Corps songs

It makes me sad to know that someone who marched Regiment doesn't appreciate the importance, emotion and history of Elsa's and could even consider that anything else could be the corps' song. It illustrates the fact that there were some years when history and tradition were not emphasized with members quite as much as they should have been. Fortuntately, I believe that has been rectified.

Anyone who would question the choice of Elsa's have never heard it done. If you watch the end credits of the Regiment 50th anniversary DVD (89 hornline playing with the Kansas City Symphony), the subject is closed.

Elsa's is also the piece the corps played for the Cavies at retreat. That is something that needs to return to drum corps.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's aweome that you love Elsa's - we almost started playing it again in 03, but went with Amazing Grace. Elsa's has been a part of the VC since 04, and I have loved it, but the year I marched Amazing Grace was the one we played.

Thinking about it, no one ever really said what the corps song was - there are so many signature songs that its tough. Honestly, I don't think there is ONE corps song.

Mystikal - "Lean on Me" (originally just the words...they have an arrangement for the horns, but I don't know if they've used it yet)

We actually only sang that a few times: first comp, ageout ceremony, maybe a few other times. No arrangement for the horns that I saw.

I liked doing it though, even though I never really learned the words :P . Really made us feel more together, at least for me.

The Blue Devils do not officially have a corps song. And if they did, I don't really know what it would be. WAMLAW is barely ever played, maybe Tiger of San Pedro or Legend...One Eyed Sailor, who knows.

I don't know that it is "official," but they have played "Chase The Clouds Away" by Chuck Mangione in recent years. It seemed like their theme at the TOC in 2004 --- certainly a nostalgic-sounding tune from their past.

I was involved with two corps, one as a member and one as an instructor. I strongly advocated a corps song for both groups, but no one ever thought it was as great an idea as I did.

IMO, a corps song that can be sung and played is as important as uniforms, instruments, buses and staff. The song will plant the seed of family quickly, and grow over time. How many Scouts can hear their song without thinking of the corps? How many Cadets hear "Holy Name" before a show and tear up?

By the way, if you corps song has changed every few years then you don't have a corps song. You have a song that brings people together, is fun to sing and might even tug at a few heart strings, but if your vets don't know it and later years members don't know it....what is the point?

A corps song can develope over time, but I would argue that when you win the lottery and pick out your new corps name, colors and style of music.......you should also be thinking of a corps song.

Cavs, Madison and Bloooo are the only DCI corps songs I'm familiar with, so let's have some fun with this one and make a list, DCA included of course. :)

How about now defunct corps? I'm not 100% that any of these are official. Maybe some of you can corroborate...

27th Lancers - "Danny Boy"

Sky Ryders - "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"

Star of Indiana - "When You Wish Upon A Star"

Cadets - Cadillac of the Skies

Cadillac isn't really the corps song. The corps song is O Holy Name and has been around a lot longer than Cadillac. Cadillac is more of the victory tune that they play in encores, O Holy Name is what is sung before going on the field. (It's the same deal as the Cavaliers and their corps song vs Somewhere Over the Rainbow)

Maybe some of the confusion on what consists a corps song is due to the change of the composition of the average DCI corps. In the past corps were a lot like fraternal organizations; and had traditions that parellel such a group. Members stayed for many years, lived somewhat close to the corps headquarters; and identified to the group with a passion and a brotherhood that is not possible in a lot of the corps now. (Madison is one of the few exceptions, as a few others with a long and/or unique past). The evolution of the touring corps with the national memberships have changed that forever.

For better or for worse, DC is more of a mercinary activity now. And with that, the loss and fading of tradition...again, for better or for worse.

The Blue Devils do not officially have a corps song. And if they did, I don't really know what it would be. WAMLAW is barely ever played, maybe Tiger of San Pedro or Legend...One Eyed Sailor, who knows.

IT HAS TO BE HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN>>> DON"T WE WISH THEY COULD GO BACK TO THIS!

Maybe some of the confusion on what consists a corps song is due to the change of the composition of the average DCI corps. In the past corps were a lot like fraternal organizations; and had traditions that parellel such a group. Members stayed for many years, lived somewhat close to the corps headquarters; and identified to the group with a passion and a brotherhood that is not possible in a lot of the corps now. (Madison is one of the few exceptions, as a few others with a long and/or unique past). The evolution of the touring corps with the national memberships have changed that forever.

For better or for worse, DC is more of a mercinary activity now. And with that, the loss and fading of tradition...again, for better or for worse.

A lot of members stil stay for many years, and the sense of "brotherhood" (in the fraternal sense) is still there in a lot of corps. It's a bit insulting to the current members for you to say they will never be able to have the same passion and brotherhood as in the "Golden Days of Drum Corps." I can meet someone I never marched with but marched in my corps and sit down and have a nice talk about a lot of things and it will seem like I've known them forever because they have gone through the same things I have. Just because the shows are not as traditional as they used to be (although I would argue that many people 20 years ago would consider those shows untraditional) does not mean the corps have just abandoned their history and tradition.

Yes people switch corps, and a LOT of times it has nothing to do with placement, it has to do with how they fit in with their corps. If you go to a corps and don't have as good of a time because you don't fit in with the others then why wouldn't you switch? People whine and complain about corps loyalty, but loyalty isn't just some magic thing that you should have for everything you do. Loyalty is earned. I marched a corps whose philosophy was not what I (or most of my closest friends in the corps) was looking for, so we left that corps. Does that make us unloyal? Maybe. Did that corps deserve our loyalty? I would say no. It's not as black and white as people who change corps are unloyal ring chasers and people who don't are the only loyal ones in drum corps. You couldn't pay me enough to march anywhere other than my second drum corps, because they had what I was looking for. They earned my loyalty.