Program Coordinator Named for Madison Scouts

This is EXTREMELY encouraging. Jeff, Mark and Matt are all solid guys - alums who know what it means to be a Madison Scout. Matt is one of the more articulate, intelligent guys that you will ever meet, and is the perfect person to coordinate the ideas of the future creative staff. The enthusiasm and energy of Jeff and Mark is contagious.

The corps is in excellent hands.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that 2 of the 3 new hires for Scouts come out of the MSARP underscores what a positive experience the Alumni put together. Would these two have been available or even interested if they hadnt participated in this great event?

Other top corps who are pondering the value of Alumni or Reunion corps should take note of this. What better way to bring Alumni back into the fold, and in Scouts case two of them have assumed very important positions, not to mention MSARP director Randy Ferrie who now inhabits a Board seat.

Great news and best of luck to Matt. I think this means we can expect a great program from Madison this summer!

Edited by Scerpella

Is this the guy who played the mellophone solo in 88? One of my favorites of all time? :rolleyes:

Matt played french horn in '88- that was Kent Rochou (sp?), but Mr. Gregg was in the corps.

I do know that he won I&E a whole bunch of years in a row, both on FH and Mello.

I am REALLY excited about the coming year for Madison, and can't wait to hear the rest of the staff announcements!

As an aside, anyone else noticing that all of the threads dedicated to concern about the "demise" of the Scouts (i.e., ED non-renewal; staff turnover) generated more posts (and emotion) than these positive announcements? Where is everyone now?

Sometimes it's what people don't say that speaks the loudest.

Congratulations to Matt and the rest of the Madison Team. This is an outstanding choice and I'm grinning a devilish grin, which is pretty good since I have had only half of my coffee.

Great job guys! I look forward to seeing you all over the country.

Matt played french horn in '88- that was Kent Rochou (sp?), but Mr. Gregg was in the corps.

I do know that he won I&E a whole bunch of years in a row, both on FH and Mello.

I am REALLY excited about the coming year for Madison, and can't wait to hear the rest of the staff announcements!

Ahh..thanks...Kent..if you're out there..dude..you are tops in my book! :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is very encouraging news..I have the 93 DVD as well..loved that solo too. But it's encouraging news because the corps looks to be turning a corner. Good luck Madison. :angry:

Every field practice with MSARP was filled with Matt's voice CONSTANTLY reminding horn players of details... details ... DETAILS!! I was a snare drummer, and

I knew EXACTLY where my horn was supposed to be pointing and where I was supposed to make a snap turn, etc.!! Ha!! Cuz Matt was uncompromising on

absolute detail. I didn't know Matt personally... he was just another one of the guys in the project at first. But you could not be out on the field once summer

hit and not absolutely know who he was.

Straight lines... horns up and at the proper angle for the given set... absolute precision in movement... unwaivering attention to detail. These are my observations

of Matt from my experience with him on the field. He focused on the hornline in MSARP, but even in the drumline we knew the reminders he was going to say again,

and again...and again!

Guys... his voice will be burned into your mind as you hit sets and field staff comments start... you'll see. No microphone necessary... :P

Agreed! When I marched, Matt was one of the best instructors we had. Now that I look back on that time, he was only 24 or 25 my first year. AMAZING! But he seemed much older (like a wise old man in a 25 year old body).

I really wish I had got to spend more time with him actually, he seemed like really fun guy to hang out with. He was always laughing in his off time. But when he was in front of the horn line or working with the mellos he would take his work very seriously.

With the MSARP, I got to see him in a different light, as a marcher, and performer. As all the other posts state, Matt was ALWAYS on top of his game. Always one of the first back to his set, with his horn up, shouting reminders to the rest of the hornline. He always made time for any questions that I had. At the Stadium Bar after finals, I asked him about his experiences getting his Masters in Madison, and he spent a good 5-10 minutes explaining the program and encouraging my graduate education. Thanks Matt!

I am anxiously awaiting the show anouncement!