probably means even more. We sang it at the end of every day and continued to do so all the way until Jimmy left the corps at the end of 05. Singing that song was the very last thing I did in uniform on the field after retreat in Foxboro.

Now I know it's ridiculous for a corps to try and lay claim to song, but whatever it's just always a little bit frustrating to hear that song when I'm not part of it whether it be Spirit, Crown, or anyone else performing it.

Sort of the same way I always cringe at marching band competitions when I hear the first 5 notes of "Georgia" coming from the field.

/rant

I agree. Also I have some recordings of the 03 hornline playing the Band of Brothers warm up if you are interested.